Author Topic: Identifying Old and New Genuine Cherry Red Esc Keycaps?  (Read 4943 times)

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
Identifying Old and New Genuine Cherry Red Esc Keycaps?
« on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 22:26:58 »
Just took some macro pictures of old an new genuine Cherry red Esc keycaps.  2 new ones from EK and 1 old one from a limited run for a Chinese Cherry keyboard for a pro-gamer team.

I notice something that is different between the old and the new.  Not a definitive way to ID old vs. new.  But if we get more pictures of the under side of these keycaps and other Cherry double shot keycaps, we might be able to either confirm or dismiss the difference as a way to ID.

Now, can you tell which one is which?

Offline jeroplane

Re: Identifying Old and New Genuine Cherry Red Esc Keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 22:36:13 »
Original Cherry used more cross-hatching on their 1st shot :)

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 22:37:13 »
Also the E isn't as crooked as some of the $5 ones are.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 22:37:48 »
Yep, the center one is the "original."
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jeroplane

« Last Edit: Sat, 12 January 2013, 22:59:14 by jeroplane »

Offline litster

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 22:56:52 »
 in my pictures, the center one is the old one.  on the picture of the underside of the caps, the old one has a horizontally rotated G on the edge of the cap.  The new ones have a vertical G. 

Picture of tsangan's old one (horizontal G) and WFD's new one (vertical G) show the same thing I see.

I checked a couple other Esc caps.  A German pad-printed blue Esc and a Dolch Esc both have horizontal G.  All other old 1x keys I checked have vertical G.

So far I only see other non-Esc keycaps and the new red Esc keycaps have vertical G.

Not enough to say one way or the other yet.

Offline litster

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 12 January 2013, 23:38:03 »
Found a few more Esc keycaps and other top row caps.  Every Esc cap except one black Esc and the new red Esc caps have a horizontally rotated G.  The first dark Esc is a white on black.  The secon dark Esc is a Dolch.

Definitely not definitive  :-)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 00:52:00 »
The Cherry one is the one you pay $250 for. That's the difference.

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 01:55:21 »
So you don't think the cross-hatching is enough to comprehensively identify new from old, litster? The difference in that respect seems pretty consistent across the range and since we can safely assume that the original ones were made in a single batch, it is unlikely that any original key would have the "new" 1st shot cross-hatching as seen in the EK Red Esc and a few of the other key caps in your image.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 January 2013, 01:57:17 by jeroplane »

Offline litster

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 02:36:09 »

Do you know that for sure?  Do you know how much I paid for mine?

Offline litster

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 02:38:54 »
So you don't think the cross-hatching is enough to comprehensively identify new from old, litster? The difference in that respect seems pretty consistent across the range and since we can safely assume that the original ones were made in a single batch, it is unlikely that any original key would have the "new" 1st shot cross-hatching as seen in the EK Red Esc and a few of the other key caps in your image.

Yes, the mesh pattern is probably enough.  I am more surprised to see markings under the caps in my macro shots than anything else.  I didn't know about the markings until today.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 02:39:10 »

$5? :p

Offline dirge

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 03:53:22 »
posted on deskthority litster but I've checked and what you've found is correct at least in my case.
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline linkz

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 05:59:55 »
Even though there's a way to identify the old red cherry, I don't think that's enough to salvage the price with the $5 version everywhere ('o' )

Offline singaporean123

• I like keycaps and I cannot lie
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 13 January 2013, 06:15:47 »

$14

Offline AriesX

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 00:32:03 »
Fonts different.

Offline remmeh

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 12:03:37 »
I didn't realize the E was so slanted on the $5 replicas...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 13:13:08 »
The biggest question is whether you could still sell an original one for $250.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 13:43:29 »
Fonts different.

I didn't realize the E was so slanted on the $5 replicas...

These are not replicas, they are literally the same molds that Cherry used, unless we are totally mistaken about GMK.  My understanding is that not all Es on the new escapes are slanted like this.  There are a lot of variables to executing the 2-shot process that might be at play here.  Maybe Ben will come in here and enlighten us.

Offline litster

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 17:29:03 »
The biggest question is whether you could still sell an original one for $250.

I don't think that is the biggest question.  But the answer is an obvious no.  Really, why would anyone pay that much for a keycap, now or then?

I am more interested in what those underside markings really mean.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 18:30:30 »
But people did pay that much for such a keycap in the past.  On more than on occasion.

These days you would need to be absolutely certain you were getting the genuine article to even consider paying that much for one.  If the originals are even worth that much, now that the market is flooded with new ones.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline litster

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 19:52:14 »
Like Hashbaz said earlier, they are all genuine.  Just very slightly different.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 17 January 2013, 20:41:29 »
Perhaps "original" would be a better word than "genuine".  With the implication that the keycap was part of the first limited edition batch.