Author Topic: Digital Camera  (Read 1720 times)

Offline yester64

Digital Camera
« on: Fri, 01 March 2013, 23:30:18 »
Right now i use my Nexus 4 as a camera, but i notice that it has its limits. For example, if i want to take pictures with HDR you need to stay steady and not against the sun in any way to get  a good picture.
So its ok for the occasional picture fest on a trip, but i am looking for something better for on the go as well.

I used to have a Canon pocket camera but i heard that Panasonic makes good cameras as well. Though i never had one from Panasonic. I am not even sure if someone on this forum uses a camera but whatever the case i try my luck.

There are some aspects of a camera that are important to me like low-light ability and small enough to carry around. Not sure if most cameras have now GPS but on the other hand its not that important.
Good quality is of course also on my list. Anyway i think low-light is one of the things i am really looking for.
For a short time i had a Canon Elph (can't remember the number but was from 2012) was ok but sucked at low-light. It was only $150 Dollars.

Anyway, any suggestions?
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline Malphas

Re: Digital Camera
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 03:00:17 »
Panasonic LX7.

Offline yester64

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 13:23:03 »
Panasonic LX7.

Thank you, i will check it out. Its been a long time that i bought a camera. Still have a Canon SD400 but thats only 4MP.

Offline Atakp

Digital Camera
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 13:32:01 »
What kind of budget are you working with?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 14:26:32 »
4 Mpix is perfectly fine with this size of sensor, at least for most people.

Offline Atakp

Digital Camera
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 14:46:46 »
4 Mpix is perfectly fine with this size of sensor, at least for most people.

But if low light performance is the goal the SD400 maximum aperture at f/2.8 isn't going to cut it

Offline yester64

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 16:23:27 »
Well, i am not going for the megapixels although 4 is maybe old school now. Lowlight on the other hand is important to me. With the SD400 to take a photo under lowlight conditions is very bad and you can not really compensate with the manual controls either. At least i never had luck in that.

Not sure on the budget front. Up to $400 should be ok but not over and that is partly because i don't use the camera that often. At least not so often that i can justify a high investment.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 16:47:33 »
I was going to recommend the Sony RX100 but I think it's a over your budget.

Very, very nice camera though for a P&S. Some of my friends got rid of their DSLR's and just use the RX now.

Offline Atakp

Digital Camera
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 16:54:50 »
Well, i am not going for the megapixels although 4 is maybe old school now. Lowlight on the other hand is important to me. With the SD400 to take a photo under lowlight conditions is very bad and you can not really compensate with the manual controls either. At least i never had luck in that.

Not sure on the budget front. Up to $400 should be ok but not over and that is partly because i don't use the camera that often. At least not so often that i can justify a high investment.

Based on all of that I would second the LX7 recommendation. It stops down to f/1.4 maximum aperture with the minimum aperture at 2.5. It also has noise reduction in the processor which helps shooting at higher ISOs.

Another one to look at is the Fujifilm XF1 which goes down to f/1.8 and has similar features. 

Both if those come in right around $400.

I thought of the RX100 as well but it is quite a bit over budget.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 March 2013, 16:56:45 by Atakp »

Offline yester64

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 18:25:42 »
Uh yes... that Sony is out of my range. looks good though.

I think i will give the Panasonic a shot :)

In my opinion it is hard to make a good educated decision about a camera since there are so many and, from what i see, none really shines as the best in everything. So there are sacrifices but it can be balanced.