Author Topic: Filco keycaps replacement  (Read 10917 times)

Offline smockey

Filco keycaps replacement
« on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 08:38:48 »
Hello there!

I'm the proud owner of a Filco MJ2 ninja TKL for a couple months now :

You will notice the ISO layout that has been a real pain in the ass when trying to find a nice keyset to replace the stock ones :p
Unfortunately, I can't afford switching to ANSI because :
1) I'm really used to having a huge return key
2) I'm using dvorak-bepo-fr layout and I need the 2 extra keys that ISO layout offers

All that said, here comes the core of the thread.
First and foremost, I want to get a PBT blank white keyset. The main idea behind this is to replace letters/number keys/directional arrow, leaving only modifiers/return/space bar/F#/top right side keys in black. Since I could not find a full keyset for ISO TKL layout, I'm considering getting a 108 ANSI set which will let me extra keys to fill in for missing keys from 87 ANSI keyset I found :

(found at mechanicalkeyboard.com

Do you guys think this is a wise idea or are you aware of some place where I could get the keyset I need (and only it, thus saving money by not getting useless extra caps)?

I'm also considering getting a few fancy caps like this one :

(http://www.techkeys.us/custom-keys.php)

I would only get some I could find a nice bundle (because I won't spend the same amount of money on caps & ordering fee!)

TL;DR :
1) Is there any place where I can find a 88 ISO White Blank PBT keyset?
2) If not, will a 108 ANSI White Blank PBT be good enough to achieve the same purpose?
3) Is there any place where I could find a bundle for either 1) or 2) and a few fancy caps?

PS : I've been looking for a topic summing up good practices about posting on the forum but could not find one. If by any mean I did break implicit rules in the present thread (like by posting too large image), just let me know, I'd be glad to correct myself :D
Filco MJ2 TKL (MX Brown)  // PBT caps // o-rings mod
KBT Pure (MX Red) // PBT caps / o-rings mod

Offline jabar

Re: Filco keycaps replacement
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 11:58:14 »
Unfortunately those Ducky blank PBT sets seem to be the only source that I'm aware of. That, and finding PBT in ISO is generally difficult as a lot of Asian boards stick to ANSI. You can also check out qtan's store; he has some fancy caps and sets but not exactly what you desire:

http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/category/cateogry1-name/catId=3982960

He has a subforum here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=81.0 You can maybe ask him via PM, or also IMSTO and feng who have imported PBT sets before.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 13:01:13 »
Ducky has ISO PBT set, they are available from some Finnish and Swedish etailers like this one... I have no idea if they ship to France or another that does if not. If not you might find some Finnish member to help you.

Offline smockey

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 14:19:14 »
Sadly enough, they do not seem to ship to France  :'(

Edit : It seems that I found a Finnish retailer that MIGHT deliver worldwide. I've sent a mail to their customer service to get help about this (since I dont read Finnish very well :D )

From what I could understand, It will roughly cost 75€~ (including shipping fee). Not yet too sure about it since the fee is indicated for delivery within Finland.

Yet, if anyone has an better idea (meaning by that a cheaper price :D ), I'm still listening as I did not order anything.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 January 2013, 15:13:43 by smockey »

Offline jabar

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 15:11:49 »
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline smockey

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 15:37:27 »
Reading the URL, I thought "Oh my God, I found the Holy Grail", but when clicking the links : "Site opening soon" :'(
Anyway, I'll keep an eye on it, thanks for sharing :D