Author Topic: Greetings from ASETNIOP  (Read 4472 times)

Offline ASETNIOP

• ASETNIOP
Greetings from ASETNIOP
« on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 14:20:48 »
Hi everybody, I'm Zack Dennis, the designer of the ASETNIOP keyboard replacement system.  I'm interested in seeing whether my design can help folks who have issues using normal keyboards (carpal tunnel, Ehler-Danlos, etc.) and would love to hear from anyone who has thoughts on the subject.

Offline william

Re: Greetings from ASETNIOP
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 20:39:20 »
i sent you an email before about the possibility of making the system work with a gamepad, but you never replied to it....
but welcome to the community anyway.

i'm still interested in the idea of chorded typing on some sort of hand-held device.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 21:33:32 »
Hi everybody, I'm Zack Dennis, the designer of the ASETNIOP keyboard replacement system.  I'm interested in seeing whether my design can help folks who have issues using normal keyboards (carpal tunnel, Ehler-Danlos, etc.) and would love to hear from anyone who has thoughts on the subject.

Welcome! I am typing this on my hated 2D tablet keyboard instead of my beloved Model M, and am very interested in your approach.

Have you considered a physical 10-key design using (e.g.) the back side of a tablet for the fingers and the front for the thumbs? For that matter, have you considered ANY physical implementation?

I would be delighted to discuss any of the above further.

And again, WELCOME!

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline ASETNIOP

• ASETNIOP
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 08:35:09 »
i sent you an email before about the possibility of making the system work with a gamepad, but you never replied to it....
but welcome to the community anyway.

i'm still interested in the idea of chorded typing on some sort of hand-held device.

Hi William,
Please accept my sincere apology - I try to respond to everything, especially anytime someone expresses interest in using ASETNIOP with an alternative device.  I went on a pretty long break; maybe something ended up in my spam folder and cycled through before I was back...but I'm genuinely sorry for not getting back to you. 

Do you know if javascript receives events from game controllers?  If they come in as keyboard codes, you can head over to http://asetniop.com/keyboardDebug.html and just punch in the buttons you'd want to use as your keys - starting with the left pinky and moving right - and then send me the keycodes and I can update the JSON arrays so that you'd be able to start using a game controller to type in literally 5 minutes.  It might not be quite that simple...but I don't think it will be very hard, either. 

Anyhow, you can reach me directly at zack (at) asetniop.com - feel free to drop me a line!

Offline ASETNIOP

• ASETNIOP
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 08:42:28 »

Welcome! I am typing this on my hated 2D tablet keyboard instead of my beloved Model M, and am very interested in your approach.

Have you considered a physical 10-key design using (e.g.) the back side of a tablet for the fingers and the front for the thumbs? For that matter, have you considered ANY physical implementation?

I would be delighted to discuss any of the above further.

And again, WELCOME!

- Ron I samwisekoi

Hi Ron,
Thanks for the warm welcome!  I haven't tried the buttons-in-back approach (though I did encounter a patent for it when I was doing my IP research) but I have put together a couple of other physical implementations beyond the basic tablet and keyboard - I've got a set of keyboard gloves that I made (you can see them in action here - please do not mock me, I have zero electronics experience) and I used the Jazz plugin with a synthesizer that I borrowed to make it work with a piano - see the videos below.

Drop me a line at zack (at) asetniop.com and let me know if you've got additional ideas - I want to apply ASETNIOP to anything and everything that has or can have ten buttons.  I recently found out about MaKey MaKey and am pretty thrilled at all the different possibilities that are on hand with a setup like that...I can't wait to build a keyboard out of bananas.

The gloves:

The piano:

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 09:53:42 »
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the warm welcome!  I haven't tried the buttons-in-back approach (though I did encounter a patent for it when I was doing my IP research) but I have put together a couple of other physical implementations beyond the basic tablet and keyboard - I've got a set of keyboard gloves that I made (you can see them in action here - please do not mock me, I have zero electronics experience) and I used the Jazz plugin with a synthesizer that I borrowed to make it work with a piano - see the videos below.

Drop me a line at zack (at) asetniop.com and let me know if you've got additional ideas - I want to apply ASETNIOP to anything and everything that has or can have ten buttons.  I recently found out about MaKey MaKey and am pretty thrilled at all the different possibilities that are on hand with a setup like that...I can't wait to build a keyboard out of bananas.

And where patents roam, there are always patent trolls... <sigh>

Here is a mock-up of a case augmentation for a Nexus 7.  I've put a column of 4 keys on each back edge pointed away from the rear of the tablet and a pair of switches on the front so the thumbs can push them down.

17090-0
Example image.  Not to scale.

Can your code fit in a Teensy?

Best regards!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline william

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:07:52 »
Do you know if javascript receives events from game controllers?

it looks like the standards for this are still being worked on by W3C, but there are implementations in the nightly builds/betas of FireFox and Chrome.

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gamepad/raw-file/default/gamepad.html
https://wiki.mozilla.org/GamepadAPI
http://www.gamepadjs.com/

that last link is likely the most interesting. I haven't played with it yet, but i think i will at some point.

Offline ASETNIOP

• ASETNIOP
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 12:56:41 »

And where patents roam, there are always patent trolls... <sigh>

Here is a mock-up of a case augmentation for a Nexus 7.  I've put a column of 4 keys on each back edge pointed away from the rear of the tablet and a pair of switches on the front so the thumbs can push them down.

(Attachment Link)
Example image.  Not to scale.

Best regards!

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

That's gorgeous...based on what I see in the specs, I think it would fit fine in a Teensy.  The limiting factor would be the autocorrect/autofilly dictionaries - but they're not all that big either (~500k for a 20k English dictionary in the JSON format that I've put things into). 

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 20:25:18 »
Interesting videos! I'm not sure how practical that glove or the piano is though.

You don't see very many of these types of welcome threads  ^-^

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 20:27:06 »
Whoah that's really interesting, welcome!
I love Elzy

Offline ASETNIOP

• ASETNIOP
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 19:41:52 »
Interesting videos! I'm not sure how practical that glove or the piano is though.

You don't see very many of these types of welcome threads  ^-^

Thanks!  I like it here already :)

Yeah, this stuff is just conceptual demos to show the versatility of this kind of method.  If everything were integrated into something nice and sleek, the gloves would actually be pretty cool...or maybe someday we'll have chips implanted in our fingertips for that sort of thing.  The piano...well the piano is probably only useful for someone who's got a computer fully dedicated to music production - but could be handy for things like jotting down lyrics or naming files. 

Offline TristanTrim

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 25 July 2016, 17:13:06 »

Hey, I built a keyboard based on asetniop and teensy: https://github.com/TristanTrim/asetniop-keyboard

Btw, not sure you're policies here on necrobumping... hopefully it's ok.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 05:57:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Fantastic idea, and well-executed too :)

I'm not sure if this would fit best into ergonomics or making stuff together.

There's huge interest around here in making keyboard-related things (or other input devices), as you can see from the interest above, and not many people usually check the new members area :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ