Author Topic: Two boards in, it's time to register  (Read 1340 times)

Offline Null Hypothesis

Two boards in, it's time to register
« on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 18:38:38 »
Hello keyboard enthusiasts,

After buying my second mechanical keyboard I felt it was time to register. About 2 months ago I finally got fed up with typing on a series of remarkably terrible handed-down boards and decided it was time to buy something actually good. For me, this meant about two weeks of research, during which Geekhack was a valuable source of information, and then another week of flailing indecision. I ended up buying a Monoprice board with MX Blues because it was cheap, I wasn't sure if I would like Blues or Browns better, and nobody had really done a real review of it. I figured even if didn't like it at least I could get some good out of it by reviewing it. Mini-review: meh.

After deciding Blues are not for me I bought a semi-custom WASD with Browns, which I'm typing on right now. It is the best keyboard I have ever typed on, though with my history with keyboards that's not really saying much. Either way it's a great board and WASD is a great company to deal with, and I might be buying a fully-custom WASD board for work in the near future to replace that Monoprice POS.

At this point I feel like I need a board with Blacks and another with Reds just to round out the collection a little bit. That way I'll at least know which of the most readily-available Cherry switches I prefer and be able to help others find their switch. After that I will be irredeemably a keyboard nerd.

Which means, of course, that I belong here.

Offline Turbo Slaab

Re: Two boards in, it's time to register
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 18:43:04 »
Welcome to Geek Hack! Blues aren't for everyone, but I'm glad you didn't give up on the search. Browns are probably my favorite all around switch, with reds coming in a close second (I do a lot of gaming). Spend enough time here and you'll have them all! :))
Looking for CC's!

Offline eth0s

• Peace & Love
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 19:14:01 »
I usually only like to reply to the nubs when I get to be the first one to say hello!

But I like your plan so much that I want to say hello in second place!  So, Hello!

Yes, I love this plan:  Get 4 keyboards, one of each:  reds, blacks, browns and blues.  I simply love it.  This is the best plan.  Everybody should be on it.
I ♥ Click Clack.  I ♥♥♥ Bro Caps.

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 22 March 2013, 23:22:22 »
Sounds like you got a nice 2nd board! Browns are very nice.  I'd try Red next.  Blacks are the only of the main 4 I'm not a big fan of... just a bit too stiff after you type on reds to me.  But to each their own... especially if you game a lot. :)

Welcome to Geekhack!