Author Topic: Does anyone know if there's a CC sale planned anytime soon?  (Read 10827 times)

Offline dirge

Re: Does anyone know if there's a CC sale planned anytime soon?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 11:57:48 »
If this is true, then just how often would this REALLY happen? Miniscule chances.

On the other hand, when the door is open to first come first serve...I think we all know what happens EVERY time.

^ nail and head :)
Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 11:59:09 »
If this is true, then just how often would this REALLY happen? Miniscule chances.

An EK rep has hinted that this is an issue from the most recent CC lotto. He said something along the lines of "Okay...some of you guys are BEGGING to be disqualified". I believe this was in one of the original threads about the upcoming CC draw. IIRC the EK rep commented while there were talks of people getting friends and family to enter to increase their chances. I wouldn't be surprised if someone entered 8 times for each member of the household.

That's rather disappointing to hear, but that sounds like EK was relatively certain this was going on. I don't think EK would disqualify someone at a mere hunch.

Either way, it seems like those who want to horde these and possibly sell them later will go to great lengths to do so.

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 12:00:57 »
Chi town represent

Edit:  Did I already say this to you?

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 12:02:49 »
Chi town represent

Edit:  Did I already say this to you?

Not yet, but there seems to be a lot of us here
Chitown likes to bling out :)

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 12:06:43 »
There are A LOT of us here, that's for sure.  In fact, the Chicagoland meetup was bigger and better than any other meets....

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 12:07:42 »
That's rather disappointing to hear, but that sounds like EK was relatively certain this was going on. I don't think EK would disqualify someone at a mere hunch.

Either way, it seems like those who want to horde these and possibly sell them later will go to great lengths to do so.

Agreed, I don't think EK disqualified anyone either (purely based on my general opinion of EK). But I'm just pointing out that the lotto system isn't exactly fair as there are ways to exploit it to increase your chances. I do think that using different methods is a step in the right direction though.

In fact, the Chicagoland meetup was bigger and better than any other meets....
Oh $hit, shots fired.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 12:14:08 »

Agreed, I don't think EK disqualified anyone either (purely based on my general opinion of EK). But I'm just pointing out that the lotto system isn't exactly fair as there are ways to exploit it to increase your chances. I do think that using different methods is a step in the right direction though.

The problem is you'll never know this though and just never win one. For sake of argument what if you are disqualified because you share the same last name as Dan? I'm not saying something as stupid as that happened, you'd never know if it did happen
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #57 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 12:27:30 »
To clarify, I was only agreeing that I don't think EK disqualified people. But Flynn you bring up a good point, I'm not a fan of the lottery system either :\

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 13:10:52 »

The problem is you'll never know this though and just never win one. For sake of argument what if you are disqualified because you share the same last name as Dan? I'm not saying something as stupid as that happened, you'd never know if it did happen

Exactly, YOU don't know; a. how they picked OR b. how their exclusions went. Yet you go on to say it went this way, that they did that, complete failure, etc..

I got my first (one & only) clack after 3-4 failed prior attempts as did many others so we are very happy.

& as said before I would consider myself a newbie in this and there are plenty of other people signing up everyday, seeing pictures on reddit, Team Liquid, DT, KBDmania, google whatev every minute. Think of that. & how many places produce keycaps of similar caliber? arguably: NONE.

Ok, not to be rude or anything.. but how would you want the system to work instead of lottery? A system which automatically give you a CC every time there is a sale? Kinda seems like that is how it works anyway, from the recent sales/lotterys, all the people whom already got the most clickclacks got them anyway, even if it was a lottery.

I believe he has done trivia or riddles of sorts as well, obviously he likes to have fun :)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 13:11:32 »
I prefer the lottery system, although I did not win a CC, nor did I manage to get a CC in any previous sales.

Maybe due to being in Australia, we have a significant time difference to the US, plus being geographically distant means emails take those extra couple of seconds to arrive in CC's mailbox (see Hack Orange sale) which, in this case, made a significant difference.

Maybe next time don't open the draw for as long - only a couple of days to give people in all time zone a chance to enter.

And there are probably more over-priced after-draw sales this time as most people would have entered for one of everything, whether they have MX keyboard, Topre keyboard, both or neither.  Sadly a noticeable number of people seem to have won CCs they did not want/need, and decided to sell them at a profit because the market is there and people are prepared to pay inflated prices.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Permeability

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:17:37 »
lottery system makes it most fair in my opinion, i think it is a good system
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:14:42 »
How does one join this "lottery" system?
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:17:16 »

When new CC's go up for sale on elite keyboards.
Looking for CC's!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:20:08 »

When new CC's go up for sale on elite keyboards.

Is there a time limit on the lottery system? Last sale I tried joining the lottery but I didn't see a link or anything.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:29:29 »
Just sign up for the EK newsletter, they generally announce when a sale is upcoming.

Then you have a couple of weeks (like last time, unless the time is shortened next sale) to register interest.  Registration was done from the product page for each CC.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 17:27:39 »
The lotto system is far too easy to manipulate.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:52:47 »
I was lucky enough to get one from the lottery system, if it went back to the old system I wouldn't even have a chance.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 01:09:32 »
Being from Australia, with a poor connection the only way I will ever get one is from the lottery or if a generous person sells me one at cost. Sure people will manipulate it, but look at the ratio of people who own them, most of the people who do have like 10 or more when a lot of people have none and that's just greedy, it should be fair for everyone.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #68 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 04:05:10 »
The longer you don't have one the more special you first one is when you finally get it :)

I keep telling myself that ;)

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
Does anyone know if there's a CC sale planned anytime soon?
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 21:59:18 »
The longer you don't have one the more special you first one is when you finally get it :)

I keep telling myself that ;)
+1 me too.
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker