Author Topic: Where to start  (Read 1763 times)

Offline njwarhead

Where to start
« on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 12:53:06 »
Hi,

I am new here and also new to mechanical keyboards. The more I read on here and look at videos on you tube the more I am lost as to where to start. I am going to use the keyboard for gaming and web coding so I will be spending long hrs on it.  I have small hands so I like the feel of a small keyboard. Thanks for your time

-Brian

Offline Dgsbllx

Re: Where to start
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:05:52 »
Filco TKL w/ browns  :D

Offline Amarok

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:09:46 »
Your best bet for starting out is probably going to be the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid. They're cheap, usually between 60-80 bucks, and they go on sale pretty frequently.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 13:12:05 »

This, if you can afford it.

Your best bet for starting out is probably going to be the CM Storm Quickfire Rapid. They're cheap, usually between 60-80 bucks, and they go on sale pretty frequently.

This, if you can't.

Offline njwarhead

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 14:10:43 »
any reason brown?

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 14:12:35 »
Browns are a good introductory switch and are useful for typing and gaming. They aren't too heavy either and aren't really that specific in their use. Blues are more just for typing and reds/blacks are more specifically for gaming. Browns are a nice balance between both of the activities you need.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 14:27:06 »
Browns are a good introductory switch and are useful for typing and gaming. They aren't too heavy either and aren't really that specific in their use. Blues are more just for typing and reds/blacks are more specifically for gaming. Browns are a nice balance between both of the activities you need.

I play games with blues. I feel like unless you're playing FPS games and you're constantly spamming a key, it's more about personal preference. I don't think it's that easy to just lump switches into a category so neatly.

Offline njwarhead

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 14:27:58 »
Thanks Dgsbllx that was a really big help. That is the best I have ever seen it put. Where dose a keyboard like the HHKB fall?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:18:20 »
Or a Ducky if you want backlighting.

HHKB is a bit exterme - it has Topre switches (the Pro version) and a definite non-standard layout.  But those that decide to get one usually love it.  And most use it for programming (or similar).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:30:19 »
For people who are starting out this is generally what I tell them.

Blue (click sound click feel) = 80% typing 20% gaming
Brown (no sound click feel) = 60% typing 40% gaming
Red (no sound no click) = 40% typing 60% gaming
Black (same as red but stiffer) = 20% typing 80% gaming

However it's not always true it's really up to personal preference, this is just an easy guideline for people who are starting out.  Typically speaking Brown has the lowest failure rate since it's an all around switch so it's easy for people to get use to.  Black typically has the highest failure rate since it's a very preference based switch (love it or hate it).

As for brand, Filco is highest quality but expensive, CM Storm is 2nd highest quality but way cheaper.

So if you can afford it go Filco, if you can't then go CM Storm.

:)
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:33:37 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline overture1928

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:32:02 »
Hi,

I am new here and also new to mechanical keyboards. The more I read on here and look at videos on you tube the more I am lost as to where to start. I am going to use the keyboard for gaming and web coding so I will be spending long hrs on it.  I have small hands so I like the feel of a small keyboard. Thanks for your time

-Brian

Check out a KBT race, small keyboard, has arrow keys, and function keys.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:38:40 »
Cooler Maste Quickfire Rapid is a great starter. It's compatible with most keycap sets out there, so you'll be able to replace the standard ones in the future if needed. In addition, the Rapid is reasonably priced. They're currently selling for $60-$80 on Amazon.

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:54:55 »

Yes: the Brown is a low pressure switch good for long hours, but it has tactile feedback unlike the Red switch. And TKL = tenkeyless, ie no numberpad, making the board shorter and the reach for the mouse shorter and therefore a lot less likely to cause RSI.

Filco have an excellent rep for quality - my kb is one - but  there are cheaper makers who make Brown TKLs; you can look for reviews of these. The Quickfire Rapid seems a good second choice - but make sure you get the switch "colour" you want.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 15:57:06 by TheGreatAmphibianPling »

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:00:56 »
For people who are starting out this is generally what I tell them.

Blue (click sound click feel) = 80% typing 20% gaming
Brown (no sound click feel) = 60% typing 40% gaming
Red (no sound no click) = 40% typing 60% gaming
Black (same as red but stiffer) = 20% typing 80% gaming

However it's not always true it's really up to personal preference, this is just an easy guideline for people who are starting out.  Typically speaking Brown has the lowest failure rate since it's an all around switch so it's easy for people to get use to. 

Personal preference is key. I can't see the point in Blues or Blacks - a stiffer switch just equals more hand fatigue. Between the Reds and Browns, the light tactile feedback makes the Brown a little "safer" to use because you get that extra feedback when you type.

Offline njwarhead

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:26:11 »
Is there a big quality difference between the filco and the cm storm for the money?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:28:31 »
A lot of people would say no. Personally, I found that there is a difference. I'm not sure I'd consider it another $70 worth of difference, but to some it's important.

If you're just starting out, I wouldn't worry about it. The QuickFire Rapid is better than many boards that are twice it's price.

Offline njwarhead

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 16:42:44 »
Thanks for all the help I will give the QuickFire Rapid in red a try.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 17:24:44 »
There are a couple of little differences between Filco and QFR you would notice right away.  QFR has removable cable, Filco does not.  QFR has caps/num lock LEDs under the keys, Filco they are separate.  QFR has horrible font on the keycaps, Filco is much nicer.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ