Author Topic: Intro from Brit living in SF Bay area  (Read 1522 times)

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
Intro from Brit living in SF Bay area
« on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:22:47 »
Hi there!

Have used many computers and keyboards in my time my current keyboard favourite is a Topre Realforce 88UB.

Sitting in the closet gathering dust are:
  • UK Model M - enclosure too big, keys rattle too much
  • DAS II - enclosure too big, feels a bit tinny even with the red o-rings on it
  • DAS III - enclosure too big & shiny, feels too stiff
Also had a Mattias Pro which I didn't like that much - US layout and the switches weren't that great. Nice keycaps tho.

My cupboard also has a few retro machines with interesting keyboards. What kind of plastic are the Apple ][ E keycaps made from?

Considering where to take the keyboard obsession next. The Topre is great but the enclosure is too big (prefer the Leopold style)

1. Buy a replacement aluminum enclosure for the Topre (those ones on eBay look great but $440!)
2. Assemble my own keyboard from parts on various group buys. Would need to be tenkeyless, minimal metal enclosure, pbt keycaps, iso layout. Backlit an option.

The big issue with 2. is trying to decide on a new keyswitch. Blues were okay - it's possible that with the right enclosure and caps they might work.

[)amien

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
Intro from Brit living in SF Bay area
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:39:01 »
Welcome to Geekhack and The Bay!

There are a couple of us keyboard nerds out here.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Intro from Brit living in SF Bay area
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:41:59 »
Bay area here as well, welcome!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:46:26 »
Rule number one, don't become an Ex-pat.
Rule number two, don't commit mass genocide.

I put the min that order for a reason....anyhow Welcome To GeekHack!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline MarkPharaoh

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 01:55:34 »
Bay Area, woowoo
Current: HHKB Pro 2, 87u 55g 10AE, FC600C, Model M 1391401

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 02:30:12 »
Was just mooching around in the aforementioned closet and decided to pop one of the keys of my BBC Micro (they were the official computer of British schools in the 80s)

12255-0

Double-shots! Looks like a Cherry MX stem but it doesn't fit :(

Yes, I know - it needs a clean!

[)amien

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:12:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Almost anything with a metal (typically aluminium) case is going to set you back a fair bit.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 03:26:28 »
If I was 100% convinced I'm sticking with the Realforce then it wouldn't bother me so much... but I should really try an MX brown first.

[)amien