Author Topic: Some LCD backlighting problems  (Read 1256 times)

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

Some LCD backlighting problems
« on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 19:16:05 »
Hi guys. I'm a bit of a noob with LCD monitors. I know they aren't really reliable with colours but I don't think the likelihood is high of running into dimmer top half on two monitors from different manufacturers, diffent retailers and purchase dates, (and one of them is matte while the other is glare). Or that they would deteriorate in synchro like that.

But my eyeline is where it should be and I still see #000020 as basically black on the top half of the monitor, while it's awful glaring blue on the left half, on both screens, to the point I don't actually know if it's too little light on the top half or too much on the bottom half.

Am I doing something wrong in terms of ergonomics or is the problem really so frequent with flat panels?

Is there some kind of driver hack to set brightness separately for top and bottom half each?

Tilting them differently helps little. I'd need to be like two inches in front of the screen and look from half a foot above to see the same colour equally.

Offline Turkishrambo

Re: Some LCD backlighting problems
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 March 2013, 19:41:23 »
Itd help to know the model of the monitors.

Also for uniformity its best to have 2 of the same monitor.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 14:56:57 »
LGW2361 and HPW2007, and yeah, I know. Got myself a larger one when needing a second for a specific job basically. I'm wondering if this isn't just some kind of effect when you're looking from the wrong distance or angle. My eye line tends to be like 2 inches above the top edge of the larger monitor and the distance is 2 feet in front of me (the larger one) and 1.5 feet (the smaller one on the side). Neither of them should be nearing on the typical hour limit when LCDs are expected to start acting up. So this is why I'm wondering if I shouldn't rearrange my workspace perhaps but nothing I do helps short of unnatural positions. Alternatively, is this sort of thing simply normal with LCD panels and I'm a slow-poke?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 March 2013, 15:01:21 »
Sounds like it is simply color shift from looking down on it. I would suggest to raise the displays or tilt them more.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 March 2013, 13:47:34 »
Thanks. And this is really gonna be a not very smart sounding question but which colour do I trust more? The brighter, #000020 or RGB 0,0,32 being only a little less blue than Facebook, or the darker where it's patently black?

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 03:18:09 »
Have you tried a hardware callibration tool? look up for profiles of people that already have done them if you're not willing to put the gold in something like this: http://www.amazon.com/X-Rite-i1Display-Calibrator-Laptop-Displays/dp/B000JLO31M

There is some diy mods that you could make to strip down the glare filter that maybe gets in the middle with some colors, but I don't recommend it as your screen gets very delicate in the process and you could of course loose your monitor.

Your problem is the reason why one ought to have the same monitor, at least in brand and type if not in size, for dual display setups.

Cheers.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others