Author Topic: What's everyone do with all their keyboards?  (Read 14430 times)

Offline Nedlinin

Re: What's everyone do with all their keyboards?
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 23:43:47 »
why do people do this?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 00:16:28 »
Because keyboards are neat-o

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 08 March 2013, 00:25:05 »
I sold them all and kept the ones that mattered  8)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 12:32:54 »
I sold them all and kept the ones that mattered  8)
I did too! All two of them. And still have the other 20 or so.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 14:36:14 »
I use my Filco everyday, clean the keycaps after every use, take the caps off to get rid of dust underneath, admire it for at least 5 minutes every day etc.......

Basically what this guy does.

I'll probably end up moving to a WASD V2 though. I really want a board with MX Clears because browns are too light for me and 55g might not be that bad. I didn't like 60g springs though (MX Black).
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline noons

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 11 March 2013, 19:50:26 »
why do people do this?
Seriously? You know you're on geekhack right? I would love something like this.
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline morpheus

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:44:44 »
Gaming, writing, typeracer.

I just love to type, even though my average typing speed is only 65.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 17:43:39 »
No pics so far.
one pic for the TS as requested:

Show Image

What's the black board on the desk next to the white one? I'm assuming its for gaming.
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 17:46:44 »
Looks like a Tipro POS board

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 17:47:04 »
What's the black board on the desk next to the white one? I'm assuming its for gaming.

I believe that is a Tipro. GeorgeK has some nice shots of his at this link.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 18:58:22 »
I use mine.  My extra I use at work.

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 07:38:21 »
yeah, right. It's a matrix Tipro 12x8. It's nice to have some phrases programmed like "Enemy at Point A" or "I need a medic here".

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 06:33:46 »
No pics so far.
one pic for the TS as requested:

Show Image

I have to admit, that's perdy 'n all. But do you actually work with these beauties? Your desk doesn't look like my desk...which is covered in paperwork (I'm paperless...honest). If you just sit and type 'the quick brown fox jumps over some stuff' while you stare at these Bad Boys...well, that would be sad.

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 08:37:26 »
I'm using ANSI keyboards. In the meantime I dislike ISO layout. Some of the boards are in "my cycle of boards". Always welcome: white Noppoo, Deck 82 in variants, white Race and of course Tipro.

Whats the exatcly meaning of "perdy 'n"? I think and hope something positive ;)

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 15:32:33 »
I'm using ANSI keyboards. In the meantime I dislike ISO layout. Some of the boards are in "my cycle of boards". Always welcome: white Noppoo, Deck 82 in variants, white Race and of course Tipro.

Whats the exatcly meaning of "perdy 'n"? I think and hope something positive ;)

lol, I was attempting to sound like a hillbilly. And yes, my comments were meant to be complimentary. I had just gotten off a several hour gaming session with some buddies. We trash talk and only compliment one another with insults. I was obviously still in that mindset. I'm sure the whisky didn't help in the communication process.

Translation of my original text:

You have a beautiful keyboard collection, and it's cool how you have them displayed. Clean and simple, which shows off the boards very well. I'm envious. I'm also envious of your lack of paper and clutter on your desk, because mine looks like sh**t.   :D

Got that cleared up. Moving on...

Where did you get the shelving unit? I also like your wall mount LCD arm. I have my displays on deskmount arms and really like it. I recover my desk real estate and can easily move my displays around. And it's a good idea to change your focal distance throughout the day. Much easier on your eyes. With a display mount, it's easy to do that.

Offline CeeSA

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 02:35:18 »
Thank you. I always feel better with a tidy desk. It's easy since I moved my solder station etc. to a different room upstairs.
Yeah, wall mount LCD is a thing to enjoy.

And it's a Ikea shelf named "Lack" iirc.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 02:51:11 »
A tidy desk does not mean that there is no work getting done, it means the owner of that desk is an OCD clean freak. I am the same, though my setup is nowhere near as amazing. It makes sense as well. This way, your keyboards have a function even when you do not use them. Basically, they are to be looked at, and are part of the "look" of the computer room, like appropriately themed art.

To answer OP's question. I have three. One for the computer in our study, one at work, and one to use with my laptop. I must admit that the latter hardly sees any use. One thing I do not do is clean them frequently. Though when they get visibly dirty I try to clean them a little bit. Often I am too lazy to take of the keycaps though.

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 April 2013, 02:55:33 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline iri

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 05:44:23 »
it means the owner of that desk is an OCD clean freak
which disorder word do you have for the owner of this desk?

17793-0
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 07:13:33 »
it means the owner of that desk is an OCD clean freak
which disorder word do you have for the owner of this desk?

(Attachment Link)

First of all I love the " 80's cartoon" colors of the keycaps. Maybe it is just me, but I see that keyboard and think of transformers.

Anyway, couple of things stand out, you are a leftie, that teapot is awesome , and maybe ADD would be the way to describe it, since you seem to be in the middle of things and then just drop it hallway through. I would be carefully collecting those caps and putting them in plastic bags. Then convince myself it is silly to check if they are all there, or make separate bags for modifiers lol.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline iri

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 08:18:27 »
you are a leftie
i ain't :p

maybe ADD would be the way to describe it, since you seem to be in the middle of things and then just drop it hallway through. I would be carefully collecting those caps and putting them in plastic bags
what do you mean "in the middle of things"? those keycaps are carefully sorted into two separate piles! :))
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Macsmasher

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 11:10:28 »
you are a leftie
i ain't :p

maybe ADD would be the way to describe it, since you seem to be in the middle of things and then just drop it hallway through. I would be carefully collecting those caps and putting them in plastic bags
what do you mean "in the middle of things"? those keycaps are carefully sorted into two separate piles! :))

I usually have piles of papers all over my desk when working on a project. To the 'untrained' eye, it looks like a mess, but I know where everything is. Then my wife decides to clean my desk and screws up my organizational system.  :rolleyes:

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 16:19:49 »
"A clean desk is the sign of an insane mind."

Mine is always a disaster, I guess I'm safe.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline babyhands

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 23:20:26 »
One is in the original box, in my closet waiting to be sold (look at my signature), the other is on my desk being used to type this post :)

Offline longface

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 18:50:59 »
I keep about 3-4 that I really like (IBM Model M, Omnikey Ultra, Filco 104, Apple AEKII), and try to sell the rest.
ThinkPads, tennis racquets and now, keyboards