Author Topic: WTF  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Jaffa

WTF
« on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 15:31:12 »
I ask a company for some keycap's!

"Are you looking to replace all the keycaps on your keyboard? Your original email indicated only 6 keycaps.
Price per keycap is $100 USD each if you are only looking for 6 keycaps.
If you are looking for a complete keyboard, the price would be around $900 total."
Cm Storm Quickfire Rapid Red Switch

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
Re: WTF
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 15:36:12 »
What company?

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 15:43:01 »
Missing some decimals? lol maybe they mean 1.00  and 9.00

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 15:44:54 »
Are you contacting girldc privately?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tauburn

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:11:22 »
lol. he probably sent an email to SP

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:21:04 »
lol. he probably sent an email to SP

That's what I was thinking lol.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Wopian

• Why Hello There.
    • Bobstudios
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 16:43:52 »
Jeez...

Offline spherific

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:01:06 »
Are these keycaps made of gold?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 17:14:49 »
Like I said - has he been contacting girldc privately?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:18:00 »
I ask a company for some keycap's!

"Are you looking to replace all the keycaps on your keyboard? Your original email indicated only 6 keycaps.
Price per keycap is $100 USD each if you are only looking for 6 keycaps.
If you are looking for a complete keyboard, the price would be around $900 total."

They give you those ridiculous prices to keep people from tying up their machines/work lines with one/two orders of a cap. Because if they did that, they would be flooded with hundreds of orders of different caps that they'd have to manually configure their machines for.

It's meant to defer you :)

Offline gbohn

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 18:58:11 »
> It's meant to defer you.

It might also simply be what it takes to make it worth their while.

If you are asking for what would be (for them) custom work, that might mostly be their machine and tooling set-up charge. So (just as a wild guess), maybe one key-cap cost $98.00 in set-up/tooling + $2.00 for a single key-cap.

I've ordered custom produced circuit boards where one board is only very slightly less than having 5 made because most of the cost was in the setup work.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 19:06:44 »
>

you know you're actually on a site with a real quoting system now right

Offline gbohn

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 19:22:56 »
> you know you're actually on a site with a real quoting system now right.

It's worked o.k. for the last 30 years or so, so I wasn't in any rush to change :)

(Not to mention that the auto-quote usually quotes a lot more than the part I'm interested in.)

At any rate, I'll quit there since this is off-topic.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 19:25:16 »
no, this is "keyboard key caps", off-topic is that a way ->

Offline Jaffa

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 02:45:29 »
keycapsdirect dot com

I ask for normal PBT caps.
It's still WTF..

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 02:46:46 »
Yep signature plastics
I love Elzy

Offline Jaffa

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 02:50:04 »
Yep signature plastics

I still find it ridiculous. It only plastics.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 02:52:00 »
You're asking a company that does bulk order of thousands of keys to do a personal order, they have a minimum order quantity, that's why.

To quote,

It might also simply be what it takes to make it worth their while.

If you are asking for what would be (for them) custom work, that might mostly be their machine and tooling set-up charge. So (just as a wild guess), maybe one key-cap cost $98.00 in set-up/tooling + $2.00 for a single key-cap

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 February 2013, 02:53:58 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 07 February 2013, 05:44:38 »
Lesson One when ordering from SP:
Have a big order.
Lesson Two:
See lesson one.

They will happily get you down to less than $0.89 a keycap for a full keyboard. Provided you're doing enough full keyboards to make it worth their while, e.g. not bankrupting them with the machines down 50% of the day for tool changes.

And yes, they have a wonderfully flexible and responsive quoting system for even the most exotic of orders. Like, say, 41 ABS and 46 PBT? Took them about 5 minutes to give me the tiered price quote (for 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, etc sets) including all the setup charges and format requirements.

If they're that cool, Interest Check forum is thattaway ---->
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.