Author Topic: Home made Xbox 360 arcade stick  (Read 3697 times)

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
Home made Xbox 360 arcade stick
« on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 00:20:49 »
I thought someone here might find this interesting/amusing

I started this project a few years ago then left it unfinished. So earlier last year I finished it. The arcade controls are Happ with Cherry switches. The guts are out of a stock wireless 360 controller. The outside battery compartment is radio shack. I built this for DOA and other fighting games, but it works well for the arcade classics too. Oh and the ring of light around the power buttons works.

Flame away....

I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline reverkiller

Re: Home made Xbox 360 arcade stick
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 00:25:04 »
This is pretty cool!

The less creatively inclined of us bought our arcade sticks :))
Stockpile: Das Keyboard Ultimate (Blues), Ducky YotD (Reds), Model M ('87), Poker (Reds), Siig Minitouch (ALPS) || In Progress: Phantom || Wishlist: Filco Japanese Layout (Browns)

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 00:28:30 »
The less creatively inclined of us bought our arcade sticks :))

But what fun would that be? You know, the funny thing is that after I was done, I had way more money in this than I would have if I just bought a Hori stick to begin with.

Offline KangarooZombies

• HHKB Pro
  • ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 01:04:57 »
Wow, bravo. I seriously would never even think to do this, i just went on amazon, but seriously, this is outstanding dude. Kudos.
Having a bad day?
QFR/Pure/FC660C(45G)/HHKB Pro 2(45G)/RF 87U (55G)

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 01:10:42 »
Nice,  would be a great project for me to do. Maybe on a rainy day... ^o^
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline BlindRAGE606

• Prince of All Saiyans
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 03:07:23 »
This thing was made to cut off thigh circulation!

Looks great.

DUCKY TKL MX BLACK | HHKB PRO 2 | BEAST PH&LACEWOOD

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 08:26:20 »
I had the idea myself but a search showed that I was not the first to do it. I cannot take credit for the research.

If you are interested in doing it, here's where I got some of the info:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=512284
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=605873
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=581887

I cannot verify these links still work since my web filter at work blocks video game sites, but those are the links I had saved in my favorites. xbox-scene is my favorite resource for all things xbox mod related.

The beauty of this is that you can buy a receiver for the wireless interface and use the xbox controller with the PC. I have been meaning to pick one of these up

example: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2

Offline Saviant

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 06:26:24 »
It is good to see other people with arcade sticks on a keyboard forum  :)
My woodwork and metal skills were never good so I went the option of paying someone to custom make mine.

I was into this type of thing before I moved on from it as I was able to obtain 2 of the best custom made cases in the arcade gaming community. One from the man himself B15SDM and the other from Voltech. Attached pictures of both below.

The B15SDM (White) is fitted with a modified PS3 controller allowing for wireless use and wired to a Neutrik USB link for charging or cable use, JLF stick, and Seimitsu PS14 KN buttons with artwork done by D3V from shoryuken.com.

The Voltech case (Black) made with a powdercoated steel shell, the frame is made out of black PVC, wired with a custom controller that allows for Xbox 360/PS3 and PC use. Wired to a Neutrik USB link so I can move it around, JLF stick, and Seimitsu PS14 KN buttons with artwork done by D3V and adjusted to suit this case from Voltech as it was intended for a different case originally.

I did all the wiring myself as that is more my type of thing, but I will admit I love the feeling of turning the blank shells into the final product.
This hobby made keyboards look cheap in comparison, both arcade sticks cost me in the 4 - 500 USD range each.

A good site for arcade sticks and mods is http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php , all the custom controllers used were made by members of the community there.

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 January 2013, 06:54:43 by Saviant »

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 06:39:30 »
Those sticks are hawt! Really nice organization on the insides too. I was gonna make mine used the rechargeable Xbox batteries but I got lazy and just used the AA holder from radio Shack.

Offline Saviant

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 06:49:23 »
The second one I so wanted to braid all the cables but they are so short inside so I took the easy way out. :)

I am not sure on the xbox batteries, but from what I remember on my first 360 those rechargable batteries always failed on him, so I would go the AA option too with some nice 2450 mah battteries :)

Offline Lanx

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 06:55:32 »
what the f? would you guys mind doing a quick price breakdown? i'm curious where all that cash went to (besides custom cases and all that). I just bought a hori stick for my nephew, he brings it with him to college and plays in the anime club, where they all bring their own sticks!

he's like "uncle, you got me a good stick, i tried these others and they're not so great" i'm like "well yea (even tho i know nothing about fighting games really, i just know for quality go for hori/sanwa and tried to find one since they were elusive) i get you good input devices, just like that mechanical keyboard that i personally modded for you" he goes "oh yea that loud thing? it types well i guess and it hasn't broken like the last one (logitech membrane)".

Offline Saviant

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 07:52:58 »
Just to give your an idea on mine, the shells cost me around 300 usd shipped alone, the buttons on each about 50 usd, the jlf with octagonal gate and ball tops about 50 usd, the neutrik link and cables about 20 usd. The controller in the white one was a ps3 controller and the pcb for wiring cost me 80usd. The controller in the black one was 70 usd. Artwork design and printing another 40 usd.

As you can see costs way to much lol.

I do have a hori vlx stick that cost me 350 usd and it is the top of the line in hori's line.
The problem with most hori sticks are they only use hori switches and joystick which are not up to the quality of sanwa/seimitsu. My vlx is all sanwa but is super large and heavy, more like an arcade machine.

« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2013, 08:00:35 by Saviant »

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 08:30:17 »
I went cheap on mine. I also bought the parts in 2006 and didn't finish the project until 2012. Yeah, I know. So a search of my email says I bought a happy ultimate joystick and happ buttons from eBay for about $30. I scrounged the rest of the parts. I'm not that serious about arcade stick gaming just at the time two of my friends had the DOA hori sticks and we played DOA 4 a lot so I thought it would be a fun project.

Offline Saviant

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 10:05:01 »
You got a good deal on the happ stuff, I know they cost as much as the sanwa/seimitsu stuff now a days. I started mine when SF4 came out and since then the prices are still around the same cost as I paid for em. I still wish I could of made my shells myself, would of saved me a ton of money, it feels more personal when you spend the time and design it to your liking. :)

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 23:00:10 »
Yeah, honestly I am embarrassed by that case though. It is something I cobbled together so long ago before I had better tools/woodworking skills/patience.

I have the intentions to build another better case one day but that will probably never happen. But it is satisfying to look at it and say I made it. Your sticks, however, are gorgeous.