Author Topic: Keyboard mapping software, what are you using if any and why.  (Read 3652 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Keyboard mapping software, what are you using if any and why.
« on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 13:32:22 »
Could you share your experience with keyboard mapping software? It would help others with this common mod. I have found some specific apps, mapkeyboard, shapkeys and keytweak. Of course there is the powerful Autohotkey that I have used for task automation, however I see it as too overdone for just keyboard mapping.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Keyboard mapping software, what are you using if any and why.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 13:33:38 »
Most Windows users here I think use AutoHotKey, though I don't remap myself.

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 13:41:34 »
I have started dabbling and I use Sharp Keys.  http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/

Looks like Autohotkey might be more complicated.  I'd be curious to know if anyone can compare the two myself.
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 13:45:10 »
I used to use Key Tweak, but now that I use Soarer's Converter (Teensy) system almost exclusively, I remap by programming the Teensy itself using wcass's method.

Auto Hot Key was way too complicated for me to figure out. All I wanted to do was a little lightweight swapping.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 15:46:40 »
HID Macros on MS Windows, Pystromo on GNU/Linux.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 20:18:10 »
I use SharpKeys to remap capslock <-> control, and AHK to map a bunch of Win+Alt shortcuts. That's about it.

Offline 1839cc

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 20:47:10 »
I use AHK. Seriously, it's not hard at all. Is there still a thread for scripts?
i have seen unix admins with john deere trucker hats, and even seen a man in a nascar shirt correct a passerby's klingon.

Offline Neal

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 21:54:41 »
AHK, by far the best.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:42:59 »
Running Win 7 and I've just started remapping keys. I like to do things thoroughly so I did some research into how to edit the registry to do so; luckily I stumbled upon a quick run-through of how to set up "automated" registry tweaks through notepad which has made things pretty simple.

Currently debating whether I should remap ctrl > esc > caps lock > ctrl, I already have ctrl <> caps remapped.
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:44:46 by Skull_Angel »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 March 2013, 17:47:46 »
Any Mac users remapping through software?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:46:47 »
I make custom keymap in MSKLC, then it is also portable file that can usually be used on any other windows machine even without admin rights. Some of the keys like modifiers and other 'special' key require manual edits in a text file to the layout outside of the gui before creating the file.
I use it for custom layout for alternate charachter since it is essentially impossible to use Alt codes on 60% and US Intl is a pain without Alt Gr.
A long time ago I had one that changed the layout to Russian from US when engage Caps Lock.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 10:54:15 »
There is an interesting article comparing some of SW for keyboard mapping:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/remap-keyboard-free-tools-windows/

I have not used any of them, but I am a Autohotkey user. My main concern is that the AHK script should be loaded and it stays in RAM to be available, meaning that it is not working during the OS start up, when should be required to enter some passwords, do you know how the SW mentioned in the article works different?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 11:13:54 »
If you create a keymap you can apply policy to allow alternate language slection at logon. I use that since my password is not in all Latin charachter.
I think the only other way is to apply registry change to keymap at system level not user level to be available pre logon

Offline mushupork

• I am not knowing
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 11:20:24 »
I think Sharp Keys is a Gui in front of registry edits so I assume that would mean the changes would only take effect after the OS loads. 
Wanted:  Windowed capslock for a QFR

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 11:29:19 »
Right it only applies it to the current user account HKCU, not system wide. But you could copy it to the corresponding HKLM key I suppose.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 11:30:17 »
The advantage could be that the registry keys are already in RAM so there is no need for other SW to be loaded in RAM like AHK. :)

I think Sharp Keys is a Gui in front of registry edits so I assume that would mean the changes would only take effect after the OS loads.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 11:31:11 »
Correct, registry edits or keymaps won't waste any system resource.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 11:36:40 »
Any Mac users remapping through software?

I'm using a combination of KeyRemap4MacBook (custom build) and Quicksilver to use an IBM AT Model F on PowerMac G5. I'm very pleased with my custom layout.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 15:29:44 »
I make custom keymap in MSKLC, then it is also portable file that can usually be used on any other windows machine even without admin rights. Some of the keys like modifiers and other 'special' key require manual edits in a text file to the layout outside of the gui before creating the file.
I use it for custom layout for alternate charachter since it is essentially impossible to use Alt codes on 60% and US Intl is a pain without Alt Gr.
A long time ago I had one that changed the layout to Russian from US when engage Caps Lock.

That's a neat program, why they "locked" remapping of modifiers and special keys is beyond me though; at least it's not hard to edit.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 15:47:34 »
This is very interesting, thank you for the heads up. I will give MSKLC a try.

That's a neat program, why they "locked" remapping of modifiers and special keys is beyond me though; at least it's not hard to edit.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 17:58:49 »
Yes I agree locking out change certain keys in the gui quite annoying, but I guess they do things like this to stop idiots from making things that are non functional. Though that kind of user idiot proofing is not really needed on such advanced tools really. Typical inexplicable Microsoft decisions.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 18:15:43 »
Yes I agree locking out change certain keys in the gui quite annoying, but I guess they do things like this to stop idiots from making things that are non functional. Though that kind of user idiot proofing is not really needed on such advanced tools really. Typical inexplicable Microsoft decisions.

I agree, most of the people looking for these type of tools have a good idea of what they're trying to do in most cases, but I guess "idiot proofing" has been made a standard in most everything these days because of american companies trying to avoid lawsuits  :rolleyes:

edit: (because a lot of people are underhanded enough to do stupid things, point fingers and start lawsuits)
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 March 2013, 18:18:34 by Skull_Angel »