Author Topic: Hi I'm chuck  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Dabless

Hi I'm chuck
« on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 15:29:20 »
Hi, I'm new here and I need some advice.

I have a crosshair k90 (http://www.corsair.com/en/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/9/k90_top_us_lit.png) as you can see this is not a "Beautiful keyboard". I bought this because of the Marco + blacklithg + USB hub. I want to know if there is a way to paint the kay cap without "losing" the letter, and the bliacklight effect. I am too poor to buy key cap, I wasted all my money in this keyboard l0l.

Thanks !

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: Hi I'm chuck
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 15:32:54 »
I would aviod painting key caps, because you will just rub of the paint, there are many other reasons but this is the simplest. If you did decide to spray paint it, then you would find the paint would go sticky and be horrible to use, you are best off saving up some pennies and buying some nice cheap keys. 
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 January 2013, 15:35:38 by Tym »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 15:35:51 »
Welcome to the forum good sir. Just wish you had more Dab about you  :))
Definitely haven't wasted your money! I really like the plate design, just the keyboard would be too wide for my desk.
I personally don't know how to paint the cap and still achieve letters + backlight whilst still making the keyboard look good but you've come to the right place.
 I think i'd just save up more money to buy newer caps, although wanting to keep the backlit makes that a bit more difficult!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 15:44:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Unfortunately they are black keycaps, so you would need a fair few layers of paint to change the colour.  This would, as you might guess, also paint over the transparent lettering.

Also unfortunately there are very few sets of backlighting-friendly keycaps around at the moment.  So try to tolerate them for now, hopefully in time some cheapish backlight-friendly keycaps will be available.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 January 2013, 21:12:08 »
Hi, I'm new here and I need some advice.

I have a crosshair k90 (http://www.corsair.com/en/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/k/9/k90_top_us_lit.png) as you can see this is not a "Beautiful keyboard". I bought this because of the Marco + blacklithg + USB hub. I want to know if there is a way to paint the kay cap without "losing" the letter, and the bliacklight effect. I am too poor to buy key cap, I wasted all my money in this keyboard l0l.

Thanks !

With all the information in your head and being an IT guy I'd assume you know the answer to that already ahahah.... This will be really awkward if you don't get the reference....

Anyways welcome to GeekHack! :P
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0