Author Topic: Retro key caps - like Amiga/Commodore keys:)  (Read 13430 times)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
Retro key caps - like Amiga/Commodore keys:)
« on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 03:26:56 »
Hello guys! I'm new to this forum.

I was wondering - cause I know it's going to be hard to get - if any of you guys have or know where could I buy those kinda retro, Amiga/Commodore color like key caps?
Like brown and creamy colors caps?
UK standard (ISO).

Like this

or this

or this

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:30:24 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
Re: Retro key caps - like Amiga/Commodore keys:)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 03:46:20 »
This is the more classic color, classic beige perhaps, and it can be found on eBay or in the classified section.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 04:38:51 »
Commodore Amiga keycaps are all either Dye Sublimation printed or Doubleshot.  They have a perfectly smoooooooth surface and they last forever without fading.  They might turn yellow if you left them in the sunlight, not sure about that though.  I have never seen any yellowed Amiga keycaps but I have seen yellowed cases.

All the ones I ever experienced, which is a lot, seemed to be either PBT or ABS.  Given how indestructible they seem, I will guess PBT.

If I remember, I will pop some keycaps tomorrow to figure out if they are Dye Sub or Doubleshot.

I'm like you, I Love the color scheme.  :-*
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline 1391406

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:11:32 »
The key cap color scheme of the Amiga basically looks like the color scheme of a Model M, in my opinion.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline phinix

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:31:58 »
This is the more classic color, classic beige perhaps, and it can be found on eBay or in the classified section.

Right, beige sounds better:)
Thing is classified section has most of the time ANSI version, not UK (ISO):(
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline phinix

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:34:29 »
Commodore Amiga keycaps are all either Dye Sublimation printed or Doubleshot.  They have a perfectly smoooooooth surface and they last forever without fading.  They might turn yellow if you left them in the sunlight, not sure about that though.  I have never seen any yellowed Amiga keycaps but I have seen yellowed cases.

All the ones I ever experienced, which is a lot, seemed to be either PBT or ABS.  Given how indestructible they seem, I will guess PBT.

If I remember, I will pop some keycaps tomorrow to figure out if they are Dye Sub or Doubleshot.

I'm like you, I Love the color scheme.  :-*

They're lovely aren't they?:D

I remember that case changed yellowish after few years on my Commodore 128, but keycaps stayed same.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 05:36:50 »
Do u still have your C128?
Could u please check what kind of switches that keyboard used?

C'mon, do it for Keyboard Science!  ;D
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline phinix

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 06:09:20 »
Unfortunately I don't have it anymore:(

I was leaning towards WASD key caps - light and dark grey. They would look the most similar to waht I want.
Unless I would choose white and light grey? Don't know.

This one, one of the client's designs, looks like light and dark grey caps.

What do you guys think?  Would white and light grey look better/ more like retro keys, or light and dark grey version?

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 06:27:10 »
Do you mean white/beige sets like this?

Cheapest way is to look on eBay for old Cherry boards to strip the caps off. Otherwise, check the Classifieds or make a post in the Classifieds for people selling white/beige Cherry sets (once you hit 60 posts). They are quite abundant. In fact boost has been trying to sell a set for a while, but there are also others that pop up in better condition. Keep in mind that you will need a compatibility kit known as a "Moogle Kit" to adapt these old sets to modern boards.

It's a little more effort, but it's so much nicer to get the original keys and it's cheaper than buying new sets with the similar colour scheme from WASD for example.

Also, that third image in the OP are key caps from feng, who is a vendor on Geekhack.

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 07:53:26 »
I've been building my filco with a set of DS cherry beige/grey caps in ISO, its taken a while and costs a bit as I wanted as much cherry I could get my hands on, and its not quite finished yet... but its been more fun trying to finish one set than it has been to just buy a complete set and then put that on.

Also, IMO WASD caps feel terrible and there legends arn't great at all... here is my board as it is right now... needing a moogle kit, modded cherry spacebar and the right profile 0 and . keys on my number pad and thats it!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 11:10:15 »
Cherry did make some keyboards for Amiga and Commodore, I have couple of them.
Cherry G80-879HAU aka Amiga 2000

Cherry G80-0499HAU aka Commodore PC5

Also found brown on beige dyesubs on TA typewriter, made by Cherry

Keep your eyes out on ebay. Though finding anything like these in GB makes it 200% more difficult.

Offline phinix

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 05:37:31 »
Do you mean white/beige sets like this?

Show Image

Cheapest way is to look on eBay for old Cherry boards to strip the caps off. Otherwise, check the Classifieds or make a post in the Classifieds for people selling white/beige Cherry sets (once you hit 60 posts). They are quite abundant. In fact boost has been trying to sell a set for a while, but there are also others that pop up in better condition. Keep in mind that you will need a compatibility kit known as a "Moogle Kit" to adapt these old sets to modern boards.

It's a little more effort, but it's so much nicer to get the original keys and it's cheaper than buying new sets with the similar colour scheme from WASD for example.

Also, that third image in the OP are key caps from feng, who is a vendor on Geekhack.

Yeah, these look awesome.
but trying to find those sounds like a looong process. Plus now when you told me, I will need moodle kit too for those Cherry caps. How much is that kit?
I'm thinking - WASD set of key caps, not like original retro style I want, but similar - those grey versions - would cost me around $60, so about £35.
I saw some beige Cherry UK ISO keyboards going for £60. Plus that moodle kit, would be much more.
I'm not saying it's not worth it - I would love to have those original caps, but it sounds expensive. I didn't realise it will be that much :eek:
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 January 2013, 06:15:58 by phinix »

Offline phinix

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 06:19:54 »
I've been building my filco with a set of DS cherry beige/grey caps in ISO, its taken a while and costs a bit as I wanted as much cherry I could get my hands on, and its not quite finished yet... but its been more fun trying to finish one set than it has been to just buy a complete set and then put that on.

Also, IMO WASD caps feel terrible and there legends arn't great at all... here is my board as it is right now... needing a moogle kit, modded cherry spacebar and the right profile 0 and . keys on my number pad and thats it!

Show Image

Looks great man!

What do you mean by saying that WASD caps are terrible? Are they sound weird, feel weird? What's with their legends? Do they come off after a time?
What is overall quality of those WASD caps?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 06:40:07 »
I have two WASD sets a yellow one and a dark gery one, and for my the plastic is too thin and the legends too small so they just dont look that good at all and feel pretty ****ty compared to proper cherry keys or idd anyother type of thicker key.

I do have some beige sets/bits if your interested in buying them off me, I've not got a complete set my self so they would mearly be a starting point, pm me if your interested :)

Offline phinix

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 06:20:31 »
I have two WASD sets a yellow one and a dark gery one, and for my the plastic is too thin and the legends too small so they just dont look that good at all and feel pretty ****ty compared to proper cherry keys or idd anyother type of thicker key.

I do have some beige sets/bits if your interested in buying them off me, I've not got a complete set my self so they would mearly be a starting point, pm me if your interested :)

Cool! Sorry I just noticed your reply:)
Can you please show me what do you have left from those beige sets?

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 08:43:19 »
I love the feel of my WASD keycaps.  I have black keycaps with white legends to match my black Rosewill case.

It would not hurt one bit to have an ez Large Legends option.  Lasering looks better on large legends afaict.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 08:50:44 »

Cool! Sorry I just noticed your reply:)
Can you please show me what do you have left from those beige sets?

pm'd