Author Topic: Headphone/Headphone Amp Recommendations  (Read 1443 times)

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Headphone/Headphone Amp Recommendations
« on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 21:23:37 »
Ok. So I'm thinking of setting up a nice audio setup, and I have the mic(s), so I really just need the mixer, amp, and headphones. I don't think the mixer will be too hard to find, so I'm looking for recommendations on headphones (sub-$200 please) and Amps (Sub-$150 (unless you can't find a good one under that) please).

So far I'm thinking of the Audio-Technica ATH-M50s for headphones, and something like http://www.amazon.com/Bravo-12AU7-Tube-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B007VF69GQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1360466206&sr=1-1&keywords=Bravo+audio+v2 for the Amp. Anyone have anything better, or any points that would persuade me not to get either of those (besides the open sides on the amp)?
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
Re: Headphone/Headphone Amp Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 21:36:50 »
If you don't mind refurbs, perhaps try the K550? You could also try the dt770 or dt990 pro. These 3 would have much better SQ than the M50 and are much more comfortable too.

At your price range I think you're better off with the Schiit Magni or the O2 amp.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline inteli722

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 21:44:41 »
as far as the amp goes, the O2 looks like it would be great except it has an 3.5mm in, which doesn't sound great to me, but it would certainly do.

As far as refurb headphones, I'm not entirely sure I would trust that, and the only thing that really put me off from the DT770/990 was the different options. I'm in a family house, so I'm not sure whether I would want the open design. Any indication on how the sound leaks from the 990s, and would I want the 250 OHM model?
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline bavman

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 21:49:56 »
If you can only output RCA just get a 3.5mm to RCA converter, dirt cheap on ebay.

I have the 990s so I can tell you if your in the same room you can basically hear everything. If your outside the room, you won't hear much especially if the door is closed. If your getting an amp you might as well get the 600ohm version as they tend to be more refined in terms of sound quality compared to the 32/80/250 versions

Offline inteli722

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 21:55:00 »
If you can only output RCA just get a 3.5mm to RCA converter, dirt cheap on ebay.

I have the 990s so I can tell you if your in the same room you can basically hear everything. If your outside the room, you won't hear much especially if the door is closed. If your getting an amp you might as well get the 600ohm version as they tend to be more refined in terms of sound quality compared to the 32/80/250 versions

It's not that I can only output RCA, It's just I don't really like 3.5mm jack to 3.5mm jack. Haven't had the best experiences with them. Optimally, the headphones would be something I can use with and without an amp, though I'll probably just keep them on the amp. The 600ohm 990s are out of my price range (rather significantly), so I'll likely go with the 250ohm model if I go with the 990s.

Anyone here want to comment on the 770s?
More

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 February 2013, 21:55:20 »
Check out this guide for descriptions and comparisons between the beyers. But under $200 your options would be dt770 pro 250 or 80 ohm and dt990 250 ohm.

THe dt990 would leak out lots of noise, plus you can hear sounds around you as well.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 14 February 2013, 15:04:38 »
I have the Bayer 770 Pro's, and they're nice. Maybe you can find a receiver on Craigslist for cheap :D