Author Topic: Want to get into SC2, Keyboard suggestions?  (Read 7846 times)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Re: Want to get into SC2, Keyboard suggestions?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:34:08 »
How are you going to F10+N if you dont have Fkeys...
SmallFry! <3

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:36:43 »
How are you going to F10+N if you dont have Fkeys...
Options -> Hotkeys -> Global -> Menu -> Change "Main Menu" to something other than F10

I wouldn't agree about the switches, as blacks are very tiring. Also, depending on how high level you are, you may need the F1 or F2 keys for idle workers and your army, usually for lower league players. Numpad is only really used for spectating in games.
With the exception of certain behaviors of shift and control, you can change anything you want to with the hotkeys (ignoring arcade games). That's why I recommend just getting a smaller keyboard so that the mouse arm can be in a comfortable position. That's all that really matters imo.

A lot of really good pros use blacks. It may be "better" to have lighter switches, but it is mostly a personal preference thing.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 May 2013, 19:38:59 by Jagriff »

Offline Creizai

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 11 May 2013, 21:33:42 »
Typically people use the function row for camera locations.  F1-5 represent your first through fifth bases.  Once you start using camera locations you will wonder how anyone could play SC without them, they are that useful.  Unless you go with some crazy hotkey scheme like Grid or Chameleon etc etc, function rows are very convenient.  If you decide to not use the row and get a 60% realize that to properly optimize you're going to be using alot of redefined SHIFT+ commands to use camera locations.  It can be done, and looks potentially more "efficient" but I kinda like having the muscle memory include dancing around the F keys as it keeps my keyboard hand nimble somewhat.

EDIT: also, any switch can be used for RTS, but most popular among most pro players is the brown switch as you get the tactile feedback for the activation and are less likely to bottom-out and cause fatigue.  But if you play FPSs and other games, reds can be very nice as well.  I'd strongly suggest not using heavier stroke caps such as the black honestly, but that's a personal preference.  I just like to be relaxed.

Could you go more in depth about using SHIFT+, I started a SC2 thread for my HHKB on grid CTRL+FN+1 is pretty difficult, by the end of the game I don't even use them.  So I'm looking for alternatives

Offline Jagriff

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 12 May 2013, 00:19:10 »
Typically people use the function row for camera locations.  F1-5 represent your first through fifth bases.  Once you start using camera locations you will wonder how anyone could play SC without them, they are that useful.  Unless you go with some crazy hotkey scheme like Grid or Chameleon etc etc, function rows are very convenient.  If you decide to not use the row and get a 60% realize that to properly optimize you're going to be using alot of redefined SHIFT+ commands to use camera locations.  It can be done, and looks potentially more "efficient" but I kinda like having the muscle memory include dancing around the F keys as it keeps my keyboard hand nimble somewhat.

EDIT: also, any switch can be used for RTS, but most popular among most pro players is the brown switch as you get the tactile feedback for the activation and are less likely to bottom-out and cause fatigue.  But if you play FPSs and other games, reds can be very nice as well.  I'd strongly suggest not using heavier stroke caps such as the black honestly, but that's a personal preference.  I just like to be relaxed.

Could you go more in depth about using SHIFT+, I started a SC2 thread for my HHKB on grid CTRL+FN+1 is pretty difficult, by the end of the game I don't even use them.  So I'm looking for alternatives
Change your hotkeys so that you set them with a combination (say, ALT+key) and then go to them with SHIFT+key. This is how it is done with a lot of "efficient hotkey setups" like theCore because it promotes less finger/hand movement.