Author Topic: Vinyl Wrap Jobbie  (Read 4250 times)

Offline BornEvil

Vinyl Wrap Jobbie
« on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 15:36:08 »
Sunday is boring, did some clearing out and found some Glossy White vinyl in my garage: so I spent the last hour wrapping my CM Storm Quickfire Pro's face.

for those who don't know (not very popular KB within GH) this is how it looks stock :

It will be replaced as my daily driver very soon (need a TKL, as the QFP is too big) so don't plan to do any thing major to it. Pretty Happy with the results

I quite like the black/white/black look:

Got rid of the OTT branding on top, I can live with that one goes with the color scheme too :):

I just hate the key caps, ugly font and rubberized texture highlights dust and finger prints (on camera anyways):

Got lazy with the hair drier near the end and screwered up that bit (did not use heatgun as it will melt the plastic):

The keyboard will be replaced very soon, so did not but too much effort into it. The great thing about vinyl is, you can rip it off to restore it.

My Ducky 9087 Shine II should be coming in the next few days, I am considering doing the same thing but putting more time into it.
9087 Shine 2 Brown ISO | Quickfire Pro Red ISO | Quickfire Rapid Brown ANSI

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
Re: Vinyl Wrap Jobbie
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 16:06:18 »
Thats good work.  I tried the vinyl thing and I suck at it.  Attractive!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 16:17:37 »
Too bad about those grooves!

Everybody else seems to have the most trouble with the corners, but yours look pretty clean, all things considered.

I am waiting for fish scales or wood grain.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline zoolzoo

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 16:47:57 »
Nice except the grooves, but you already knew that. What can you really do there with vinyl anyway?
Leopold FC660C, Topre 45g | CM QFR, MX Blue | Rosewill RK-9000v2, MX Red | Cherry Slimline G84-4100, ML | Ducky One2 Mini RGB, MX Red

Offline BornEvil

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 March 2013, 16:59:42 »
Nice except the grooves, but you already knew that. What can you really do there with vinyl anyway?

A proper heat gun can melt the vinyl slightly and it becomes very easy to stretch, then use a credit card to tuck into the grooves. I only used a hair drier as a heat gun will most likely melt the plastic case.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 08:41:53 »
Quote from: BornEvil
Vinyl Wrap Jobbie
This has nothing to do with the first thing that popped into my head upon reading this...

However, it looks nice, except for that top right corner, as mentioned. If you do the Ducky, make sure to post more pictures!

Offline BornEvil

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 March 2013, 10:34:29 »
It came ;)

Might give it a few days before I void the warranty.