Author Topic: Keyboard response  (Read 15083 times)

Offline fr4nk1sh

Keyboard response
« on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 16:41:38 »
Hello, im wondering if its possible to change the keyboard repeat rate and repeat delay without having to activate Filter keys thru registry..

For example this is what im using atm..

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Control panel/Accessibility/Keyboard Response

AutoRepeatDelay 150
AutoRepeatRate 1
BounceTime 0
DelayBeforeAcceptance 0
Flags 59

BUT I don't want Filter keys to be activated so is there a way to get these settings and bypass Filter keys?!

Thanks a lot in advance :D
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 March 2013, 16:44:43 by fr4nk1sh »

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Keyboard response
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 17:22:04 »
1 is pretty quick, isn't it?!

There might be a third-party utility that could do it, but I doubt it would be as reliable. What's the problem with using FilterKeys in this way?

The Flags entry is detailed in the corresponding Win32 API structure - FILTERKEYS. Just mentioning it in case some of the options there might help you :)

Offline fr4nk1sh

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 17:59:57 »
Hello!

I'am noobish when it comes to registry tweaks and how to trackdown things in there, alittle more guidance if possible :)!

The reasoning behind these changes is for playing games.. im playing a 2d game witch you walk in squares and it feels alot smoother when u walk,  but starcraft 2 for some reason bug's out with Filter keys activated at such speed's..

So that's why I want to try this without having filter keys activated..

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 18:46:56 »
Ah, well, I don't think there's anything there that can give you what you want... not sure if anything can! The two games obviously need different settings. I'm struggling to see how such a fast autorepeat rate helps, but clearly the delay setting is lower than can be achieved via the normal (non-filterkeys) repeat/delay settings.

Maybe the best you can hope for is to find a utility that will let you change those settings easily (and without having to reboot?). Let me know if you find one!

Offline fr4nk1sh

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 19:08:21 »
I've been using keyboardKing, but it sometimes doesn't seem to apply the settings properly.. ;<

Thanks a lot for ur time :)!

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 20:41:59 »
Hmm, I don't think keyboardKing works in the same way... maybe there's something that will just set the filterkeys on/off and allow non-standard settings.

After changing it in the registry, do you need to reboot?

Offline fr4nk1sh

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 08:33:23 »
When changing the registry a log off is enough for changes to take affect.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 16:04:47 »
Ah, of course, since it's per user. So is your search for something else basically motivated by it being a hassle to change the settings?

I haven't tried this yet, but if the shortcut key was enabled, I'm wondering if it would trash the 'fast' values. You could try that by setting the Flags entry to 63 instead of 59.

Anyway, I couldn't find a utility that was able to set the 'fast' values, so I started writing one :D

I've found that it's optional to write the settings to the registry at all... there's a 'current' set, which presumably wouldn't be saved across a log-off-on. Might be useful when just running a game that works better with it on.

« Last Edit: Sun, 31 March 2013, 16:16:17 by Soarer »

Offline fr4nk1sh

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 16:49:22 »
Oh wow looks really cool! :D..

I'm not sure what im looking for really, just something simply and easy I can change quick without reboots/log'off's etc.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 March 2013, 16:50:55 by fr4nk1sh »

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 19:11:00 »