Author Topic: Audio Technica M50  (Read 1250 times)

Offline jooks1184

Audio Technica M50
« on: Thu, 28 February 2013, 23:48:41 »
Hello everyone,

I just recently ordered a pair of AT M50s. I was wondering if anyone had experience with these headphones and could tell me what to expect in terms of sound quality and how to get the most out of them. On a side note, I don't want to have to get a headphone amp. Thanks.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Re: Audio Technica M50
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 00:03:40 »
If these are your first pair of audiophile grade headphones, you will be amazed at what you've not been hearing. The M50s are a great entry level set, and pair really well with gaming because of their focus on deep and clear bass. The only issue with them is they can be uncomfortable if you don't have a tiny head, and the cups are kind of crap and wear out/crack very fast. I would recommend replacing them with some Grado velour pads which will last much longer and not get all hot. As for an amp I can only speak from experience, M50s were my first pair of serious headphones back in my audio noob days, and I was very happy with them for a long time. I eventually upgraded them to some Denon's and got an O2 amp with it. When I plugged my M50s into it just to see if I would notice any difference I was absolutely floored by how much more I was getting out of them and couldn't possibly imagine listening to them (or any) cans without one.

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 00:11:41 »
Wow. Lots of information. Much appreciated. I will definitely look into those velour pads. I've also heard that they are very comfortable. Is there a specific amp you would recommend? I am a full audio noob. Thanks again.

Offline nullstring

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 00:14:51 »
M50's don't need an amp.

When you purchase headphones that do require an amp, it's typical to research which amp pairs best with that specific headphone.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 21:29:12 »
There are some people that will tell you to burn them in. I think you should just listen to them and enjoy them over time. Have fun! They're amazing for EDM.

Offline jooks1184

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 23:31:03 »
awesome.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 12:39:27 »
I have one of these. It works fine without an amp, although I'm not an audiophile guru. The cord is ridiculously long, so I had to braid mine.

Offline Kuroneko

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 07:56:00 »
I've had these for 4 years. They're alright but the ear pads do wear out quickly like mentioned. I'm on my second pair of ear pads. They also get uncomfortable but that depends on person to person.