Author Topic: New to the custom keyboard world  (Read 1448 times)

Offline nicholaspeterson

• MidwestSQL
New to the custom keyboard world
« on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 13:58:06 »
Hello, recently found this site and I'm intrigued, some keyboard history, I usually use an Apple Keyboard (109 keys) at work, and recently purchased a Microsoft Natural 4000 ergo keyboard at home, which I don't really prefer. I've been interested in mechanical keyboards but could never truly justify the price difference, but after starting a job as a programmer several years ago I've started to reconsider.

I like keyboards that have a Meta Key rather than a Windows logo, and I'm looking for something that is natively PS/2, with a meta key, and decent touch typing response. I'm beginning to think the only thing that comes close is the happy hacking pro 2, which is pricey, but ultimately not unattainable. I'd prefer something less expensive if only because I'd likely buy two, one for work and the other for home.

I'm also interested in custom fabrication of keyboards, mostly because there is a certain non-standard experiment I'd like to try regarding key placement. I have an incredibly odd idea for a keyboard I'd like to get input on that has to do with reducing key count drastically via using three valued keys and the right alt button as a different modifier.

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
Re: New to the custom keyboard world
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 19:58:38 »
Welcome!

I figure that having a look at any custom keyboards here will suddenly think the HHKB is cheap... :P

This is WalletClack, where your wallet is now ours and will be exchanged for ClickClack Skulls. If your up for it, you MAY be able to swing getting a GH60 for about $150, but that's cutting costs somewhere (Plastic case, no special keys, etc), but it can ultimately provide a function akin to a HHKB in Cherry MX form (Heck, there's even an HHKB layout option :P).
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Strelok

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 21:34:52 »
You could get some older keyboards with ALPS switches or buckling springs for really cheap for work and home, and then wait for the group buy the the custom GH60 PCB.

The GH60 is just the circuit board, you'll have to buy Cheryy MX switches, keycaps and a case for it, but the function layer is programmable. You can look at the prototyping thread here: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34959.0

Other than that, the HHKB is a 60% board, there are a few of them around, including the GH60. Off the top of my head:
KBT Pure
KBC Poker
Tex Mini (Upcoming)
Filco Manila(Upcoming)
and I think a CoolerMaster board that I can't remember.

As far as not having a windows key, you could get custom keycaps for any of these, as well as cases that remove the key altogether.

Happy hunting!

Offline nicholaspeterson

• MidwestSQL
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 21:21:23 »
Thanks for the replies, the custom gc60 stuff is really cool, I'm going to try reading some forum history and maybe try fabricating a simple, inexpensive board to get the Han of it and understand where to spend money and where it's a waste. I'll let you guys know what I end up doing, maybe post some pictures and have a project thread.