Author Topic: Guide to Installing Cherry Corp. Stabilizers  (Read 23752 times)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
Guide to Installing Cherry Corp. Stabilizers
« on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 20:19:01 »
Sup GeekHackers,

You know I be keepin it real and **** but installing Cherry Corp Stabs for my spacebar is driving me nuts. I can get it to where it looks installed but the spacebar doesnt compresses properly.  Most of the guides on this site that seem to mention this were made by a former user Ripster and his posts are deleted so they dont make sense.  I also have checked out WhiteFireDragon's YouTube channel and it is the ****. Super useful but it doesnt cover plate mounted cherry stabs (which i am particularly interested in learning how to install).

Is there a resource for non-costar stab installations?  WASD seems to have covered the costar installations pretty well but for the life of me I cannot find anything about Cherry Corp Stabs. 

I would also be interested in simple solder guides for the incoming GH60s.   WhiteFireDragon's guide on SMD Soldering made me quickly realize I dont want to do that. Holy crap dude, you got a steady hand with those tiny little bastards.

Thanks always. Keep it Wu-Tang and keep it clackin!
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 20:21:22 by tricheboars »
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
Re: Guide to Installing Cherry Corp. Stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:24:03 »
All I need is some guidance on replacing Cherry Corp Stabs for the spacebar. I have a Poker with plate mounted switches.  I have purchased both Cherry Corp and Costar Stabs for plate mounted keyboards. There has got to be some kind of secret or trick to get these stabs installed, and I am not seeing it. Both my fiance and I tried to get these installed for hours last night and this morning. I can assemble the bar and two stabs outside of the PCB/Plate but when i try to set them up on the board I cant get them to sit properly. 

I got the Cherry Corp Stabs from Mouser and the Costar Stabs from WASD. The Costar stabillizer clips are out for delivery today so I will have them when I get back from work.

I am starting to wonder if the only way to install the cherry corp stabs in a plate mount is to set them up before soldering any switches. If this is the case then...blurgh.

Has anyone ever swapped cherry stabs for costar stabs with good long term results?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:28:59 »
Wire goes under the plate on Cherry platemount. Generally you want to install the stab before the switches as it is nearly impossible to install them with switches in place.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:34:16 »
Wire goes under the plate on Cherry platemount. Generally you want to install the stab before the switches as it is nearly impossible to install them with switches in place.

what about costar stabs? same deal?

Have you ever successfully installed the stabs after the switches were soldered? 

Offline cyberwave

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:35:55 »
costar ones are easy to install since all parts involved are above the plate.

search for WFD's youtube video on how to install costar ones :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 12:43:01 »
I'm going to be swapping a Costar stab for a Cherry platemount stab soon. Opposite of what you're looking for... AFAIK, on the Poker plate (if it's The_Beast plate) needed to be sanded down to fit the stabs in. And does the bar need to run under the plate? I thought so, thanks lysol.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 13:03:08 »
I'm going to be swapping a Costar stab for a Cherry platemount stab soon. Opposite of what you're looking for... AFAIK, on the Poker plate (if it's The_Beast plate) needed to be sanded down to fit the stabs in. And does the bar need to run under the plate? I thought so, thanks lysol.

I've done this exact swap.  Ivan is correct, assembly order is critical.  I did not need to sand my Beast plate, however.

#1 Assemble stabilizer pair, including cross-wire.  Orientation of both plastic pieces is important.  Left and right are identical.  Make sure you snap the wire into place at both ends.  The crosses should fall in and out when you turn the assembly over.

#2 Install the stabilizer assembly, first the tails of the plastic parts, then pushing the wire through the slot, then clicking the snap-on tabs into place.  As before, the crosses should fall in and out when you turn the assembly over.

#3 Install the switch into the plate.

#4 Attach a spacebar, discover you've gotten one or both of the stabilizer mounts wrong and start over at step 1.  Repeat until it works normally.

#5 Complete keyboard assembly, including soldering.

I can confirm that it is possible to install from underneath.  I can also confirm that you would never want to do that without some overwhelming reason.

I cannot imagine how you could install the stabilizer with the switch soldered in place, especially with a PCB firmly attached under there.  If I had to do that, I would:

a) De-solder just that one switch.
b) Remove the switch from the top side of the plate.
c) Install the stabilzer assembly as shown above.
d) Install the switch.
e) Physically test everything very thoroughly.
f) Re-solder the switch.

And that would absolutely not be possible without the slot for the stab wire.

FYI, Mouser sells these for 2x switches, and they are identical except for the length of the wire.  Plan on getting some spares.  Thise tiny plastic tabs snap off very easily!

Good luck!

- Ron | samwisekoi

I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 13:30:13 »
wow. SAMWISEKOI thank you so much for this writeup.

I can confirm that it is possible to install from underneath.  I can also confirm that you would never want to do that without some overwhelming reason.

I cannot imagine how you could install the stabilizer with the switch soldered in place, especially with a PCB firmly attached under there.  If I had to do that, I would:

a) De-solder just that one switch.
b) Remove the switch from the top side of the plate.
c) Install the stabilzer assembly as shown above.
d) Install the switch.
e) Physically test everything very thoroughly.
f) Re-solder the switch.

And that would absolutely not be possible without the slot for the stab wire.

FYI, Mouser sells these for 2x switches, and they are identical except for the length of the wire.  Plan on getting some spares.  Thise tiny plastic tabs snap off very easily!

for me the switch isnt the problem as much as the PCB being firmly attached to the plate. i dont have enough space to assemble all of the stab parts together under the plate. in trying to image how this would be done i envisioned that someone would assemble the stabs on the plate before ever soldering 1 switch. 

so from these responses I am thinking i may just ditch the cherry corp stabs in favor of costar. hopefully the costar stabs fit my plate.  I wish i knew who made my plate. It is black and poker style. thats all i really know.

what advantage do you guys seeing cherry corp stabs have? to me at least, cherry corp stabs are undesirable simply because replacing one requires completely desoldering a plate mounted keyboard.

to me this experience has led me to believe that our stabs are the weakest link on our boards. cheap plastic is cheap. I would be more tempted to desolder the whole board if i could install metal (no plastic) stabs on the plate. 

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 13:37:37 »
What plate do you have? For costar stabilizers, you can install them from the top no problem. But for Cherry stabilizers, it must be done BEFORE all switches are soldered.

For the spacebar, it's possible to do it after the switches are soldered on the board, but you must desolder that one spacebar switch to put the whole pre-assembled stabilizers down there. There is a way to do it without desoldering the switch, but it's extremely difficult. I tried that once just to see if I can do it, and it took me around 30 minutes. You basically put the two large plastic base into the slot, then assembly the stem and wire from the bottom up simultaneously, and your workspace is only the tiny little crack between the PCB and the plate. The angle and orientation needs to be perfect to do this. But so save yourself the frustration, don't bother trying it this way. Just desolder the one switch and place the pre-assembled stabilizers down.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 13:46:59 »
Yes, installing the stab while the whole board is aleady aassembled is like expert level game of Operation. It is possible but it is very difficult. Though I think it will be easier on a 60% since there is free open on each side, no other things in the way. While you don't have to disassemble the entire thing, taking out the single switch will help a lot so you can get a hold of the wire more easily while assembling the stab from beneath. Putting them on first thing is of course the easiest but something you want to know before starting.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 13:49:16 »
I did it on my Phantom since I glued the stabs into the plate. It did indeed take me quite a while. I found it was easier to attach a 1x cap on top to control how far down the stem went into the stabilizer.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 14:22:42 »
for some reason knowing you guys have all been frustrated trying to do this makes me feel much better. I am still struggling to visualize yall's instructions.

There are three main parts to a Cherry Corp Stab.
1. Insert. This is your cherry cross piece that attaches to the keycap.
2  Clip. This is the plastic piece that houses the insert and snaps into place on the plate.
3. Stab Bar. This is the metal wire that attaches two stabs together.

My main problem is this. You guys have painted a picture where i would snap the clips into the plate (with bar connected to both) without the insterts attached? And then i am to push the inserts into the clips?  The inserts I have seem like they can only be installed if fed through the bottom side of the clips.  They have a plastic edge to prevent the inserts from coming out of the top of clip's housing.

I have at least 10 extra cherry corp stab clips and inserts, but i only have one stab wire. I do not mind experimenting. Hell that is why I am doing this. I want to experiment.

WFD i wish i knew what plate i have on my poker. However the stab holes look the same as the plates beast was selling a week or two ago. (i bought another plate with suits from him) I bought my custom poker from an awesome fellow GH mod on this site.  I would ask him where it came from but he seems insanely busy recently.  The plate is black, kind of matte looking, and seems to scratch easily. I am not sure if COSTAR stabs will fit into it, but I will find out for sure when I get home today (WASD delivery is imminent).  I am really hoping they do. 

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 March 2013, 14:24:54 by tricheboars »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 15:03:52 »
If it's a black plate, I'm almost certain it's a Vortex plate. Maybe you can take a pic of the stabilizer cutout on the plate. As far as I know, a stock Vortex plate does not support removable top switch housing, and will not support Costar stabilizers. They're only designed for cherry stabs.

If you're going to install it from the bottom up, there is no way you can have the wire already installed into the plastic base and still be able to put in the stems (what you call insert). The stems must go in first, then the wire goes into the stem and snaps on to the plastic base. Btw, how did you get a spacebar wire if you ordered from mouser? They only include the small wires, not a spacebar wire.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 15:22:56 »
Not wishing to derail the thread, but I'd like to inject a question specific to what stabs work with what plates:

Vortex (black) / iMav DYI = Costar Plate Mounted
Duck Plate (red) = ???
Beast (silver) = Costar Plate, Cherry PCB, Cherry Plate

Can anyone help fill in the blanks and/or correct me?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 16:54:13 »
Vortex (black) / iMav DYI = Costar Plate Mounted
Duck Plate (red) = ???
Beast (silver) = Costar Plate, Cherry PCB, Cherry Plate

I think you got that wrong. Pokers are not meant to support costar stabilizers, so there are no plates that will only support costar. Here's the correct stabilizer support for each plate:

Vortex - Cherry only
Duck plate - PCB-mounted Cherry only (no plate-mounted cherry or costar)
Beast's plate - all 3 types

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 17:41:09 »
If it's a black plate, I'm almost certain it's a Vortex plate. Maybe you can take a pic of the stabilizer cutout on the plate. As far as I know, a stock Vortex plate does not support removable top switch housing, and will not support Costar stabilizers. They're only designed for cherry stabs.

If you're going to install it from the bottom up, there is no way you can have the wire already installed into the plastic base and still be able to put in the stems (what you call insert). The stems must go in first, then the wire goes into the stem and snaps on to the plastic base. Btw, how did you get a spacebar wire if you ordered from mouser? They only include the small wires, not a spacebar wire.

I do see that COSTAR plates have a much more narrow plate hole. But many keyboards claim to be compatible with both costar and cherry plate mounted stabs.
the spacebar wire came with the keyboard, which i purchased from imav. so from what you gentlemen just told me about vortex plates i am SOL with costar stabs. But i am going to leave work now and check out what received from WASD today in hope that the costar stabs will fit my plate. i hope you mofos are wrong (seriously doubt you are wrong though...)

wish me luck and expect a glorious response or a sad panda to follow this in an hour or two.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 20:18:01 »
for some reason knowing you guys have all been frustrated trying to do this makes me feel much better. I am still struggling to visualize yall's instructions.

There are three main parts to a Cherry Corp Stab.
1. Insert. This is your cherry cross piece that attaches to the keycap.
2  Clip. This is the plastic piece that houses the insert and snaps into place on the plate.
3. Stab Bar. This is the metal wire that attaches two stabs together.

My main problem is this. You guys have painted a picture where i would snap the clips into the plate (with bar connected to both) without the insterts attached? And then i am to push the inserts into the clips?  The inserts I have seem like they can only be installed if fed through the bottom side of the clips.  They have a plastic edge to prevent the inserts from coming out of the top of clip's housing.

I have at least 10 extra cherry corp stab clips and inserts, but i only have one stab wire. I do not mind experimenting. Hell that is why I am doing this. I want to experiment.

WFD i wish i knew what plate i have on my poker. However the stab holes look the same as the plates beast was selling a week or two ago. (i bought another plate with suits from him) I bought my custom poker from an awesome fellow GH mod on this site.  I would ask him where it came from but he seems insanely busy recently.  The plate is black, kind of matte looking, and seems to scratch easily. I am not sure if COSTAR stabs will fit into it, but I will find out for sure when I get home today (WASD delivery is imminent).  I am really hoping they do.

No, the 'inserts' MUST be in place before installation.

(Even when doing the stupid-level assemble-in-place thing WFD could do in 30 minutes. Took me 90 and it won't ever happen again!)
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 21:34:00 »

I think you got that wrong. Pokers are not meant to support costar stabilizers, so there are no plates that will only support costar. Here's the correct stabilizer support for each plate:

Vortex - Cherry only
Duck plate - PCB-mounted Cherry only (no plate-mounted cherry or costar)
Beast's plate - all 3 types

Thank you for setting me straight. So the Vortex plate can take PCB or Plate mounted Cherry stabilizers?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 23:09:22 »
It only took me roughly five minutes to insert a Cherry plate mount stab without any desoldering or removing anything.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:58:40 »
It only took me roughly five minutes to insert a Cherry plate mount stab without any desoldering or removing anything.

Between a plate and a PCB?  Wowza!

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:00:59 »
ok. so here is the deal. I must have a Vortex Plate. Costar Stabs do not fit my plate. this makes me a sad panda.   :-[ :( :'( :'(

I will keep messing with the cherry corp stabs to see if i can install them without desoldering. I am still not sure about desoldering only the spacebar switch, i am just not sure how that would make my task any easier.  I DO see how desoldering the entire board would help as I can separate the plate from the PCB.  I have never desoldered anything before, and I do not own a solder sucker, but it is about time I got one.

Since The_Beasts new Poker plates are universal when it comes to stabs my thinking is this:  I would like to build a keyboard from scratch using cherry corp stabs, however if a year or two later i have stab trouble i would like to easily transition to costar so i do not have to resolder.  I am glad I got a plate from Beast with suits.  Is JD using Beast's plates on the GH60 group buy?

also at this point i have full on focused for about 150 minutes trying to get the cherry stabs installed on the plate with no success. so if you can do it in 30, 90, or 5 my hat is off to you.  :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:03:36 by tricheboars »

Offline gnubag

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 13:13:15 »
ok. so here is the deal. I must have a Vortex Plate. Costar Stabs do not fit my plate. this makes me a sad panda.   :-[ :( :'( :'(

I will keep messing with the cherry corp stabs to see if i can install them without desoldering. I am still not sure about desoldering only the spacebar switch, i am just not sure how that would make my task any easier.  I DO see how desoldering the entire board would help as I can separate the plate from the PCB.  I have never desoldered anything before, and I do not own a solder sucker, but it is about time I got one.

Since The_Beasts new Poker plates are universal when it comes to stabs my thinking is this:  I would like to build a keyboard from scratch using cherry corp stabs, however if a year or two later i have stab trouble i would like to easily transition to costar so i do not have to resolder.  I am glad I got a plate from Beast with suits.  Is JD using Beast's plates on the GH60 group buy?

also at this point i have full on focused for about 150 minutes trying to get the cherry stabs installed on the plate with no success. so if you can do it in 30, 90, or 5 my hat is off to you.  :p

if you want to change the cherry stabs from the beast plate you would have to desolder the swtich aswell. (except for the spacebar you can just slide out the wire between pcb and plate, but that doesn't work for the other stabs because other switches block the wire form coming out.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 13:16:17 by gnubag »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 13:36:26 »
Are you building up a DIY Poker, or do you already have an existing one that you're trying to add a plate to?

If it's DIY, then you could order a set of Cherry PCB stabilizers the The_Ed. That's what I did.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:26:04 »
Video or it didn't happen! You installed a cherry stabilizer for the spacebar in 5 min, while the PCB, plate, and switches were already together? The workspace is only a few millimeter crack. Either you have really tiny hands or mad dexterity. It's only possible to do this with the spacebar btw. It's impossible to do it for the other 4 smaller stabilizer unless you desolder those 4 switches.

I saw these sad pandas coming. I knew it wasn't going to fit because costar slots are thinner but longer, and vortex plate does not have that.
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 14:27:41 by WhiteFireDragon »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:57:11 »
Video or it didn't happen! You installed a cherry stabilizer for the spacebar in 5 min, while the PCB, plate, and switches were already together? The workspace is only a few millimeter crack. Either you have really tiny hands or mad dexterity. It's only possible to do this with the spacebar btw. It's impossible to do it for the other 4 smaller stabilizer unless you desolder those 4 switches.
I did just that. The space is tight, but it was easy to do. I have large hands, so maybe dexterity? :confused:

But I could tell that it would be nigh impossible to do it for any of the others. I think it would still be possible with the right tools to be honest, but probably more work than its worth.

But if you want a video, I can see about making one.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:28:12 »
I did just that. The space is tight, but it was easy to do. I have large hands, so maybe dexterity? :confused:

But I could tell that it would be nigh impossible to do it for any of the others. I think it would still be possible with the right tools to be honest, but probably more work than its worth.

But if you want a video, I can see about making one.

i would be interested in a video simply to see what technique you approached the cherry corp plate mounted stab install. like i said above i am at about ~150 minutes of attempting this with no success. so even if you uploaded a video with no success but enlightened me with your technique i would consider it a huge favor and be in your debt. 

for me the "more work" solution would encompass desoldering the entire board to fix one key's stabs (granted spacebar is a very important key).
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:30:05 by tricheboars »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:41:46 »
I will think about it... it took me more time than anything just to put the entire thing back together... :| (litster case)

Offline gnubag

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 17:30:47 »

for me the "more work" solution would encompass desoldering the entire board to fix one key's stabs (granted spacebar is a very important key).

with the vortex plate you should be able to insert the stab with only desoldering the spacebar. since you can put the stab together and then put everything in place together.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 18:59:32 »

with the vortex plate you should be able to insert the stab with only desoldering the spacebar. since you can put the stab together and then put everything in place together.

ok guys. GNUBUG and many of you have suggested this.  I would not mind doing this in the least, but I cant visualize how this could be done. If the clips/inserts must be installed from the top of the plate and the stab wire must lie under the plate how can one put the whole stab assembly ( 2 clips with inserts on the other side of the wire) together?  Do you mean i desolder the switch so i can slide the stab wire down through the top of the plate slot and then top down install the clips/inserts as i slide in the stab assembly? i guess it could be done like this, but i cant be sure. However, since many of you have suggested this it must work.

I am really struggling to articulate the visuals in my brain to typed word and visa versa.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:06:03 »
Okay, VEEDEEEO time. Forgive my tripod. I set my phone over the edge of my microwave and set a bottle of water on the edge of the phone to hold it... :|

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:25:03 »
Okay, VEEDEEEO time. Forgive my tripod. I set my phone over the edge of my microwave and set a bottle of water on the edge of the phone to hold it... :|

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...

that is the key. using the screwdriver to wedge a gap between the plate and the bottom of the clip to get the stab wire in.  Thank you so much for this.

Dude I freaking love you right now.  I am going to try this in just a few minutes.  If it works you can have one 'GodFather' favor from me. That is when you can call on me, even years from now, for a favor and I am obligated to do it. However, I will not mule drugs, run hookers, or murk yo wife. 

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:29:41 »
Can you get my wife to stop getting the runs, murking mules, and drugging hookers?

Offline gnubag

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:41:56 »
taking pictures
give me 5 min

(Picture) story time!

(i did not desolder the switch so i took pictures instead of a video)
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:45:28 by gnubag »

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:54:25 »
Can you get my wife to stop getting the runs, murking mules, and drugging hookers?

yes but in order to do this we will have to move her to other vices/passions. so i am going to need the following:

1 French Press Coffee Maker and Espresso Beans
4 Pounds of High Grade Marijuana
A life sized card board cut-out of Bob Dole and 13 "Vote Perot" Pins
Star Trek: The Next Generation Complete Series on DVD
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless on Vinyl and 1 Hi-Fi Record player

ok so here is the plan. We make some coffee. Sit her down and make her watch the entire star trek tng series muted while Loveless plays on repeat. You will stand behind the Bob Dole cut out yelling about how hookers and mules are your friends and they should be cherished. I wear all the ironic Ross Perot pins on my Vote for Bernie Sanders t-shirt and smoke all 4 pounds of marijuana.

i used this recipe 2 weeks ago. I have not killed a mule since. oh and for the runs problem just give her some Loperamide when she wakes up everyday until the 'chocolate thunder' syndrome passes.

Keep it Wu-Tang.

Also - This video should be easy to find for other Geek Hackers. what is the deal with the wiki? This should be added to some kind of resource page. Perhaps even in DIY.
Just saying if this method works it can save a lot of us a lot of time.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 19:58:26 »
Well, I suppose to know if it works, it needs some corroboration. Anyone else willing to say it worked for them?

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 20:24:46 »
Well, I suppose to know if it works, it needs some corroboration. Anyone else willing to say it worked for them?

ok i lied. i made all that **** up. nobody do this. you will probably go completely insane after your 4th listen of that album during the first season of st:tng.  that first season is rough.  but in all seriousness i do owe you a favor.

alright guys.

here is some useful info:
Cherry Clips and Inserts:  http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cherry-Electrical/0G990224/?qs=%2fha2pyFadui%2ff77L2%2f6q1E9TeTSTHkqalUnHyJbKl9I%3d

I do not have a source on the stab wires yet. I have a feeling that we may have to find a way to bend them manually and make them ourselves.  Perhaps JD has a bender. I cant remember.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 20:27:57 »
Bending wires is something that has been on the table for awhile. WFD said he could, but every time I've asked, I never get a response. MiMiC was possibly going to sell some on his site, so I've been waiting for that. Mine is from a MY board, which I received from sth (thanks a lot!). I had to modify it because of that bend in it. It was 90 degrees to the points inserted into the inserts, so I had to bend the inserts upward so that it was sticking out at more of an angle and not hitting the PCB.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 20:32:07 »
Bending wires is something that has been on the table for awhile. WFD said he could, but every time I've asked, I never get a response. MiMiC was possibly going to sell some on his site, so I've been waiting for that. Mine is from a MY board, which I received from sth (thanks a lot!). I had to modify it because of that bend in it. It was 90 degrees to the points inserted into the inserts, so I had to bend the inserts upward so that it was sticking out at more of an angle and not hitting the PCB.

we will figure it out. With the GH60's incoming and the assembly services promised along with the group buy someone is sourcing them somewhere. i just have to dig around on this site.

also. dude your video method worked. LOL. it didnt even take more than 2 minutes. I love how different people see things differently.

Thank you so much dude. This video needs to be added to the wiki. How do we go about doing that?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 21:34:29 »

[ youtube ]

OK, damn.  Once you see it...

Color me impressed!  Good job.  Time to delete the cut from the plates.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 23:22:08 »
I'm just glad I could be any sort of help for anyone here, especially after how much so many of you have helped me.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 04:15:31 »

*youtube snipped*

Hey great job. For me, I baby my keyboard too much to jab and pry at it with a screwdriver. But I like the way you man-handled it, that definitely works haha

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 17:21:57 »

*youtube snipped*

Hey great job. For me, I baby my keyboard too much to jab and pry at it with a screwdriver. But I like the way you man-handled it, that definitely works haha

honestly i probably abused my board trying to slide the clips in more than esoomenona's fix. and damn did that work perfectly.  of course i have a lot of extra clips so if i broke on i would have just got another.

guys i hate to bring this up once again but how do we get things added to the wiki? i think this should be on it.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 17:41:25 »
If you don't have an account, you have to ask for one.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 18:16:25 »
If you don't have an account, you have to ask for one.

And you have to ask me.

Want one, do you?

- Ron | samwisekoi

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 19:35:29 »
yes please.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 00:27:00 »
Bending wires is something that has been on the table for awhile. WFD said he could, but every time I've asked, I never get a response.

Hey esoomenona, I realized I missed this post for some reason. Yes, I bend wires, in fact I bent all of them for the phantom GB. This reminds me that I shipped out a whole set of stabilizers with the spacebar wire with your 3 TKL plates. You got the stabilzers and wires ok? Maybe I should PM you about this.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 00:37:30 »
Yes, I bend wires, in fact I bent all of them

lol. i like my edit.

regardless boom. source of wires is WFD. good to know.

@WhiteFireDragon is there a way we can buy stab wires from you? or could you tell us how you make them?

Offline guilleguillaume

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 10:07:55 »
This looks really useful. Thanks for the video and pictures!

Is it possible to remove PCB stabilizers without having to desolder anything?

I would like to remove the stabilizers from my Kmac Mini because they rattle too much and I don't really need them. I only need the one in the spacebar.

Could be possible but would require a lot of patience and work though. I will give a try and see what I can do.

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 11:29:32 »
i am not sure about PCB mounted stabilizers. i prefer the sturdiness a plate mount offers to much.  :p

it is surprising to me that the kmac mini is pcb mounted. here i was thinking that kustoms were always plate mounted, but then again they are kustoms so anything is possible. i will dig around and try to find you some resources to revive your kmac.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 06:44:16 »
regardless boom. source of wires is WFD. good to know.

@WhiteFireDragon is there a way we can buy stab wires from you? or could you tell us how you make them?

Send me a PM if you need a wire. I'll make a guide to making your own when I can free up some time. But just to give you a heads up, it'll require ~$35 investment in equipment before you make your first one.

Is it possible to remove PCB stabilizers without having to desolder anything?

I would like to remove the stabilizers from my Kmac Mini because they rattle too much and I don't really need them. I only need the one in the spacebar.

PCB-mounted stabilizers take 10 sec to remove if there are no plate. If there is a plate in the way, it's impossible without having to desolder every switch and remove the plate. That's because they need some room on top of them once you pop out the legs, and if there's a plate right on top, this is not possible unless the hole on the plate is large enough.