Author Topic: Defiance  (Read 937 times)

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
Defiance
« on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 18:36:52 »
Anyone playing/watching it?  I'm thinking about picking it up

Offline Emmiya

Re: Defiance
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 19:41:24 »
Heard nothing but good things about it myself. Apparently it's a solid game which is great fun with friends.

If you can get past the installer on the pc version that is.(spent the past 4 days re-downloading it over and over due to stupid errors that shouldn't exist, but do.)
Capped speeds at 200kb/s(10Gb file) and the downloader didn't/doesn't pick up where it left off, if you interrupt it.

About 7 minutes left and i'm not willing to risk pausing it to find out. But i'll post here in about an hour to let you know my first impressions of it.

Edit: K so i've just played it for a while and like I said, here's my first impressions

To start, the cinematic's are terrible. Like god awful. Voice doesn't even synch up with the animations quite a lot, and the dialogue/story line is weak and predictable.

Following that, you get to "create your character". I put that in quotation marks as the only creation you can alter is Race, Class, skin colour and facial structure. It might as well just give you a pre-defined character to play. Okay scratch that, i'm an idiot, couldn't see the menu buttons at the top.

You're then in for some more super dramatic cinematics followed by your first chance to play the game. Without spoiling it, i'll just say that the tutorial is as you would expect; "run here, kill that. Holy crap you're a hero!"
Upon completion of that you're set into the real world with a quest to complete.

Immediately I notice one feature that this game is missing[unless i'm blind and can't seem to find it] that is game-breaking in my personal opinion. There's no "swap shoulder" feature; and for a TPS it is imho a necessity. So to be stuck looking over the characters right shoulder permanently is a bit of a joke, but oh well.

I understand i'm not even an hour into it, but hey, that's why they call them "first impressions".
So far i'm rather underwhelmed considering it cost £54. I've literally played F2P games that are better. I'm just hoping it picks up a bit later on with friends.

Edit2: K, so I gave it a bit longer, and it was actually kind of fun for a mess about on. Not anywhere close to the game's price tag though.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 April 2013, 22:34:09 by Emmiya »

Offline PointyFox

Re: Defiance
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 07 April 2013, 20:19:36 »
I recommend watching the movie.  I haven't heard about a game called that.