Author Topic: Geekhack Pack Jan '13: "so I had some keys made.."  (Read 17508 times)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Geekhack Pack Jan '13: "so I had some keys made.."
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 01:02:43 »
Hey - can these be made in reverse?  Using the transparent material as the first shot and the blue (or other colour) as the second shot, to make backlighting friendly keycaps? :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sifo

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Illustrious
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 01:05:00 »
It looks like it can be done but I don't know how consistent the transparent shot will be for it to allow the light to pass through on all the keys
I love Elzy

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 07:18:40 »
Hey - can these be made in reverse?  Using the transparent material as the first shot and the blue (or other colour) as the second shot, to make backlighting friendly keycaps? :D
technically, it can be done, but that the result won't be quite what you want -- the issue is that the second shot actually completely surrounds the first shot _except_ where the legend pokes through to the top of the key, and a few stochastic points on the underside of the key where the 2nd shot doesn't quite flow through the first shot lattice. flip any standard ABS 2-shot from SP over and you'll see what i mean. however, keep in mind that the second shot in a 2-shot abs/polycarb key is not necessarily injection molded at the same pressure and as a 2-shot ABS.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 07:21:11 »
Wouldn't the light that shines through not be consistent as well, because of the weave pattern of the first shot?
Looking for CC's!

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 08:12:07 »
it depends on the legend design, random variation in exactly how the key was formed, the brightness of the backlight, the opacity of the 2nd shot material, etc.

luckily, i like experimenting :D

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline linkz

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 08:23:27 »
Wouldn't the light that shines through not be consistent as well, because of the weave pattern of the first shot?

I would guess so, but that would make it even cooler, no?

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 08:23:56 »
Very lucky indeed! Can't wait to see what else you come up with!
Looking for CC's!

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 08:25:43 »

I would guess so, but that would make it even cooler, no?

Ehhh. The way I envision it, it would look cheap/half-assed. I could be wrong though.
Looking for CC's!

Offline whiskerBox

Geekhack Pack Jan '13: "so I had some keys made.."
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 08:32:05 »
So when are we starting the GB on a full set of these?
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline Kabuks

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 11:52:28 »
Ordered a set and some other stuff last night, my 2nd order from Techkeys in the last 5 days. :p

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 12:26:49 »
i should also mention that i picked up one of boiler's awesome new keypullers when i grabbed my samples of the keys. o.m.g best. keypuller. ever. i've used the leopold puller, bent paperclips, all kinds of crap, and this one is easily the best i've used. it has better tension and wire shape than the filco/leopold, and length is perfect -- it gives you a bit more leverage on stubborn caps like tight MX keys or two-piece BS.

ARE YOU A WIZARD, BOILER?!?!

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 12:33:35 »
i should also mention that i picked up one of boiler's awesome new keypullers when i grabbed my samples of the keys. o.m.g best. keypuller. ever. i've used the leopold puller, bent paperclips, all kinds of crap, and this one is easily the best i've used. it has better tension and wire shape than the filco/leopold, and length is perfect -- it gives you a bit more leverage on stubborn caps like tight MX keys or two-piece BS.

where can you get this magical device from?? (url?)

oh and I ordered a set, and also the layout board from the pervious GH group

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 13:14:33 »
ohh that thing, but it just looks like a standard wasd/filco puller? :/

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 13:37:57 »
yes, frankly they're all wires on sticks, but i'll be damned if this one doesn't work a bit better than my leopold and all the makeshift crap i've made. it's possible that the filco and wasd pullers are just as good; i haven't used those.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 18:21:08 »
technically, it can be done, but that the result won't be quite what you want -- the issue is that the second shot actually completely surrounds the first shot _except_ where the legend pokes through to the top of the key, and a few stochastic points on the underside of the key where the 2nd shot doesn't quite flow through the first shot lattice. flip any standard ABS 2-shot from SP over and you'll see what i mean. however, keep in mind that the second shot in a 2-shot abs/polycarb key is not necessarily injection molded at the same pressure and as a 2-shot ABS.

Thanks for the detailed response.

But ... most backlighting is (or has a setting that is) fairly bright, so anywhere underneath that the first shot flows through to the legend on top should allow sufficient light to leak out to illuminate the keycap.  And given that it is transparent, as opposed to translucent, should let more light through?

Another but ... relying on that mechanism to produce uniform lighting across the keyboard would be silly, as that is not the way backlighting is intended to work.

Ok, bad idea, although you might get a vaguely useable set out of it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jabar

« Reply #66 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 11:07:39 »
Since PBT/PBT doubleshots are difficult to achieve, what about PBT/polycarbonate legends? That would, in my opinion, be acceptable as a "doubleshot" PBT keycap while allowing for backlighting to work (without doing what TG3 does).
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 17:43:45 »
.. and here we go :)

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 17:44:38 »
Beautiful  ^-^
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 17:56:01 »
Oooo, those are some sexy pictures mkawa

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 18:02:27 »
Ok for real lets do a whole set, someone start the GB
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 18:04:43 »

Yes please.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 19:45:10 »

Yes please.

X2! And lets make them all different colours! Rainbow unicorn vomit led board catastrophe!
But in all seriousness, more yes, at least a function or number row

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 23:52:31 »
Great look - like frosted glass :)

Offline linkz

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 00:27:24 »
I would really like it if it is done in other colors beside this blue!

Offline Preach

• The Insane
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 02:01:17 »
I would really like it if it is done in other colors beside this blue!

even if you don't like it, the purchase directly helps GH as the money goes to help this community.

I myself love these caps and wanted to help so I ordered on friday.
QFR - Browns |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 16:27:37 »

mkawa, you are correct. i3oiler is a wizard. The wires are spaced so that the fit around the caps easily and the tension is nice. The Filco one isn't bad but the shape is a bit off and there's no spacing so you have to constantly adjust.

Also, the pack is SO nice. I just got mine today  :D

Offline Sifo

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Illustrious
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 15 January 2013, 02:43:59 »
I really like my WASD puller. I should have gotten one of these to check it out.
I love Elzy

Offline tauburn

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 19:06:04 »
i wish they made full sets of them.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 03:57:49 »
i have to say that i think they are really cool on my board

i wish there was a entire set of these, even better with caps to fit on a ergodox, clear ergodox case, clear DS caps, be swweeeet. i can dream.....

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 22:15:46 »
The only way these will look good is if there is a full set of them.  Or if you happened to have a blue keyboard with white keycaps.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 02:24:03 »
I would also like to see a full pack of these.

Offline dieseldog49

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 25 January 2013, 17:47:53 »
Ordering a Set, but I would really love to see these in other colors such as Red, Green, Purple, Orange ect... Awesome Ideas for sure though!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #83 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 01:30:20 »
Ordering a Set, but I would really love to see these in other colors such as Red, Green, Purple, Orange ect... Awesome Ideas for sure though!

Maybe next month ... ?

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 11:46:23 »

Maybe next month ... ?

Orange "March" Pack '13

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 13:57:57 »
i'm going to do my best to keep one key or pack a month rolling in. however, please keep in mind that i am fronting the funds for this myself (they are my experiments, after all :), so we'll have to see how things go.

Offline dieseldog49

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 14:06:10 »
Cant wait :) , I bough this pack just to check out the technique and support the idea.

Offline jabar

« Reply #87 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 18:36:58 »
Wait what is this doubleshot PBT (really?!) green smiley key now available!?
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #88 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 18:44:52 »
Wait what is this doubleshot PBT (really?!) green smiley key now available!?

http://www.techkeys.us/custom-keys.php

It's the first one :)

Offline jabar

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 19:29:54 »
I would have seen that but the techkeys newsletter hit my spam bin... now that's fixed.

Phantom 7bit

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 19:42:43 »
I have a little extra bit of plastic under my Enter:

It doesn't impact on switch performance, so I left it there for now.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 19:48:23 »
this is a note to boilermaker to throw another set (free ofc) in with your next techkeys order :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 20:47:35 »
No need for that - it doesn't impact key switch performance at all, and looks like it is just a bit of extra second shot plastic that squeezed thru the first shot.

You can't tell at all from the top.

Offline dieseldog49

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 20:58:04 »
Just got mine in, here is a pic

I quite like the technique and I cannot wait for other colors, I would gladly buy every color set that I mentioned earlier. And if you could come up with a Spacebar that said GeeK HacK on it I would kill for that, now I just need a backlit keyboard!

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 07:58:54 »
Just ordered mine! Whats February gonna bring?
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 10:48:16 »
Feb keys are going to be awesome ... Just sayn'

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 11:26:37 »
What's the eta on those?
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 11:38:20 »
I said too much

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 11:38:27 »

I'm starting to feel a bit like a junkie and you're my pusher.  :p

Can't wait to see the new keys.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 11:41:47 »