Author Topic: Best bang for buck keycap set for qfr  (Read 5254 times)

Offline brialona

Best bang for buck keycap set for qfr
« on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 19:53:03 »
I have a qfr and looking to get a new set.  I am looking for either blanks or the old school ones that are light gray/ dark gray.  Where would be the best place to get it? I read that wasdkeyboards space bar won't fit properly. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
ozil

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: Best bang for buck keycap set for qfr
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 20:01:50 »
If you're looking to get a fully compatible, full set of keycaps, WASD (www.wasdkeyboards.com) sells nice ABS keycaps in OEM profile. You can get them blank, laser etched, or engraved. Multiple colors are available, and you can design your own layout on their website. The spacebar fits a QFR just fine.

If you want double shot ABS instead, Signature Plastics sells standard sets on their marketplace page (www.keycapsdirect.com). You can get them in either black with white print, or white with black print. Full sets cost the same, $60, as the WASD full sets. These area also fully compatible with your QFR.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 20:45:32 »
Any standard spacebar should fit on a QFR.

As jdcarpe suggested, and have a look in the group buys and classifieds here.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 21:26:06 »
I have a qfr and looking to get a new set.  I am looking for either blanks or the old school ones that are light gray/ dark gray.  Where would be the best place to get it? I read that wasdkeyboards space bar won't fit properly. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Imsto white/grey blank PBT are about 50-60 bucks. Lots of people prefer PBT to ABS once they try it. The texture can be slightly different but IMO the durability and lack of visible degradation (that is, shine) really make PBT keys worth the switch.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Turkishrambo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 21:28:18 »
http://stores.ebay.ca/somefenggeeky

Feng has a few sets you might be interested in; check out his ebay store

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 21:31:11 »
here is imsto's thread about his:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33416.0

pretty widely regarded as the best brand-new PBT caps you can get for MX switches other than NIB NOS cherry.

you can see pics of the white/grey set here http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.w4996320547.15.DBnAuX&id=16466008966&
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 February 2013, 21:34:17 by sth »
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 23:21:39 »
If you buy a set from Signature Plastics, make sure you buy 10 stabilizer inserts from WASD keyboards.  The standard inserts are very loose (i ended up using hot melt glue to stop mine from falling out :P)
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 February 2013, 23:23:27 by strafe »
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 February 2013, 23:22:33 »
If you buy a set from Signature Plastics, make sure you buy a set of extra stabilizer inserts from WASD keyboards.  The standard inserts are very loose (i ended up using hot melt glue to stop mine from falling out :P)
dude... just cut a ~4mm square of clear tape and put it on the stem before pressing the key on

Offline brialona

Re: Re: Best bang for buck keycap set for qfr
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 03:42:45 »
here is imsto's thread about his:
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33416.0

pretty widely regarded as the best brand-new PBT caps you can get for MX switches other than NIB NOS cherry.

you can see pics of the white/grey set here http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3.w4996320547.15.DBnAuX&id=16466008966&

I really like some of his sets.  How do I buy from him?
ozil

Offline remmeh

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:06:45 »
I really like some of his sets.  How do I buy from him?

I wasn't aware imsto had any more of the 2-tone beige blanks, but you can probably just send him a pm

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:52:15 »
If you're looking to get a fully compatible, full set of keycaps, WASD (www.wasdkeyboards.com) sells nice ABS keycaps in OEM profile. You can get them blank, laser etched, or engraved. Multiple colors are available, and you can design your own layout on their website. The spacebar fits a QFR just fine.

If you want double shot ABS instead, Signature Plastics sells standard sets on their marketplace page (www.keycapsdirect.com). You can get them in either black with white print, or white with black print. Full sets cost the same, $60, as the WASD full sets. These area also fully compatible with your QFR.

Uh WASD's 104 keyset is $49.99 etched or engraved... & $39.99 blank.

Now SP is $60 for just an 87 keyset... definitely not the same price.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 11:54:59 »

Sorry, I was thinking of the price from the custom keyboard designer. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:03:56 »
If you buy a set from Signature Plastics, make sure you buy a set of extra stabilizer inserts from WASD keyboards.  The standard inserts are very loose (i ended up using hot melt glue to stop mine from falling out :P)
dude... just cut a ~4mm square of clear tape and put it on the stem before pressing the key on

Teflon tape works really well too.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:04:32 »

Sorry, I was thinking of the price from the custom keyboard designer. :(
No worries... SP's 87 key pricing really does not make sense to me...

edit; ...perhaps it's their new investments (employees, website stuff, general production issues) in the 'new' general kb hobbyist market and the fact they're running a domestic based business.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:46:07 by Lu_e »

Offline whiskytango

• Don't touch the trim
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 12:54:11 »

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

I used cut up pieces of a plastic shopping bag. It was within arms reach of my desk at the time...
I stay busy with work and family these days, but I'm still around, lurking.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:34:44 »

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

good call. the only thing i use teflon tape for is wrapping around my plugs when i stretch my ears :P

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 18:23:18 »
I ordered my thin PBT's from feng's shop because imsto didn't have the color combo I wanted. Not bad for $35.