Author Topic: Hello from South Australia  (Read 2045 times)

Offline MattBuzzy

Hello from South Australia
« on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 08:31:57 »
Hi I am Matt, I live in S.A. and have only recently purchased my first mechanical keyboard, in fact it is still in the post! I am very interested in custom keycaps, but cheap ones mainly. I think my fiancee would have a heart attack if i told her I was going to spend $100+ on a key lol.

I have gone with an Azio Levetron Mech 5 board, despite the fact a lot of people think it is ugly, I like the way it looks and think it will look great sitting next to my R.A.T 7. The detachable numpad was a huge selling point for me and being an avid gamer from everything I have read blacks are what I am after. I do wish it was backlit but most of the custom keys are not transparent anyway so this is not a big deal for me.

If anyone has cool/unique/weird keycaps that they would like to offload cheap or for the cost of postage please send me a message, could only really spend about $5 max per key without being strangled by the Mrs. XD so as much as I would love one of those awesome 3D skull/bot/titanium keys i will have to look on in awe of everyone elses :P.

Anyway just wanted to introduce myself and happy to be a part of the community,

Buzzy.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: Hello from South Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 08:33:44 »
Welcome mate!
Hope you have a good time, would be a shame for you to be murdered by your partner over a keycap, but hey! She doesn't have to know;)
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 15:09:47 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Fortunately a lot of custom keycaps are around $3 new - well within your budget.

To get started, try:

http://www.keypop.net/products
http://www.techkeys.us/custom-keys.php

Postage for a few keycaps to Australia is not too bad (usually aruond $5 to $8 for up to about 30).

You can also get keycap key chains (aka keyrings), with an actual MX switch on it.  Maybe offer to get one of those for your missus with a keycap of her choice :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 17:42:06 »
Thankyou for the warm welcome guys. :) I have definitely found a new addiction :P, I have been looking at the sites that you sent Rowdy as well as others like WASD and ebay and am amazed at the selection. Placed a small order on WASD the other day so I can't wait to see my caps!

Seeing as those cc skulls go for about $35 new on keypop I may be able to get away with buying one of them haha. Would probably only want 3D keycaps on lesser used keys anyway, maybe Esc, num and scroll lock. My partner is actually pretty good about my spending on hobbies, she may make a face and complain but in the end if we have the money I can usually get it as she knows how happy small things can make me. It's more due to the fact as of this year I am going to be a Uni student so I will have very little spare money.

Going to look around and see what I can pick up within budget :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:10:10 by MattBuzzy »

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:13:05 »
Hi mate,

Good to see SA representing.
Haven't been around here for long but the last CC sale that EK ran was a draw, so to deter the 'first come buy all' technique that I'm sure many would do.

What course are you studying mate? I graduated and all from Adelaide Uni just last year so I can defninitely understand the lack of money haha.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:34:35 »
Hi Okooko, yeah good to hear that actually, I am sure someone would grab the whole lot, horde them and sell them at double the price.

I am going to be studying Bachelor of Technology (Computing Studies) specializing in the programming and web development streams. :D

I will actually be attending RMIT through Open Universities Australia as an Online course rather than on campus.
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:37:01 by MattBuzzy »

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 18:51:58 »
When you say double, it actually happens at around 4X the retail.

Sounds like an interesting course. You'll definitely get some great milage on your keyboard(s) throughout the duration of your course.

Sounds like you have a MX Black KB already, so am I correct to say that you will be moving onto another keyboard in the near future? hehe.

I just bought my fifth KB last week lol.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 19:34:59 »
Haha yeah I will be grabbing a Mx blue board for my studies, something plain and cheap but hopefully not nasty, maybe one of those noppoo choc mini's, is there any you would recommend for the amount of typing in a University course?

The textbooks are going to be the part that kills me lol It is a shame they are not covered by FEEHELP

Just received my mechanical keyboard... OMG this thing is awesome! Now I see why people love these things. Even typing on blacks is so much better than a membrane  keyboard it is unbelievable. Can't wait until I get a keyboard with blues or greens to type on if they are even better than this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 January 2013, 01:20:44 by MattBuzzy »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 03:29:59 »
You don't realise the difference until you actually try a mechanical, especially if you didn't use them back in the day when every keyboard was mechanical.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 04:01:41 »
Definitely as far as I know I never used them, the business computer my dad had when I was younger may have had a mechanical keyboard, but there is no way I would remember the feel.

After  15+ years of using membrane keyboards this is bliss. The sound, the feel, the quality difference... is heaven.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 04:04:40 »
And that is MX blacks.  Just wait until you try blues (or greens, which are blues with stiff springs like blacks)!

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 05:55:54 »
Welcome! Fellow Australian!
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit