Author Topic: IBM Model M praise  (Read 4305 times)

Offline morpheus

IBM Model M praise
« on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 21:03:56 »
Just cleaned my 1984 Model M now (30 years old now?) and it feels like a million bucks. I can easily see this lasting another 20 years.

-Built like a tank
-Pen/Pencil tray
-Buckling Spring
-Indestructible keycaps
-Ergonomic

Woohoo!  ;)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: IBM Model M praise
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 21:10:16 »
Next, think about moving to the big leagues with a Model F.

I'm just saying .....
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline morpheus

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 21:27:44 »
Next, think about moving to the big leagues with a Model F.

I'm just saying .....

Yes, I've seen the legendary Model F on here and on youtube. It's not as famous and widespread as the Model M, but that thing is on another level. If there was a Mechanical Keyboard heaven, it would be Saint Peter.

When I first saw it, I was shocked. I couldn't believe that something like that could even exist. The sound/tactility/keycaps were fierce. In fact, it scares me. The only thing I didn't like about it was the small backspace, which some people on GH have managed to modify, which is amazing per se.

My first real mechanical keyboard was a UNICOMP Spacesaver which broke in 3 months (quality isn't so good), but the Model M is the Real McCoy. As proof, I'm typing this on a 30 year old keyboard right now!! The best part is that I paid $30 for this thing and I don't think I will need another keyboard until Jesus comes back.

Offline Schattendolch

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 22:10:20 »
model F is the superior typing experience but too noisy and twangy
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 March 2014, 09:52:46 by Schattendolch »

Offline morpheus

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 00:01:46 »
Show Image

buckling spring master race

just did the lighter spacebar mod on my PC AT (reassembling that thing and having it function was a headache)

so I pretty much have two perfect condition buckling spring boards (the PC AT is 1984, the model M 1991)

i think the model f is the superior typing experience, but it's definitely pingier and noisier.

I love them so much <3

I think cherry mx is kind of useless, no cherry switch really hits the sweet spot for typing. I've tried all cherry switches besides black and green. (i've gotten rid of all my cherry boards)

Amazing board and setup friend!

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 02:53:59 »
Once you go F, you can't go back.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 08:11:58 »
When you take an M/F apart, you see that you can swap spring locations because the barrels are already there.

I have altered all my F-122s from ISO-style Enter and small Backspace to ANSI-standard keys.

One day I will do the same to my F AT.

If you are not a person who wants to take his board apart anyway (for cleaning, bolt-modding, whatever) then it is a moderately tricky half-hour project. If the board is apart for any reason, you should do it as a matter of course.

And yes, a floss mod will greatly improve the sound characteristic.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 08:12:32 »
Once you go F, you can't go back.

This is true.  Everything else just feels cheap in comparison.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline didjamatic

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 May 2013, 23:28:10 »
Foghat, is that Model F case the original color or was it painted?  EDIT: Never mind, saw on another thread it's dyed.  Nice work.

Anyone have a clean F 122 key they want to part with?
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:16:32 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 00:15:02 »
Have you guys ever tried leaving the black rubber sheet out of the model M before? I bolt modded and removed mine right after I got my SSK, so I'm not too familiar with what it feels like stock with the sheet. But I must say the SSK feels allllmost just as crispy as the model F when the rubber layer is removed. Just with stiffer springs.

Offline sonic_the_hedgehog

• That's a fast hedgehog...
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 03:20:55 »
Just cleaned my 1984 Model M now (30 years old now?) and it feels like a million bucks. I can easily see this lasting another 20 years.

-Built like a tank
-Pen/Pencil tray
-Buckling Spring
-Indestructible keycaps
-Ergonomic

Woohoo!  ;)

+1 this.

My Model M is pretty much my favourite keyboard ever. If it had a left Windows / function / some key where that 101-key gap is, and a calculator button like the new Ducky, I would throw out all my other keyboards and just roll with Model M's.

I've also got an M2, not quite as good IMO.

And I'm still very tempted to go and get a 104-key Model M from Unicomp as an everyday usage keyboard but that's on hold since I spent all my $ on the Ducky.

Much love going out to the Model M!!

(Would be keen to try out a Model F as well but I've never even so much as seen one...)
IBM Model M | Cherry G80-3000LXCEU-2 (Browns) | Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 (Reds) | Old School AT Mechs | Old School XT Mech | Old School Japanese XT Mech  (Details / Pics Coming Soon :D)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 06:19:34 »
(Would be keen to try out a Model F as well but I've never even so much as seen one...)

If you're in CONUS, AKIMbO is doing a Model F try tour. Try searching for "Model AT F Tour" for more details. I'm currently trying out an F for the first time an just bought an SSK as well. I'll be posting a review shortly on both F and SSK.

Offline sonic_the_hedgehog

• That's a fast hedgehog...
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 May 2013, 06:29:06 »

If you're in CONUS, AKIMbO is doing a Model F try tour. Try searching for "Model AT F Tour" for more details. I'm currently trying out an F for the first time an just bought an SSK as well. I'll be posting a review shortly on both F and SSK.

Sounds good but unfortunately I'm in Australia lol.

I'll stay tuned for the review though.
IBM Model M | Cherry G80-3000LXCEU-2 (Browns) | Cherry G80-3494LYCUS-2 (Reds) | Old School AT Mechs | Old School XT Mech | Old School Japanese XT Mech  (Details / Pics Coming Soon :D)