Author Topic: Help the newb, Majestouch 2, hate the keycaps  (Read 1746 times)

Offline Calcifar

Help the newb, Majestouch 2, hate the keycaps
« on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:18:55 »
hello,

So I made the plunge and bought a Majestouch 2 tenkeyless.
The switches are awesome and so is the quality of this board.

But these Keycaps are killing me.
They are too thin for my taste and the outward curve on the lower rows is very obstructive to me.

To illustrate my dilemma, my previous Keyboard which I used for several years :

Rubberdome logitech ultra flat.

The logical choice for me should have been the cherry g80-3800.
However that board seems to be of lower quality and is only available in china so far.
I sit in the UK.

Ordering a 3800 from china, just for the keycaps for my filco seems a bit crazy.
There must be other Keycaps that come close to this ? Like the standard Cherry Keycaps maybe ?

What are good Keycap sellers here in Europe and specifically the UK ?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Help the newb, Majestouch 2, hate the keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:24:11 »
qwerkeys are UK based and offer several keycap profiles, but at the moment they only offer alphanumericals, no mods.

Offline precarious

• LOOK MOM, I'M A DRAGONZORD! DOOOO DODOODODODOODOO
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:26:52 »
how long have you been using the keyboard to get used to it?  if you're coming f rom a low profile board like that, you may just need to give it a week or two.  having used stock filco keycaps on my majestouch 2 for a while, and then switching over to cherry doubleshots / pbt, i can say there really shouldn't be too much of a difference between thick and thin keycaps outside of the sound.

i'm sure if you check the classifieds section you could find a set of something suitable for sale.  the three major profiles you'd be looking at will be OEM, Cherry, and SP.  if you're having issues with the bottom row, I wouldn't recommend a Signature Plastics set, though.

i'm sure some other members will have more useful things to say. :)

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 14:29:14 »
You can find some GB or vendor here that will send it to you.

Right now, I know there is Feng GB for pbt cherry keys.

I also think that Imsto has some.

There is others for sure, I am just still quite n00b in here, but search and you will find some. Also there's always someone that is trading/selling theirs.

Just look at the GB, vendors and classified. If you are not sure what the profile is, just ask and someone will answer.
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Calcifar

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 January 2013, 17:14:00 »
So, are there keycap sets apart from the g80-3800 which have a flat key- profile.

I dont mind of they are as low or not, this is mostly about the flat profile.

It is this curve in the profile which irritates me most. :mad:

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 09:36:58 »
It is this curve in the profile which irritates me most. :mad:
Screwball profile irritates me too.  Take your keycaps off and look at them side by side to see how stupid they are.  Every row is a different height, and a different angle.

I am like you, I want all my keycaps to have the same angle.  I don't mind them having a small angle to them as long as they all have the same angle.  I can adjust my keyboard by placing something under the the front or back to get the keys exactly the way I want, as long as all the keys have same shape.

I currently have a big thingamajig under the front of my keyboard to hold it up and make my keyboard be more flat as trying to type on the bottom rows was killing me.

We can get Signature Plastics to create keysets using all same row profile.  And it'll only cost like $3000.00 for 10 sets.  The cost per set drops dramatically in larger numbers, such as 50.

You can ignore the previous comments about Signature Plastics as that only applied to the screwball profile, not the normal profile that you and I want.

Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline Calcifar

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 16:58:40 »
so i suppose im outta luck and got to try and get used to this ?

I might really import a g80-3800 for the keycaps...