Author Topic: Need Speaker Advice  (Read 1320 times)

Offline SmallTomato

Need Speaker Advice
« on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 21:14:54 »
I am currently using the Logitech X-540 5.1 Speakers and I think it is time I upgrade to something else. Looking to go for a higher quality 2.1 or the likes. Problem is I have no idea what I am doing  :) Any suggestions? Budget of $350. This would be used for my PC setup, gaming, music, movies, etc.

Offline bavman

Re: Need Speaker Advice
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 21:48:40 »
You can get some nice active bookshelf speakers for around $200, and a sub for $100. If you can find a used receiver or amplifier for around $50-100 you'll have more options since you can start using passive speakers.

Offline SmallTomato

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 23 March 2013, 22:03:10 »
Yeah, I am just not sure about brands... who is good who isn't (overpriced etc). Go for an upgradeable system or go with something like the Swan M10s.. I gots no idea  :(

Offline WRXChris

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 18:19:56 »
I haven't heard them myself, but I hear a lot of glowing reviews about the audioengine a5 speakers.  They're $400 so they might be a little out of your budget, and don't include a subwoofer, but you can audition them for 30 days and if you don't like them send them back for a full refund.  http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-A5plus

Offline SmallTomato

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 24 March 2013, 20:07:12 »
I haven't heard them myself, but I hear a lot of glowing reviews about the audioengine a5 speakers.  They're $400 so they might be a little out of your budget, and don't include a subwoofer, but you can audition them for 30 days and if you don't like them send them back for a full refund.  http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-A5plus
Yeah, I almost pulled the trigger on A5s today but I stopped myself. My main concern is... is it better to go with active speakers or passive with a receiver? Or does it not really matter at this lower price point? I was trying to decide now against the swan MKIII and the A5s... but I cannot find MKIII's anywhere anyways. I might just have to go for the A5s  :D