Author Topic: math keycaps?  (Read 3565 times)

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
math keycaps?
« on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 22:22:38 »
Hey GH! I'm a new member here, I'm a big nerd and i love math. I've been seeing the pi keycaps a lot lately, but i've never seen one with i, the imaginary number, and e, euler's number. a keycap would an integral sign or a contradiction sign would be awesome as well!

have such keycaps ever been made? if so, can anyone point me to such a thread? i'd be so down to get some keycaps similar to this.
Poker 2 reds, GH60 42g ergo clears

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: math keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 22:27:07 »
I'm going to help you out, findingthelimit. Here's what you do. Buy any keycap set, because they all have i and e!

I'm just messing with you, but really, they all do, so I don't imagine people have thought to make them like the pi caps.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 April 2013, 22:29:15 »
Also, if you want to make a mockup of the symbols you think would be neat, you could post them here and see if there is any other interest in them.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 01:16:17 »
When the PI keycap GB was going on, there was some interest in doing a lot of mathematical/scientific symbols and greek letters. There was some support, especially given how popular the PI keys proved to be. I'd pretty much buy any of the math/science ones.

Further suppgestions:
More constants! e, i, omega (expansion of the universe "cosmological costant"), gamma, even tau (though I have always preferred pi to tau).
Symbols: Sigma summations, Capital PI, surface integrals, gradient and "curl" symbols, etc (so you can spell out maxwell's equations across the F# row!)
Anything else?

Alas, none of these ideas has yet gained enough momentum to make it to a GB.

Ideally, they'd be dyesublimated black onto white, but I'd put up with doubleshot if I had to.

Now I'm no good with vector renderings, but wouldn't it be easy to get most of that from a math font or math layout program (what can you get LaTeX to output?) or even the libreoffice math editor.

And, as esoomenona says, it's a good idea to make pictures and post them to the topic for them.

I hope to see GB's for these soon :p

Offline findingthelimit

• Rawr
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 15:13:07 »
When the PI keycap GB was going on, there was some interest in doing a lot of mathematical/scientific symbols and greek letters. There was some support, especially given how popular the PI keys proved to be. I'd pretty much buy any of the math/science ones.

Further suppgestions:
More constants! e, i, omega (expansion of the universe "cosmological costant"), gamma, even tau (though I have always preferred pi to tau).
Symbols: Sigma summations, Capital PI, surface integrals, gradient and "curl" symbols, etc (so you can spell out maxwell's equations across the F# row!)
Anything else?

Alas, none of these ideas has yet gained enough momentum to make it to a GB.

Ideally, they'd be dyesublimated black onto white, but I'd put up with doubleshot if I had to.

Now I'm no good with vector renderings, but wouldn't it be easy to get most of that from a math font or math layout program (what can you get LaTeX to output?) or even the libreoffice math editor.

And, as esoomenona says, it's a good idea to make pictures and post them to the topic for them.

I hope to see GB's for these soon :p

yeah, one could just type it out in latex and see whether it looks neat.

actually, aside from e and i, the stuff you mentioned like tau, omega, and gamma are just greek letters. its almost like we're suggesting a keyboard with greek letters!

anyway, i'm new to mechanical keyboards so i don't know what dyesublimated and doubleshot means. can you enlighten me, or link me to a guide? thanks :p
Poker 2 reds, GH60 42g ergo clears

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 15:24:42 »
I would buy a keyset with Greek letters.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 15:27:05 »
anyway, i'm new to mechanical keyboards so i don't know what dyesublimated and doubleshot means. can you enlighten me, or link me to a guide? thanks :p
Dye sublimation is a way of "painting" the legend into the surface of the cap. It is generally done on PBT material caps, because it can handle the heat needed during the process. It can generally only done with a dark legend on a light surface, such as black on white.

Doubleshot is a process where two shots of plastic, one of the legend, the second being the rest of the cap, are combined to make the cap. These were generally made of ABS, though doubleshooting of PBT has started to come around.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 17:59:25 »
This thread reminds me that I'm looking for some specific Cherry (?) keycaps.  I've seen pictures of the number pad that show the top row as | Num Lock | ÷ | x | - |.

Anyone know which keyboards used that symbology?  Are these actually OEM Cherry symbols, in double-shots or pad-printed, or some custom set for a house-branded keyboard (like Scitex)?

Hope this isn't thread-crapping, and apologies if it's too off-topic!

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 April 2013, 18:48:45 »
This thread reminds me that I'm looking for some specific Cherry (?) keycaps.  I've seen pictures of the number pad that show the top row as | Num Lock | ÷ | x | - |.

Anyone know which keyboards used that symbology?  Are these actually OEM Cherry symbols, in double-shots or pad-printed, or some custom set for a house-branded keyboard (like Scitex)?

Hope this isn't thread-crapping, and apologies if it's too off-topic!

Never mind, I answered my own question.  Looks like these are German legends for the number pad, found them in pics of a G80-1501HAF with a lovely DS Wyse color scheme.   ;)