Author Topic: Are topres worth it  (Read 14371 times)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Are topres worth it
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:56:39 »
Sure, some opinions are more valid than other opinions. Enjoy your elitist circlejerk.

Do you own Topre?

I have used an HHKB, and wasn't impressed. It was certainly a solid keyboard, and the switches felt nice to me, but I wouldn't pay $300 for this kind of incremental improvements. If they sold the μTron for $300, it'd be different story.

Offline twilek

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:59:08 »
So hhkb's are 45 grams? what is the best topre gram amount for someone like me who likes his keyboard to be so hard that a fricken  hammer can't press it? Also, which is better hhkb or realforce?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 14:59:35 »
Sure, some opinions are more valid than other opinions. Enjoy your elitist circlejerk.

Do you own Topre?

I have used an HHKB, and wasn't impressed. It was certainly a solid keyboard, and the switches felt nice to me, but I wouldn't pay $300 for this kind of incremental improvements. If they sold the μTron for $300, it'd be different story.

How long did you use it for?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:08:13 »
Good god this has gotten ridiculous. I'm out.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:08:14 »

Do you own Topre?

Here we go again. It's irrelevant. My wrists hurt on any non-split/staggered layout. If yours don't, good for you.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:10:26 »

Do you own Topre?

Here we go again. It's irrelevant. My wrists hurt on any non-split/staggered layout. If yours don't, good for you.

You are posting complete bull****, you cannot comment on Topre boards if you only tried one for a few minutes and then decided it was **** because you have issues with standard shape boards.

Offline twilek

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:18:14 »
Good god this has gotten ridiculous. I'm out.
yep, I concur, when I made this thread I asked for opinions, not a GOD D A M N holy war!!!!!!
/thread

Offline twilek

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:25:20 »
So without another nerd flame war (the worst kind of flame war) I would like an answer to these questions
-What is the best topre key weight for someone with heavy hands
-What does this weight sound like
-Where can I acquire such an object
-How much is it
-Will there ever be peace between the topre fans and the cherry fans?

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:27:49 »
I would love a 55g HHKB but that isn't an option without buying a 55g RF board to bastardise.

I would go for a 55g RF TKL board or a HHKB.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:29:37 »
55g
'Thock'
Classifieds/eBay/EliteKeyboards
Depends where you purchase from
No
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:35:48 by Dgsbllx »

Offline twilek

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:38:28 »
Excellent, now we come to the question on whether there can be peace between the topre nerds and the cherry nerds. If there can't, then I'm buying a topre and a cherry, going into a room, tatooing a blue arrow on my head and I shall proclaim myself the avatar of keyboards, here to bring peace between the two worlds. Or, you know, the admins could just let ripster back on who does the same thing basically every day.

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #111 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:40:11 »
Both have their place, I have a Filco with browns at home for my Scarface caps and a HHKB at work :D

Offline twilek

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:44:26 »
So there can be peace, alleijuah! Now what about the admins letting ripster back?
edit: is his name like voldemort or something, why does no one talk about him

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:48:54 »
Does hhkb have varied weight?  Varied wheight seems like itd be nice to try.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #114 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:50:27 »
HHKB is 45g uniform afaik

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:54:01 »
Did you really need to start another thread for this? All the answers are littered throughout the last thread.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 15:55:26 »
Ripster does not want to be back or be back to contribute.  He only comes back to troll he hates geekhack. When you know that, if you want to talk to him, you will have to go to reddit. He seems qu ite busy with that. He mods like 4000 users. I havent seen him contribute to keyboard science for a while except for starting trends like shoes with keyboards. He seems to be less about the keyboards now and more about the socializing and trolling.
SmallFry! <3

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:16:17 »
Did you really need to start another thread for this? All the answers are littered throughout the last thread.

I'm not sure how "flame wars" (dramatic much?) equates to the passionate Topre discussion... Google is your friend for a lot of these questions.

So without another nerd flame war (the worst kind of flame war) I would like an answer to these questions
-What is the best topre key weight for someone with heavy hands
-What does this weight sound like
-Where can I acquire such an object
-How much is it
-Will there ever be peace between the topre fans and the cherry fans?

1. Probably the heaviest topre weight... 55g.
2. see Youtube.com or the onomatopoeia "thock"
3. Now you're just being redundant, or lazy.
3.5 teh Internets
4. LOL
5. not if the discussion revolves around "price vs "value""
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:19:17 by JesuswasaZombie »

Offline twilek

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:46:05 »
ah, sorry bout the double post, but now I just want to know why the heck ripster left keyboards, all of that smugness must of caught up to him ay?

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:51:36 »
This is probably the most obvious troll I have seen yet.

Offline ishumprod

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 17:06:31 »
hey brocaps do you ever made chocolate brocaps ?
home-made TKL rubber dome keyboard !

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 17:07:14 »

Offline twilek

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:05:21 »
I am no troll, although my troll skills may be so epic that even when I'm not trying I'm unconsiously trolling everyone :)

Offline Amarok

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:08:27 »
If you're on the fence about trying one, just buy it and try it. If you don't love it sell it in the classified section for a 10-20 dollar loss. Not a big deal.
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:10:15 »
I'm actually looking to purchase my first topre keyboard in the next few days, I'm using a Dell Quietkey which actually sounds kind of comparable to Topre since they are made with relatively better rubber domes.  As far as Cherry Switches go, Blue was my favorite, I found Reds great for gaming (WoW, Counter-Strike) but pretty difficult to type on.  Would the RF 104ub be my best bet or should I go for the 87u 55g?
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:12:24 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Amarok

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:11:34 »
I'm actually looking to purchase my first topre keyboard in the next few days, I'm using a Dell Quietkey which actually sounds kind of comparable to Topre since they are made with relatively better plastic domes.  As far as Cherry Switches go, Blue was my favorite, I found Reds great for gaming (WoW, Counter-Strike) but pretty difficult to type on.  Would the RF 104ub be my best bet or should I go for the 87u 55g?

Blue was by far my favorite as well. I got the 45g 87U because I was told the weight of this board is closest to Blues. I really really like it, but of course now I'm itching to give the 55g a try as well...
Realforce 87u 55g

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 19:14:44 »
I'm actually looking to purchase my first topre keyboard in the next few days, I'm using a Dell Quietkey which actually sounds kind of comparable to Topre since they are made with relatively better plastic domes.  As far as Cherry Switches go, Blue was my favorite, I found Reds great for gaming (WoW, Counter-Strike) but pretty difficult to type on.  Would the RF 104ub be my best bet or should I go for the 87u 55g?

Blue was by far my favorite as well. I got the 45g 87U because I was told the weight of this board is closest to Blues. I really really like it, but of course now I'm itching to give the 55g a try as well...
It's very tough! I know it's kind of silly looking at it this way, but I really love that thock, thock, thock sound a lot.  From the videos I have watched it seems like it's dampened a little bit on 45g and more noticeable on 55g.  I obviously would choose the one that would offer me the most comfortable typing/gaming experience however.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 20:00:42 »
Whoa hey, I thought this was the last thread actually.  OP, what more do you need to know?  If this one gets even a little out of hand I'ma slap it down.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #128 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 20:19:41 »
Maher shalal
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Re: Are topres worth it
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 21:56:07 »
Swift to the plunder, son.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Are topres worth it
« Reply #130 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 22:52:04 »
I'm going to post that whenever you wield your mod hammer, or feel you might need to. :P
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 23:50:14 »
I'm going to post that whenever you wield your mod hammer, or feel you might need to. :P

Looks like someone stealth-combined the threads while I was making this.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2013, 00:44:27 by hashbaz »

Offline iri

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 04:08:49 »
from many posts on this forum, topre looked like a woman to me. initial tactile bump, effortless travel, soft bottoming out.

reality was different.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline flacman

• I have oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 06:12:21 »
Played games with a RF104 variable for a whole week. Really awesome experience with the exception of 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' due to the 30g key weight. I might have a go again at gaming with a Topre board once I can afford a 45/55g board.

If you want to buy Topre, buy one. They have pretty good resale value since they're not exactly sold in every computer shop. Topres are totally worth it if you ending up using one as your daily driver.
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Realforce RGB | RAMA Kara

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 10:53:06 »
Played games with a RF104 variable for a whole week. Really awesome experience with the exception of 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa' due to the 30g key weight. I might have a go again at gaming with a Topre board once I can afford a 45/55g board.

If you want to buy Topre, buy one. They have pretty good resale value since they're not exactly sold in every computer shop. Topres are totally worth it if you ending up using one as your daily driver.
Thanks for the feedback,  I'm kind of leaning towards the 55g board.  I'm a little nervous since it would be the first TKL board i'd be using and I use my computer more for typing/e-mail than I do gaming.  I mostly only play WoW casually and Counter-Strike.  I do like blue switches as far as cherry mx switches go, but I do tend to bottom out frequently and I feel the  87u 55g might have a softer landing than the 104ub.  I don't necessarily do marathon typing sessions on my computer, but I can sometimes be on for 2-3 hours, do 55g switches tend to make fingers feel fatigued pretty quickly?  I'm sorry for all the questions, it's my first major keyboard purchase and I want to make sure I pick the one best suited for me.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 11:10:10 »
I went from blues to clears/55g topre for my daily drivers and I've experienced no real finger fatigue.  Keep in mind what everyone's been saying about resale value, too.  I bought a 45g a few months ago first and turned it for what I paid, no problem.

Offline TDub

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:33:16 »
I went from blues to clears/55g topre for my daily drivers and I've experienced no real finger fatigue.  Keep in mind what everyone's been saying about resale value, too.  I bought a 45g a few months ago first and turned it for what I paid, no problem.

Does that mean that the 55g topre is comparable in wieght to cherry clears? I am currently using lubed clears for typing (feel so great) and lubed vintage blacks for gaming. I tried all the lighter keys (blues, reds, browns, ergo clears) but I prefer keys that are heavier.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 16:53:41 »
maybe ergo clears (depending on the switch), I think stock clears actuate much higher than 55cN

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 18:40:20 »
After much deliberation, I went from being pretty much sold on the 55g this morning to purchasing the 104ub with variable force.  I was nervous about finding the 55g a little too heavy.  From reading lots and lots of old posts about topre boards, I saw a majority of the posters really liking the 45g force.  I figure if I don't like it I could always sell it and get the 55g or even a HHKB! Does the 45g still thock? I really like that noise :D

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 18:46:07 »
After much deliberation, I went from being pretty much sold on the 55g this morning to purchasing the 104ub with variable force.  I was nervous about finding the 55g a little too heavy.  From reading lots and lots of old posts about topre boards, I saw a majority of the posters really liking the 45g force.  I figure if I don't like it I could always sell it and get the 55g or even a HHKB! Does the 45g still thock? I really like that noise :D

You can thock the s**t out of 45g  :))

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 20:16:53 »
It doesn't quite thock as much as the 55g, but then again the HHKB has way more thock than the 55g RF anyways (due to case resonance and the lack of a plate).

You'll be happy with it, for sure.

Offline insilica

• Keyboard Geeza
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 03:51:42 »
I'm increasingly using my RF over filco brown. I don't know why. I remember at first I was .... meh but it has really grown on me.

Are topre keyboards worth it! Yes 100% just don't expect to love it within a day. I don't really fancy them for rpg/fps games... but maybe that's just because I have the variable.
FreeBSD :: Gentoo :: Arch :: [Project Roswell] :: U2410 Eyefinity :: WC P280 :: 3930K [C2] (4.5GHz)
ASUS Maximus IV :: 64GB Vengeance :: MSI 7970 xFire ::  Seasonic 1KW :: M4 256GB

REALFORCE 87U Silent (Variable) | Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja TKL (Brown) | FC660C

Offline iri

« Reply #142 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 04:46:38 »
i actually liked my realforce at the end of the day one. next day my fingers started to hurt while typing on it.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury