Author Topic: Hello from DC!  (Read 1404 times)

Offline regack

Hello from DC!
« on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 09:51:37 »
Ok, not really DC, but who wants to write Northern Virginia in the subject/title...  :-[

I should also point out that I'm not completley new.  I created my account and have been lurking around for about a year but I never posted in here.  Better late than never?

I found geekhack when I was trying to find a way to make a personalized keypad for gaming that was exactly what I wanted (I've always like the numpad layout vs WASD/ESDF).  I found the original Dox KB thread and used his design as a basis to build my own little thing using a Teensy 2.0 and some Cherry MX Blues.

I've been typing on Model Ms for quite some time and I've acquired 9 of them ranging from 1986 to 1997 (median 1989).   I think the most expensive ones were $1.99 (found in a sale bucket at MicroCenter) and I feel pretty lucky about that, but after building that gamepad thing I found myself attracted to alternative form factors.  In the last few months I picked up a Pure with Browns, and a Race with Blues.  The Browns are ok, I like the tactile response from the Blues better. I haven't tried Greens yet.   

Right now I'm looking forward to the GH60 and putting my ErgoDox together whenever it arrives.  Now I just need to find a good TKL... and perhaps an additional source of income.

Offline WRXChris

Re: Hello from DC!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 10:00:59 »
welcome!  I used to live in the nova ****hole; moving away from that place may have been the coolest thing I've ever done!

there may still be room in the lz-gh buy to fulfill your good TKL needs, check it out in the classifieds section.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 15:33:14 »
A belated welcome to Geekhack!

You might just have the biggest Model M collection around here ;)

If you like the Model Ms, you might prefer greens - they are as stiffer blues.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 18:16:46 »
I can name a few who have larger M collections, though not many active on GH anymore.

Offline regack

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 February 2013, 18:28:04 »
Funny thing is I never intended this to be a collection, just emergency backups in case any of them started failing.  Somehow I also have a pair of Sun Type 5c boards, but I haven't used them in years.