Author Topic: New wannabe DIY split keyboard builder  (Read 1762 times)

Offline mysterd

New wannabe DIY split keyboard builder
« on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 12:27:31 »
Hello.

A new member from France here.

I first read about GeekHack from articles on instructables.com...

My ambition is to build a custom wooden work surface which will include a split keyboard (very split ! hands would be at least 30cm apart !).

I'm hoping to find a lot of help and support here !

Thanks in advance for your kind welcome !

Myster-D

Offline calavera

Re: New wannabe DIY split keyboard builder
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 12:32:29 »
Welcome to GH!

There was a group buy on massdrop for a split keyboard (ergodox) a few months back, too bad you missed it. I missed it too. :(

Offline mysterd

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 12:52:56 »
Thank you very much for taking time answering  ;)

Actually, i'm looking forward to building the thing myself, as it would have to be integrated in some sort of wood plank.

I was thinking of two metal plates, each with a set of cherry mx switches (obviously plate-mounted), linked to a teensy board with direct wiring.

The main concern for me will be to find such plates... Having them easily cut seems beyond my reach here in France...

I'll soon be posting some sketch of what i'm hoping to make.

Thanks,

Myster-d

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 13:04:53 »

Actually, i'm looking forward to building the thing myself, as it would have to be integrated in some sort of wood plank.

I was thinking of two metal plates, each with a set of cherry mx switches (obviously plate-mounted), linked to a teensy board with direct wiring.

The main concern for me will be to find such plates... Having them easily cut seems beyond my reach here in France...

Thanks,

Myster-d

Why do you say it's hard to get plates cut? There must be a machine shop SOMEWHERE in France or Europe you can ask for quotes.

Offline mysterd

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 March 2013, 14:24:05 »

Thanks,

Myster-d

Why do you say it's hard to get plates cut? There must be a machine shop SOMEWHERE in France or Europe you can ask for quotes.

Well, I hope there is somewhere :) So far i've only found "industrial" companies which will only make large quantities in France.
I think i'll have to use foreign companies. The "FrontPanelExpress" company seems to have a german equivalent which will ship to France. I'll try that if it is not too expensive.