Author Topic: Steelseries 6gv2 Custom Keys  (Read 2930 times)

Offline robiszzzonked

Steelseries 6gv2 Custom Keys
« on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 04:08:56 »
Hi guys,

This is my first post on this forum, and I have also just recently aquired my first mechanical keyboard.

It is a Steelseries 6gv2, I want all blank white keys. I found a set from WASD, so I ca have all my keys matching aside from the 'bigass' enter key and the space bar, does anyone know of any place I can get some or at least some kind of work around. I am very much a perfectionist and it sucks that I can't get the keys to match.

I hope you guys can help,

Thanks,
Rob

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Steelseries 6gv2 Custom Keys
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 04:19:10 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

You have a problem replacing that enter key, my friend.  So have others: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=26101.0
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline robiszzzonked

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 04:29:52 »
HI, thanks for the reply.

I know it is difficult, but I have seen images of people with completely new key caps, so I was just wondering if anyone knew where to get them.

thanks,

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 07:22:18 »
You should be able to get a replacement spacebar easier than me, yours seems to be a 6.25 which is a fairly standard size compared to my 5.75.

I'm guessing WASD bars are not compatible due to a different stabilizer, I'm pretty sure the WASD bars use Costar stabilisers so I am going to assume the 6Gv2 uses Cherry Stabilizers.
Feng has some awesome Aluminium Bars in 6.25 that use Cherry Stabilizers here http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38703.0 but they may not fit the style of your board.

Any 6.25 Cherry Stabilizer Spacebar "should" fit, but hopefully someone will come along with the keys you are looking for :).

Meanwhile I will continue my hunt for a custom Costar 5.75 Spacebar..... urgh.

Offline link_tree

Offline robiszzzonked

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 08:24:19 »
Thanks for some more replies guys.

@MattBuzzy - It is so unfortunate SteelSeries went with such awkward keys, although that space bar doesn't really match the look I am going for, I really like it and may pick it up.

@link_tree - That is exactly what I am looking for. Is that site legit. It is confusing as it is in Chinese and I am from the UK, so I am not sure if shipping would be expensive. Any more information that you have on that would be great.

Thanks
Rob.

Offline link_tree

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 08:28:49 »
this is imsto's taobao shop. he is a forum member here though, and you can contact him by mail.
this is he's vendor forum:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=115.0

and this is hes user profile:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?action=profile;u=1827

please note that these are not completely blank though they are etched.
also from their price I think they are made of PBT but I am not sure because the listing didn't state the material.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2013, 08:34:30 by link_tree »

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 08:42:21 »
No problems Rob good luck with the search, those caps posted by link look good.

I wonder if he could source a blank white 5.75 Costar spacebar... I may have to send him a message.