Author Topic: Was a Dolch-replica Tsangan Kit ever made?  (Read 2552 times)

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
Was a Dolch-replica Tsangan Kit ever made?
« on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 01:09:09 »
Was a Dolch-replica Tsangan Kit ever made?*

And if so, does anybody have one they can sell to me?

And if not, would anybody be interested in a group buy? (I guess it would need to be in conjunction with a Dolch Moogle kit too?)

*Attention Mods, Please Note:  I dunno where this thread should go, so mods can move it if you want to.  (It's mainly a general keycaps question, but it also may be a pre-interest check, but it also could be considered a classified WTB thread, if any Dolch Tsangan kits exist:  you decide, b/c I honestly don't know.)
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline Turbo Slaab

Re: Was a Dolch-replica Tsangan Kit ever made?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 01:34:40 »
Looking for CC's!

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 02:00:17 »
I saw that thread, and I read through that.

LOL, hashbaz said Dolch Pac keyboard comes with 1.5x modifiers, 7x spacebar, and a short Right shift, but that doesn't answer your question of why no Tsangan Dolch kit.  :(

Also it doesn't address the problem of the missing 1x modifier keys that are the basis of a Tsangan kit.

To show what I'm talking about, here is my Dolch Pac keyboard:

And here is my Phantom:

Now, if you are like me, and you are trying to put the Dolch set onto the Phantom, then youl need 1x meta-key modifiers, and a full-sized right shift.  (Same thing with the CHEAT, or the LZ-GH).

Also if you wanted to use this Dolch set on a Filco, you would need a 1.25x modifier keys for the bottom row, along with a 6.25x space bar (which is the classic Moogle kit), along with a full-sized Right Shift and a non-stepped Caps Lock.

Maybe I should do an interest check for this sort of a kit.  Calling it a Moogle + Tsangan kit is wrong, I guess.  Maybe it should be called a "Universal Dolch-Adapter Kit"  And it would adapt an original set of Dolch Pac keycaps to any MX keyboard.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 02:11:19 »
Ahhh. Thanks for clearing that up! I think I confused myself a little. Lol. I would be interested in this, however, if the rumors are true that Sherryton has dolch sets coming, I would probably jump on the full set. I know Lysol/Ivan was going to hold off and see what Sherryton has but I don't see why instead of full sets he couldn't do moogle/tsangan kits.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 09:56:05 »
I think for the 1x keys most people just use the numpad keys from the bottom two rows because most of these keyboards are TKL, I see people use arrow keys for 60% boards too. WKL models are very popular as well so most of the time 1x keys aren't even needed.

The reason why hashbaz said Dolch Pac keyboard comes with 1.5x modifiers, 7x spacebar, and a short Right shift is because that is essentially what the tsangan kit is for. I don't think the 1x unit keys were popular enough to create the tsangan kit in dolch colorways.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 February 2013, 14:37:13 »
I think it's a reasonable thing to start an IC for. If someone like you wanted the 1x keys on the bottom row profile, and had problems accepting that those keys would have a separate profile from the original Cherry spacebar and other keys, they may be interested in an entire tsangan with a longer right shift instead of a shorter one.

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 19:42:45 »
I think for the 1x keys most people just use the numpad keys from the bottom two rows because most of these keyboards are TKL, I see people use arrow keys for 60% boards too. WKL models are very popular as well so most of the time 1x keys aren't even needed.

The reason why hashbaz said Dolch Pac keyboard comes with 1.5x modifiers, 7x spacebar, and a short Right shift is because that is essentially what the tsangan kit is for. I don't think the 1x unit keys were popular enough to create the tsangan kit in dolch colorways.

Hmm, when I read your commment, I think it sounded like I was bashing hashbaz, which I wasn't.  I participated in every one of his group buys, except for one I think.  And IMO, he does a great job running a group buy, so I have no problems with him or his group buys.  My problem is with the general lack of a Moogle/Tsangan kit for Dolch.  So I still think there is a need for a special Dolch adapter kit, which would be specially suited to the keycaps that come off a Dolch Pac keyboard.  Other sets of vintage Cherry keycaps come in a variety of shapes and sizes. But the Dolch sets all come the same way, because they all come from the same Dolch Pac Keyboard, and they all need the same Long Right Shift, non-stepped Caps Lock, and bottom row conversion keys, either 1.25x or 1.5x and 1.0x.  [I have however, seen an ISO version of the Dolch Pac Keyboard, so I guess there is one variation, but still we could make a universal adapter kit for Dolch.]

I think it's a reasonable thing to start an IC for. If someone like you wanted the 1x keys on the bottom row profile, and had problems accepting that those keys would have a separate profile from the original Cherry spacebar and other keys, they may be interested in an entire tsangan with a longer right shift instead of a shorter one.

Yes!  Thank you for understanding what I'm talking about!  And thank you for seeing the need for this critical Dolch kit! :))  I guess I need to make an IC thread.  I just hope there are more than 4 people interested in my Dolch Adapter kit idea.