Author Topic: I got a hold of Cherry today  (Read 4693 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline xsphat

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 2371
  • Location: 'Sconi FTW
  • Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I got a hold of Cherry today
« on: Mon, 12 November 2007, 11:04:51 »
Someone from Cherry got back to me, a guy named Ed, and he told me that Cherry doesn't even make a keyboard for the US with the blue stems. He said they do for other countries, because there isn't to much demand for the clicky style switches in America anymore. he said they are are still in high demand in Europe, though. He pointed me to DAS keyboard II for the blue sliders, and this was the only one he was aware of that uses these switches. This is weird, because on the DAS II site, they have a picture of the black stemmed Cherry switch, but we all know that one clicks. He never heard of the iOne Scorpious M10.

So there you have it, we'll all have to plan a great exodus and travel the world in favor of clicky keyboards.

Offline mr_sf_applet

  • Posts: 165
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 November 2007, 21:22:12 »
So we *think* the Scorpius M10 has Cherry blues, and the Cherry guy says Das Keyboard II has'em, even though the Das Keyboard website shows a picture of a black Cherry switch.

Now what about Cherry brown MX switches (light tactile?). What keyboards have these? It seems the Kinesis contoured boards have them, if http://www.ergocanada.com is to be believed. But any others? The only confirmed ones I can find find are some versions of the Filco Majestouch. You'd figure Cherry itself would make some boards wtih the brown switches. But I can't figure out which ones they would be.

So I've been trying to decide whether I want to spring for a Filco Majestouch. It would be extremely expensive to get it through http://www.fdjp.com/, what with sales commsission and shipping added to the basic cost. I've been googling looking for reviews of the Majestouch, and most of the sites that come up are Japanese.

This blog, in English, shows a Majestouch in brushed aluminum. But I can't find it on the Diatec web site. Looks sorta like the SteelSeries 7G with wristrest attached.

And there was a Japanese blog containing an entry about the purchase of a Majestouch which, when translated by Google, reads:

"The design is simple, it was bought. Repentance is not."

God, I love that.

Offline iMav

  • geekhack creator/founder
  • Location: Valley City, ND
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 09:25:52 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet
So we *think* the Scorpius M10 has Cherry blues, and the Cherry guy says Das Keyboard II has'em, even though the Das Keyboard website shows a picture of a black Cherry switch.

From this thread:

"Just for everyone's information, Barry Little (of Barry's Rigs and Reviews) just confirmed for me that the Scorpius M10 keyboard uses the BLUE Cherry keyswitches. These are the tactile keyswitches...the ones that I think would be the most preferable for the clicky lovers.

Offline mr_sf_applet

  • Posts: 165
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 11:15:49 »
Yeah, I remmember that, actually, But I hedged with the "*think*" because of our collective experience with the SMK-85 and with DSI boards in general, which seem to change up on their switches with every full moon. But yeah, I think, especially with karlito's confirmation, that it's a safe bet that if you ordered a Scorpius M10 today, you'd get blue Cherry MX switches.

I've been looking more into the Filco Majestouch. Seems they come with either black or brown Cherry MX switches. No blue that I can see.

And I did get a quote from Shopping Service Japan. The Filco FKB-86E, which is the compact 86-key English keyboard that may have Alps sliders, is sold out, they said. The Filco Majestouch FKBN104M/EB -- wired version (USB w/ PS/2 adapter) with brown Cherry MX switches and N-key rollover -- would cost, after commsission and shipping, $195 by bank wire transfer or $205 by PayPal.

Gulp. They give you 24 hours to pay or the order will be "nullified." I don't think I'm *that* curious about brown Cherry MX's, not to the tune of $205, but I have about 7 more hours to decide.

Offline xsphat

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 2371
  • Location: 'Sconi FTW
  • Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 12:04:35 »
That's what I paid for my HHKB Pro 2 on eBay ... If you buy it, I will be really interested in your thoughts on it.

I like this wave of interest in Cherry on this site now after we all have had our hands on them. It would be funny if we turned out to the "old men" who sit high in mountains and dictate future keyboard trends, you know, like the guys in X-Files who planned everything from wars to football games.

Offline mr_sf_applet

  • Posts: 165
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 12:24:33 »
Quote from: xsphat
I like this wave of interest in Cherry on this site now after we all have had our hands on them.
Hey, I may be flirting with Cherry but I'll have you know I'm typing this post on my HHKB Pro 2.

Some more Filco stuff:

1. It turns out that the brushed aluminum versions of the Majestouch -- your choice of black keys or white keys -- are indeed on the Diatec web site, but only on the Japanese portion of the site:

http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/det.php?prod_c=373

2. This Chinese forum site shows a Majestouch being modded to have a USB hub, I think. But there also seems to be a discussion of who the OEM manufacturer of the Majestouch (made in Taiwan) could be. Speculation centers on an entity which Google translates as "Sheng-chun." The interesting thing for me is that there are several mentions in the discussion of this Sheng-chun putting Strongman labels on their products. And there also seems to be a reference to Strong Man being a manufacturer of Cherry switches in Taiwan. Could this Sheng-chun be one and the same as Strong Man Enterprise Co., Ltd.? It does seem that most keyboard roads lead back to Taiwan (notable exceptions being the Das II keyboard, the HHKB Pro, and the Scorpius M10). Where are Cherry keyboards being made these days?

3. And can somebody tell me what Filco is selling here?:

http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/rf_metal/index2.php

http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/det.php?prod_c=512

Is this just a keyboard (look! no number pad!) with a detachable metal enclosure? Or is something else going on here?

Offline xsphat

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 2371
  • Location: 'Sconi FTW
  • Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 12:36:14 »
Weird day, all of us seem to have our Pros out.

Offline xsphat

  • Thread Starter
  • Posts: 2371
  • Location: 'Sconi FTW
  • Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 12:42:51 »
I've seen that keyboard on kbmania before, there is a version with American layout, and it has switches like the HHKB Pro 2. Even the with the weird round plunger part. I would love to get one of those but not what giant case for it. if you find that 'board for sale, post links, I think it would be fantastic.

Offline iMav

  • geekhack creator/founder
  • Location: Valley City, ND
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 12:44:32 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet
3. And can somebody tell me what Filco is selling here?:

It appears to be a replacement top case for one of their other line of keyboards.

Offline mr_sf_applet

  • Posts: 165
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 13:48:43 »
Quote from: iMav
It appears to be a replacement top case for one of their other line of keyboards.

Yeah, you're right. I understand the sequence of photographs now. But man, it's 12,800 JPY just for that replacement top case, keyboard not included. And you wind up occupying a lot more desktop real estate too, just so you can have that cool brushed metal look.

Offline iMav

  • geekhack creator/founder
  • Location: Valley City, ND
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 14:02:25 »
Quote from: mr_sf_applet
Yeah, you're right. I understand the sequence of photographs now. But man, it's 12,800 JPY just for that replacement top case, keyboard not included. And you wind up occupying a lot more desktop real estate too, just so you can have that cool brushed metal look.

I definitely don't get the appeal.

I think it would be fun to do up a keyboard in different colors (with vinyl dye or whatever)...but, at the end of the day, I don't much care what my keyboard looks like as long as it functions well for me.

I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 19:00:24 »
Quote from: xsphat
I've seen that keyboard on kbmania before, there is a version with American layout, and it has switches like the HHKB Pro 2. Even the with the weird round plunger part. I would love to get one of those but not what giant case for it. if you find that 'board for sale, post links, I think it would be fantastic.


That keyboard looks super sweet. Space saver and capacitive switches. I can live without the brushed alum enclosure (though my Asus notebook has exactly the same brown alum finish). Do you have any links to it?

Offline mr_sf_applet

  • Posts: 165
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 18 November 2007, 19:55:53 »
You can go here:

http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/list.php?cate_c=1

and do a text search for "realforce" and the various versions of this board will pop up. I don't see an English version of the space saver though. There does seem to be a 101-key English version with number pad:

http://www.diatec.co.jp/shop/det.php?prod_c=32

These are pretty expensive boards.

Offline victheslik

  • Posts: 153
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 19 November 2007, 17:40:15 »
So does anyone here have any experience with this keyboard at all? I am quiet intrigued by the aluminum brush area; it's quiet nice. (Yes I am new to the forum, Hi  :D  )

-victor
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline iMav

  • geekhack creator/founder
  • Location: Valley City, ND
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 19 November 2007, 17:57:44 »
Quote from: victheslik
Yes I am new to the forum, Hi  :D

Welcome to geekhack!  :)

We are a small community...but seem to be growing a bit lately.

Offline victheslik

  • Posts: 153
I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 19 November 2007, 19:49:42 »
Quote from: iMav
Quote from: victheslik
Yes I am new to the forum, Hi  :D

Welcome to geekhack!  :)

We are a small community...but seem to be growing a bit lately.


     
Thanks for the warm welcome iMav; I was attracted here due to the amount of "intelligent remarks" made about the keyboards.

-victor
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline Bluemercury

  • Posts: 328
Re: I got a hold of Cherry today
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 November 2007, 11:22:20 »
Quote from: xsphat
Someone from Cherry got back to me, a guy named Ed, and he told me that Cherry doesn't even make a keyboard for the US with the blue stems. He said they do for other countries, because there isn't to much demand for the clicky style switches in America anymore. he said they are are still in high demand in Europe, though. He pointed me to DAS keyboard II for the blue sliders, and this was the only one he was aware of that uses these switches. This is weird, because on the DAS II site, they have a picture of the black stemmed Cherry switch, but we all know that one clicks. He never heard of the iOne Scorpious M10.

So there you have it, we'll all have to plan a great exodus and travel the world in favor of clicky keyboards.


I wonder where can i get one of those(ione scorpious m10 or DAS II  keyboard) in europe, the problem is that the ione rep from the european site said they're not selling the scorpious m10 keyboard and i have yet to see an european store for the DAS II keyboard.
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2