Author Topic: Ducky Pro Tenkeyless (cherry browns)  (Read 1181 times)

Offline Abacus1234

Ducky Pro Tenkeyless (cherry browns)
« on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 15:33:23 »
I just wanted to get on here and give some impressions of this keyboard.

I think I am another in the probably growing list that thinks Ducky may be ahead of Filco in quality, and certainly at least in value. First of all, this keyboard sounds pretty much just like a Filco, with the exception of the big keys, of course. This is a plate-mounted board, and everything is very tight and well fitted. The PBT keycaps have a really nice texture and fairly thick walls, which gives this an edge over the Filco in terms of typing feel, at least in my opinion. The keys also feel rather tight on the switches. They have very little "wiggle" at least compared to my Rapid. The only problem I have with build quality, which is otherwise excellent, is the spacebar is noticeably warped. It fits on the switches and functions perfectly, but when the plastic cooled the sides caved quite a bit, and it's very obvious if you look at it. I might try to get a replacement spacebar, which would look cool contrasted with the white keys. 

I have also heard that these can have problems with BIOS, since they use the N-key rollover hack, but in my testing this was not a problem.

I chose to get the engraved one over the blank one, but the engravings are so light that it may as well be a blank board. Fortunately I am a decent touch typist, so this hasn't actually affected me too much.

Long story short, I now consider this keyboard to be by a good margin the nicest that I have. I think this will be a go-to, and even if it didn't come with stock PBT, I'd still consider it to be a decent value at $127.

So you can see what I'm talking about, I will soon try to put up some pictures of the spacebar.

Offline kelske

• The North Borders
Re: Ducky Pro Tenkeyless (cherry browns)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 15:42:25 »
Second! I've only got a Ducky board (and 2 more on the way) - but from the handful I've played with these new Ducky models just scream quality and solid construction.

With your spacebar, It sounds to me like this a pretty common issue with all PBT spacebars. There's a bunch of methods around on here about how to fix them using a hair dryer to heat them up and form them back into a straight line  :p

HHKB Type-S 55g - FC660M - FC210TP