Author Topic: HHKB Pro owners  (Read 18145 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 27 December 2007, 06:26:43 »
Update in my inbox:
date:  Dec 27, 2007 5:38 AM
subject:  [beNippon] Your order # XXXX : Processing (3/4)

Hello,

We are very sorry: it is taking a little more time than expected to get your keyboard ready for shipping.

We are doing our best to lower the delay, thank you for your patience.

By the way, if our supplier should not have anymore of the White version, would you accept the Black version? Or would you prefer to cancel your order?

Thank you.

Best regards,
Mathieu - beNippon
Looks like I may be getting a black version after all.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 28 December 2007, 21:51:56 »
Latest update.  :)

Date:  Dec 28, 2007 9:46 PM
Subject:  Re: [beNippon] Your order # XXXX : Processing (3/4)

Hello,

Thank you for your quick reply.

Because we still have no news for the white version from our supplier, we will ship you the black (blank). We will notify you by email when it will be shipped.

Thank you for your kind understanding.

Have a nice day, and a wonderful New Year.

Best regards,
Mathieu - beNippon

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 28 December 2007, 22:18:27 »
At least they keep you informed. I bet they have an abundance of the printed white models, they are ugly.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 29 December 2007, 08:30:23 »
Another update.
Date:  Dec 29, 2007 4:07 AM
Subject:  [beNippon] Your order # XXXX : Shipped (4/4)

Your order has been shipped!

We hope it reach you in proper order and that you have been pleased with our services.

Your package should be delivered in about 1 or 2 weeks.

Good news!  However, if I happen to not receive it, I'm pretty much screwed:
Please also remark that because SAL is a non-priority shipping method it is not possible to know in advance when you will receive your package.

We remind you that SAL shipments:
- Are not insured;
- Cannot be tracked via Internet;

If you still do not have received your order in one month and two weeks (on 2008-02-12) contact-us. We will inform Japan Post. However, as the package is not tracked, there is very few hopes to get an answer. Moreover, as it is not insured, if it has been lost it will
not be refund.

Please contact us about a non delivery problem only after the previous date; shipping can sometimes take quite much time.

Offline iMav

The HHKB case has arrived
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 02 January 2008, 11:12:46 »
Just signed for my delivery from GeekStuff4u.  I ordered the HHKB case from them.  Here are some pics.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 02 January 2008, 22:03:19 »
You GEEK!!
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline skyian

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 03 January 2008, 12:01:54 »
I am so happy to see there're people outside Asia who love HHKB Pro.2
To have a different HHKB Pro.2, I tried to find someone to Buy HHKB Pro.2 with me.
Finally I got someone and we ordered one Black and one white HHKB Pro.2. When I received them, I immediatedly exchanged the key tops.

Here's the pics of my keyboard:
(Acutally I kept the black one, the other is for the man I got from the internet)

My Own Keyboards:
RF 103 SILENT 30g, RF RGB, RF103black, RF103white, RF87UB, RF87WB, RF101, HHKB PRO2, Cherry with white, blue, brown, black, RED swithces...etc

WAITING FOR THE Ultimate Bluetooth converter for any keyboard.  Also the Beautiful GMK CAMPING Keycap.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 03 January 2008, 13:00:02 »
I was thinking about buying a second HHKB Pro 2 and doing something like that too. Almost everyone here has a Pro or Pro 2, so you'll find lots of people with like interests.

Is that a Realforce 101 on your desk? How does that compare with the HHKB? I understand Topre manufactures the HHKB Pros for PFU, so I have been wondering.

Where do you live?

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #58 on: Thu, 03 January 2008, 13:52:40 »
Quote from: skyian;2228
To have a different HHKB Pro.2, I tried to find someone to Buy HHKB Pro.2 with me.
Finally I got someone and we ordered one Black and one white HHKB Pro.2. When I received them, I immediatedly exchanged the key tops.
Very cool.  I currently own a HHKB Pro (1) and have a Pro 2 on order through beNippon.  My Pro 1 is white with blank keytops and the Pro 2 on order is a blank, black one.  Assuming the keytops are identical between the Pro 1 and Pro 2, I was considering swapping all of them...I think the contrast between the body and the keys would look quite slick.

But after seeing yours, I may place around with some different combination as well.  ;)

Offline iMav

The HHKB Pro 2 from beNippon has arrived!
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 07 January 2008, 13:41:14 »
My new, black HHKB Pro2 from beNippon has arrived.  

Initially, I thought these were designed different.  Turns out, that the rubber domes were just stuck to the circuit board (not with adhesive...as I found out once they started falling off.)

Offline fkeidjn

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 01:16:02 »
So the HHKB2 Pro uses a spring and rubber-cup for each key?
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 03:03:46 »
Yeah, it's a capacitive switch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology#Capacitive_keyboard

It says these are common, but I only know about the Topre and this keyboard that use them. All I know is they pretty nice feeling.

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 04:41:53 »
Quote from: xsphat;2270
Yeah, it's a capacitive switch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_technology#Capacitive_keyboard

It says these are common, but I only know about the Topre and this keyboard that use them. All I know is they pretty nice feeling.

True, but AFAIK, the tactile feel is solely due to the spring.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 04:51:34 »
I agree, those rubber things don't look like they could provide much resistance at all.

Whiskey, do you have an HHKB Pro? How hard are they to get in AU?

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 04:56:35 »
Quote from: xsphat;2272
I agree, those rubber things don't look like they could provide much resistance at all.

Whiskey, do you have an HHKB Pro? How hard are they to get in AU?

About as easy as they are to get in US. :)  I do want a capacitive keyboard, but I'd really prefer the numpad-less Topre, Japanese layout be damned. (I could use the extra meta keys anyway).

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 05:03:33 »
I did a little research on the Japanese layouts and it looks like computers from other regions will see them as generic USB keyboards. I asked on Apple.com and Googled it, so I think you should give it a try.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1325929&tstart=0

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 05:07:16 »
I was thinking about getting one of those, but it would cost me over $300 US, and I don't think it's worth that at all.

No matter, always other keyboards to buy, and soon I will be buying some more ... .

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 05:28:11 »
Quote from: xsphat;2277
I was thinking about getting one of those, but it would cost me over $300 US, and I don't think it's worth that at all.

No matter, always other keyboards to buy, and soon I will be buying some more ... .

The 103-key version I believe is much cheaper. So you pay less for more keys! I just really like space-saver look. This layout is practically extinct.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 10:29:02 »
they are around 170-200 for the 'board and a hundred to get over here.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 10:51:18 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o;2271
True, but AFAIK, the tactile feel is solely due to the spring.

The rubber domes don't provide ANY resistance.  They look to be strictly for holding the spring in place...

Offline puntium

• http://keyboards.kendeeter.com
Japanese Layout
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 21:45:00 »
I used Japanese layout keyboards exclusively for a part of my life, and I'd warn you against taking the plunge with an expensive purchase.. there are plenty of cheapo japanese layout keyboards to find you should try it out. There are several major annoyances if you type mostly english, for example:

" is shift+2
' is shirt+ 6 or 7 i forget

The return key is a short L, and usually the backspace is the size of a single letter on a US keyboard, not the double size that you find on a standard 101 layout.

There are some other oddities likes you can type @ or * without a shift. I had a programming job for a summer in Japan, and when I got used to the layout, it actually made some programming stuff easier (especially the arithmetic syntax), but having ' be so far away was still annoying.

Oh yea, and ( and ) are offset by one.

If you plug a Japanese keyboard into a US machine, you can always get it to work. If you  use Windows, and you have your keyboard in your device manager set to a US keyboard, then you'll start typing letters that don't correspond to what's labeled on the keys. This is the different layout. Interestingly, though, it's often the case that the computer will end up with the letter that would be in the same physical position as if the keyboard were a US layout (hopefully that makes sense). It means that the same physical positions usually send the same key codes, just that when you have a Japanese keyboard, you have more keys, so you can send a larger variety of keycodes, and then the OS-side has to interpret them correctly to match what is labeled on the keys.

Anyways, long story short, I found that because I use english keyboards most of the time, it was annoying to just have my personal keyboard be Japanese. Granted, that was also when I was in school, and these days I only intereact with keyboards at work and at home, but still, it wasn't worth the trouble for me. It's also why I can't use the Kinesis..
FILCO FKBN87M/EB / Microsoft Natural Elite / HHKB2 Pro
Keyboards blog | Keyboard Reviews (old blog)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 22:17:58 »
puntium, thank you for the info, very nice. I'm afraid of using other layouts, even European ones, for some of the reasons you just said. I think I'll stick with the US layout I've used all my life.

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 22:29:26 »
Quote from: xsphat;2290
puntium, thank you for the info, very nice. I'm afraid of using other layouts, even European ones, for some of the reasons you just said. I think I'll stick with the US layout I've used all my life.

What, no Dvorak?

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 22:39:50 »
Quote from: puntium;2289
If you plug a Japanese keyboard into a US machine, you can always get it to work. If you  use Windows, and you have your keyboard in your device manager set to a US keyboard, then you'll start typing letters that don't correspond to what's labeled on the keys. This is the different layout. Interestingly, though, it's often the case that the computer will end up with the letter that would be in the same physical position as if the keyboard were a US layout (hopefully that makes sense). It means that the same physical positions usually send the same key codes, just that when you have a Japanese keyboard, you have more keys, so you can send a larger variety of keycodes, and then the OS-side has to interpret them correctly to match what is labeled on the keys.

Very interesting, thanks.  So what you are saying is that no remapping of keys is required? If that's the case, I'd be fine with whatever the keys are labelled with, since I don't look at them anyway. I do prefer long backspace, enter and shift keys, but I'm not really that fussy.  Keyfeel trumps all for me.  BTW, I read all the keyboard reviews on your blog a while back.  Very informative.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 08 January 2008, 22:45:16 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o;2292
What, no Dvorak?

Nope, I use qwerty, always have. I like it.

Offline puntium

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 09 January 2008, 11:14:45 »
Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o;2293
Very interesting, thanks.  So what you are saying is that no remapping of keys is required? If that's the case, I'd be fine with whatever the keys are labelled with, since I don't look at them anyway. I do prefer long backspace, enter and shift keys, but I'm not really that fussy.  Keyfeel trumps all for me.  BTW, I read all the keyboard reviews on your blog a while back.  Very informative.

It depends what you mean by remapping.

In Windows, if you want to properly use a Japanese 106 keyboard (and by properly i mean that the letter that shows up on the screen matches the ltter on the keycap) then you need to configure your keyboard driver in the device manager to be the japanese 106 keyboard.

Linux has similar configuration.. you have to tell X that you want hte japanese keyboard.

If you don't care about the typed characters matching the those on the keys, then I believe that you can get away without changing the software config, though I'm not sure if _every_ key is still in the same place. My major experience was with a Sony Picturebook and an old Justy compact layout keyboard, and both had a slightly non-standard layouts because they were so small. With those, I don't remember not being able to type anything when I dropped into the Linux console where I didn't have the proper keymap set up. But it was very confusing, because I did have it setup when I was in a graphical session.

In practice, I found that the mis-configured scenario (where the os and the keyboard don't match) too confusing. As much as I type, I still never remember where some of the shifted symbols are so I always look, and then you're dead. Also, Japanese keyboards sometimes have other oddities like two keys labeled with _, which can lead to further confusion.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 13 January 2008, 04:08:49 »
Quote from: iMav;2219
Just signed for my delivery from GeekStuff4u.  I ordered the HHKB case from them.

So how is this case? Would you recommend it to another person who carries around their HHKB? Do you think it offers any real protection or is it just so even the most hardcore Magic the Gathering players can rightfully call you a nerd?

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 13 January 2008, 04:17:10 »
Quote from: xsphat;2412
So how is this case? Would you recommend it to another person who carries around their HHKB?

I place my keyboard in the same compartment of my laptop backpack as my Griffin Elevator.  I wanted something that would hold my HHKB and my USB cables as well as protect the keyboard from getting scratched by the Elevator.  

This case serves those purposes quite well.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 13 January 2008, 04:20:22 »
Do you keep that HHKB in the case unless you are at work or where ever?

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 13 January 2008, 04:29:35 »
Quote from: xsphat;2414
Do you keep that HHKB in the case unless you are at work or where ever?

It is only in the case when I am traveling between locations.  At home, my HHKB is on my keyboard tray...hooked up to my MBP.  At work, it is hooked up to this crappy, work-supplied, Dell laptop.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 13 January 2008, 12:09:15 »
See, I figured you carried one HHKB and kept the other at home.

Offline yinzen

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 15 January 2008, 15:47:51 »
Well I own a Black on Black HHKB Pro 2 and an older original HHKB (Model PD-KB02N)

I love the key feel of the HHKB Pro 2, and definitely like the design improvements, like the keycaps having a slight texture to them.

But I gotta say I like the keycaps on the older HHKB better!  They are about half the height so their typing surface is actually a little bit bigger...  I find I do not hit the wrong key as often on the older one, especially when using my pinky on the edge keys.  They also have a slightly shorter travel.

I kind of wish my HHKB Pro 2 had the same smooth feeling keyswitches but with the keycaps and the slightly shorter travel that the older HHKB has.

On a side note, has anyone ever typed on one of the new HHKB Pro HG version?  Does anyone know how much these sell for and if they can be imported yet?

All I can find on the net is talk about the Japan Special Edition one with the lacquered keys.  with a $4,000 pricetag =O

I imagine the 'standard' HHKB Pro HG is much more reasonably priced.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 15 January 2008, 16:15:11 »
Quote from: JeeJoo;2442
On a side note, has anyone ever typed on one of the new HHKB Pro HG version?  Does anyone know how much these sell for and if they can be imported yet?

I know nothing about them.  Maybe some of our members living in that area of the world can enlighten us??

Offline puntium

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 15 January 2008, 16:37:56 »
I think both the Lacquer and the HG were limited editions. PFU's japanese page says they're not being manufactured anymore.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 15 January 2008, 17:13:29 »
And wasn't the HG just a case mod? The HG Japan having the Lacquered keys. It doesn't look like the switches or anything was different.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 15 January 2008, 17:17:21 »
Quote from: JeeJoo;2442
I kind of wish my HHKB Pro 2 had the same smooth feeling keyswitches but with the keycaps and the slightly shorter travel that the older HHKB has.

I thought the original Happy Hacking Keyboard was a membrane, what kind of switches does your's have? You should also post some pics too, I like the original logo better than the one on my Pro 2.

These keyboards just rock, don't they?

Offline yinzen

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 16 January 2008, 07:52:25 »
Quote from: xsphat;2448
I thought the original Happy Hacking Keyboard was a membrane, what kind of switches does your's have? You should also post some pics too, I like the original logo better than the one on my Pro 2.

These keyboards just rock, don't they?

That sentence was poorly worded on my part ...

I wish my HHKB Pro 2 had just the keycaps of the older HHKB.  The keyswitches and feel of the HHKB Pro 2 is much better than on the older HHKB, with maybe the exception of the HHKB Pro 2 having a slightly longer travel.

And my older HHKB doesn't even have a logo!  It is dated as being made in 2000.  

I will try and get some pics of it up later, with side by side comparison of the two styles of keycaps for comparison.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 16 January 2008, 08:27:14 »
I remember almost buying an original Happy Hacking Keyboard back in 1999.  I just couldn't justify the price (I didn't make a lot of money back then).  

It would be cool to have it around now for comparison.  But I certainly wouldn't trade my HHKB Pro for one.  ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 16 January 2008, 10:17:48 »
It's fun to look back and remember the good old days when I was broke ... and now that I have a good paying ... but I have free time ...

Oh crap, I just realized my life sucks! *rushes from room to kill himself*.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 24 January 2008, 13:23:12 »
I've been on my Pro 2 exclusively for a while now and I went back to the SMK85 for a little retro fix and now I find the Alps a little firm for my tastes. Plus, I immediately missed the clean feel of the capacitive switches. This is weird. Another thing I missed from the HHKB was the little snap I feel from the keys. It took a few months, but the HHKB Pro 2 dethroned the SMK85 as my favorite keyboard.

Offline puntium

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 25 January 2008, 12:54:53 »
Yea, once your fingers get accustomed to the smoothness of the capacitive switches, it's hard to go back to anything else. I think if you get the chance, you should still try the brown cherries, since I think they have an equally good and light feel.

Now if only someone made an ergo keyboard with capacitive switches!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 25 January 2008, 23:27:15 »
We're such dreamers here.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 26 January 2008, 12:45:49 »
Quote from: puntium;2601
I think if you get the chance, you should still try the brown cherries, since I think they have an equally good and light feel.

That's next ...

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 29 April 2008, 13:05:35 »
Does the space bar on the HHKB Pro make anyone's thumbs hurt? After a long couple days of writing, my space bar thumb just aches. Not the worst, but I was just wondering if anyone else goes through this.

Offline djones

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 29 April 2008, 13:18:01 »
Quote from: xsphat;4283
Does the space bar on the HHKB Pro make anyone's thumbs hurt? After a long couple days of writing, my space bar thumb just aches. Not the worst, but I was just wondering if anyone else goes through this.

Time to give your hand some rest. The best keyboard in the world isn't going to save you from RSI.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 29 April 2008, 13:22:01 »
Sorry to be unclear -- my hand doesn't hurt like that, it's more from the impact of my thumb on the key and always hitting it on the corner, so the discomfort is strictly external.

Offline iMav

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 29 April 2008, 20:28:02 »
Quote from: xsphat;4285
Sorry to be unclear -- my hand doesn't hurt like that, it's more from the impact of my thumb on the key and always hitting it on the corner, so the discomfort is strictly external.

I have a callous on my thumb from using the space bar.  (although I believe that was there before I started using the HHKB)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 29 April 2008, 21:55:19 »
Thanks for sharing ...

Offline jemkeys

HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 00:56:13 »
I noticed that on the pro model.  I have an original Happy Hacking Lite (without the arrow keys) and the Pro2.  

The whole keys are curved on the pro2 so your thumb is hitting the corner of the space bar.  The only solution is to use the stands so the spacebar is level... but I can't type as fast that way.

The lite1, on the other hand, isn't curved.  so you can have the board lay flat on the table and your thumb hits the space bar correctly.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
HHKB Pro owners
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 30 April 2008, 01:37:38 »
good call jemkeys, I never thought of that. I used to use the legs and this started soon after I stopped using them.