Author Topic: IBM model F vs SSK vs Unicomp  (Read 3439 times)

Offline khaangaaroo

IBM model F vs SSK vs Unicomp
« on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 18:07:18 »
I have a model F. It's the first and only buckling spring that I've tried. I kinda want the SSK form factor but I'm not sure if it's worth the money because I'll probably only use it once or twice a month for fun. So my question is does the SSK feel the same or very similar to the Model F?

I read somewhere here that Unicomp is looking to make a TKL by the end of the year. Do Unicomps feel the same as IBM BS? If a TKL Unicomp does comes out, do you guys think it'll be a better buy than a SSK?

Offline 1391406

Re: IBM model F vs SSK vs Unicomp
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 18:55:44 »
Model F's use capacitive Buckling Springs (as opposed to SSK's membrane variant) and do feel different in the sense that the key press doesn't require as much force and feels crisper than regular Buckling Springs.

In a blind taste test, I doubt you'd be able to tell between a Unicomp board and an IBM Model M.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 21:33:46 »
Capacitive BS feels nothing like BS over membrane. 

What 1391406 says about vintage M's and Unicomp boards is true...you won't be able to tell the difference.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 12:03:53 »
So you guys are saying capacitive is better. I guess I'll try a cheaper membrane BS to see how they feel before jumping on a more expensive SSK then.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 12:08:16 »
yah, they're right, F feels better

also, nnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( buy my board waaaaa

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline khaangaaroo

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 12:25:30 »
haha sorry mkawa. I was so close. The price was tempting.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 13:22:45 »
With the Model Fs, the jury is out on whether it is the switches themselves that make the feel so good, or whether it is the overall construction as a whole (I am inclined to believe the latter).

Also, no Model Fs come in a user-friendly, ANSI-standard layout, so be prepared to make some sort of sacrifice there.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline 1391406

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 15:35:21 »
There might be people who prefer the feel of Model M's over Model F's, but I don't know of any.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 18:32:58 »
everyone who's used a well functioning model F has been inducted into the cult. we protect our own.

that said, F's are a pain in other ways. they're all XT, you have to hack on them to get an ANSI layout, they're huge, heavy, etc... the closest you can get to an F in "more modern" form factors are Ms, and that's not going to change anytime soon (although wcass and the xtant crew are trying quite valiantly)

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline morpheus

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 19:30:38 »
Is it confirmed that Unicomp is coming out with a BS TKL?

That would be so sweet.