Author Topic: IDEA: SPAAACE! Spacebar keycap (Portal)  (Read 6228 times)

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
IDEA: SPAAACE! Spacebar keycap (Portal)
« on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:17:29 »
Hey,

I've been ill today and during my boredom I played some Portal 2. I randomly had a thought that this would be a good idea for a Spacebar :P

Anyone think the same? :D

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: IDEA: SPAAACE! Spacebar keycap (Portal)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:23:15 »
I would like this keycap, but there would certainly have to be some changes for me to really want it:

A) White on Black suits the theme better
B) I would rather have Doubleshot than multi-color
C) the font is sickening for me.

I would prefer this:

With Space written across the bottom stretching the length of the spacebar.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 14:38:13 »
I would like this keycap, but there would certainly have to be some changes for me to really want it:

A) White on Black suits the theme better
B) I would rather have Doubleshot than multi-color
C) the font is sickening for me.

I agree, The problem is that me and photoshop aren't friends!  ;)

Offline inteli722

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:03:31 »

Hows this?

Font's a temporary thing, but I had nothing better. It's just a barebones remake of what I would like to see.
More

Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:05:34 »
Like this?

This also looks better

P.S Dont ask me what the resolution is doing in Photoshop, some people are going to be facepalming so hard at this  :p

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:06:05 »
Show Image

Hows this?

Font's a temporary thing, but I had nothing better. It's just a barebones remake of what I would like to see.

Haha, you beat me to it  ;D

Offline inteli722

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:07:36 »
Your font's better.

"But I think you can tell what I prefer, though I do like the design of yours slighty more, I just threw something together in GIMP real quick.
More

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:12:03 »
Your font's better.

"But I think you can tell what I prefer, though I do like the design of yours slighty more, I just threw something together in GIMP real quick.

Yep, how expensive is it to get stuff like this made(I'm completely new to mechanical keyboards)? :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:21:30 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:28:42 »
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/custom-keycap.html

Select keycap type "spacebar".

Wow, I was looking on there for about 10 minutes trying to find a single custom spacebar and didn't even see that option. Thanks, might order one when I have perfected the design a bit better! :D

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:36:53 »
Dyesub Spacebars are hard to do.  IMSTO attempted some for a GH fundraiser and they came out bowed.  Currently double-shot spacebars are not feasible in the DSA profile.

Offline inteli722

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:39:31 »
So it would seem WASD is the best bet, except they don't have Navy Blue. White on Black it is!
More

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 15:43:43 »
Dyesub Spacebars are hard to do.  IMSTO attempted some for a GH fundraiser and they came out bowed.  Currently double-shot spacebars are not feasible in the DSA profile.

Oh right fairly limited then. Funnily enough now you have mentioned it, I notice the stock spacebar on my keycool is slightly bowed :'(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 16:11:19 »
WASD did have a dark blue option, but apparently it was too difficult to get legends on to it, so they switched the blue to the much lighter blue.

A bowed keyboard might be stranghtenable with careful application of a hair dryer whilst the spacebar is resting on a flat surface.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 16:24:51 »
WASD did have a dark blue option, but apparently it was too difficult to get legends on to it, so they switched the blue to the much lighter blue.

I'll probably go for Black or Dark Grey anyway :D

A bowed keyboard might be stranghtenable with careful application of a hair dryer whilst the spacebar is resting on a flat surface.

Thanks for that, might try that one day, although this is running through my head at the moment.....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 17:23:30 »
That does not look like careful application! :eek:

Offline jabar

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 10 February 2013, 19:58:03 »
That Portal 2 Spaaaace bar would be awesome on an old IBM PC keyboard, pre model M
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 01:02:49 »
That Portal 2 Spaaaace bar would be awesome on an old IBM PC keyboard, pre model M

Would it be cost-effective to get a mini group buy for this, as we already have three potential buyers?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 03:13:10 »
Yes!  It looks like if you buy 5 you get them half price.  Buy 10 and they are about 1/3 price.

Discounts are noted on the WASD page linked above (although they apply to the price, not the $0.50 extra for  spacebar).

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 05:39:12 »
Yes!  It looks like if you buy 5 you get them half price.  Buy 10 and they are about 1/3 price.

Discounts are noted on the WASD page linked above (although they apply to the price, not the $0.50 extra for  spacebar).

Ye, that's what I was looking at, maybe I should post this in the Group Buys section and see how much interest it gets :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 13:15:32 »
You need at least 60 posts :(

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:05:48 »
You need at least 60 posts :(

Oh right, so it requires either someone else to do it if anyone's interested, or for me to start interacting in the community a lot more ;)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:06:32 »
Yep :)  21 posts atm - more than 1/3 the way there ...

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:08:02 »
Good luck luke, anything with regards to key caps in the UK usually goes badly wrong. :3
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline inteli722

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:11:29 »
Don't worry! You'll get there fast!

I would host the GB, but I have far too much on my plate to get that scheduled and sorted. However, you have my guaranteed participation if this goes through, even if I have to buy a whole new keyboard to mount it on :P
More

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:12:20 »
Good luck luke, anything with regards to key caps in the UK usually goes badly wrong. :3

Oh right thanks :-[, any reasoning for that?

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:14:03 »
Don't worry! You'll get there fast!

I would host the GB, but I have far too much on my plate to get that scheduled and sorted. However, you have my guaranteed participation if this goes through, even if I have to buy a whole new keyboard to mount it on :P

Haha, well thank you very much  ;D

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:15:21 »

Insane shipping prices from the US home of the fancy-pants keycaps, although it you want these keys made you could also contact QWERkeys they are based in the UK. Feel free to PM me and I shall devourer to help you in anyway I can.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:28:47 »

Insane shipping prices from the US home of the fancy-pants keycaps, although it you want these keys made you could also contact QWERkeys they are based in the UK. Feel free to PM me and I shall devourer to help you in anyway I can.

Ye, I was just thinking about shipping because to be honest it wouldn't exactly be efficient for people in the US, to have the key caps shipped across the pond to have them shipped back over again....  :-X

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:33:08 »
I have just emailed QWERkeys but I also noticed this in their FAQ:

Space bars are not available due to the many different sizes of space bar.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 11 February 2013, 15:37:04 »
Oh... :3

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:22:47 »
60 Posts, that was quick, i can calm down a bit now  :))

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 20:41:02 »
Doesn't take long, does it? :)