Author Topic: What cheap Cherry keyboards I should look for?  (Read 2900 times)

Offline cirE

What cheap Cherry keyboards I should look for?
« on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:25:43 »
I'm not looking to spend much money, but I want a beige set of Cherry keycaps to use on my Filco. What are some Cherry boards with MX-compatible keycaps I should look out for? I know anything with doubleshots will be expensive, but even the other kind (dyesub?) should be nicer than the stock Filco caps.
FKBN87MC/EB w/ FKBPRM/B

Offline calavera

Re: What cheap Cherry keyboards I should look for?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:32:22 »
price and rarity wise: dye sub > double shot > laser

Things you should know:
1.25 mods which is the bottom row and the size of the key caps. Cherry G80 or G81-3000 series keyboards (usually laser etched) is what you should look for. Winkeyless keyboards use 1.5 mods so that won't fit the bottom row of your board.

example of laser etched key caps that would fit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHERRY-G81-3000LPNUS-PS2-Keyboard-/230606230363?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item35b133d35b

Your filco also has a center stemmed capslock. Cherry key caps usually have off center stepped capslock like the above link so you'll either have to pay a premium to find some or try to source a moogle kit which is a kit with all the right mod sizes.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 March 2013, 16:35:15 by calavera »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 March 2013, 18:38:08 »
1800 and 1900 are most common to find for lower price. Like this one. Honestly though if you are going for black on white beige save yourself the hard times of completing vintage for Filco compatibility and just buy one from sherryton. I guarantee you it will be easier and probably even cheaper in the end.

If you are ok with lasered set, go for a G80-8113 or 8200 for the quickest cheapest solution. You always need G80 for 1.25 caps. G81 1.25 are totally incompatible with MX as they are off center for no reason. MX8000 series also all have fulltouch caps lock.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 19:49:51 »
1800 and 1900 are most common to find for lower price. Like this one. Honestly though if you are going for black on white beige save yourself the hard times of completing vintage for Filco compatibility and just buy one from sherryton. I guarantee you it will be easier and probably even cheaper in the end.

If you are ok with lasered set, go for a G80-8113 or 8200 for the quickest cheapest solution. You always need G80 for 1.25 caps. G81 1.25 are totally incompatible with MX as they are off center for no reason. MX8000 series also all have fulltouch caps lock.

I second the recommendation to just buy from Sherryton.  Looking at Ebay prices, most of these boards (old! with credit swipe readers!) are going for $75.00 and up.  For that you could buy a brand new set of doubleshots of your choice.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 19:50:56 »
Well... that is if you can manage to get an order in with sherryton. It sounds like they are having some problems.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 22:29:16 »
As someone who has just taken a bite out of Cherry, I can't thank you for enough for this information. I finally see what all the fuss is about and it's definitely warranted.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 22:31:18 »
You can get a center stem caps for that G81-3000 at techkeys!
Err... well maybe not the right color...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 22:37:09 »
You can get a center stem caps for that G81-3000 at techkeys!
Err... well maybe not the right color...

Was that key made by SP?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 22:40:34 »
yes.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 00:39:09 »
sherryton from keyboardstory? I don't see any full set though.

Or did I missed something? Does she has anothe site that sells full set?

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline calavera

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 02:34:57 »

Probably mean this:

http://www.originativeco.com/

Offline Hyde

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 00:44:15 »

Probably mean this:

http://www.originativeco.com/

Ohhhhhhhhh cool thanks dude !!!

:D

EDIT:  Oh god whyyyyyyyyyyyyy, it's so awesome at the same time my wallet will hate me.  And I just bought the imsto PBT replica lately but why am I so tempted to buy the original cherry double shot  >___<
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 March 2013, 00:55:18 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Rendom

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 07:00:31 »
Sherryton replies?
QFR - MX Blue

Offline Hyde

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 08:03:50 »
Lol not yet I guess. Though I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't because the online payment system is down so she probably has a million emails now.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 20:10:40 »
Anyone know how long has the site's credit card system been down?  I hope we don't have to wait too long till we can make a purchase  :(