Author Topic: Hola from San Antonio  (Read 1253 times)

Offline deltr

Hola from San Antonio
« on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 09:31:46 »
Hi all! I currently own a CM Storm Quickfire. I had a Corsair K60 for a while. While I loved the K60's design, I couldn't deal with the red switches. I love the feel of the CM. Oh well!

I am in the market for ideas to remove all lettering from my keys. Since CM keys are ABS, I assume i'll have to use goo-gone or something similar.

Anyway, I am stoked that this forum exists.

Cheers!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Hola from San Antonio
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 09:56:48 »
Welcome to Geekhack, fellow Texican!

Congrats of the QFR. I don't have one, but I hear they are really nice...almost as good as a Filco!

I don't really know what you can use to remove pad printing from ABS keys. I know what you shouldn't ever use, and that's acetone. But I've actually tried naptha, boiled linseed oil, and paint thinner on my Rosewill keycaps, with no success.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 17:19:42 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Instead of damaging the existing keycaps potentially beyond repair, what about replacing them with a new set of blank ones?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline epicsilas

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 00:51:16 »
Whoa. Is this the same deltr from Exodus/Serenity MC?
Anyways, welcome!

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 09:03:49 »
Welcome!

I moved from Texas (Plano) last year, to a job in Virginia.  Was hoping to see some snow, as the winter last year in Texas was really dry.  Now I see my friends posting about all the snow around Christmas in Texas, and we got a mere dusting one day here in the NE.  Go figure.  :)

To make sure I'm staying on topic, I was curious about your CM keyboard.  I just ordered a CM Trigger after seeing their boards released at CES.  How was the Storm, and which switches does that have?