Author Topic: Weird Caps Lock question  (Read 1322 times)

Offline nsrexler

Weird Caps Lock question
« on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 21:40:57 »
This is kind of a weird question, but I figure somebody here probably knows the answer.
I have a keyboard on which the Caps/Scroll/Num Lock LEDs are located on the keys themselves, but I kind of prefer to have the LEDs located separately. Then I got to thinking - wouldn't it be possible to create a USB device that identifies itself as a keyboard but only has the Lock LEDs on it? Does anyone sell something like this? It would be neat to be able to take the lights and mount them wherever I want, regardless of my keyboard.

Offline khaangaaroo

Re: Weird Caps Lock question
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 22:58:24 »
That would be neat. The closest thing I can think of are Logitech receivers that had LED indicators on them.
Dunno if they would work without the Logitech keyboard. It'd be interesting to see someone execute it cleanly.

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 08:34:56 »
The form factor of that receiver is pretty much exactly what I had in mind, minus the radio of course. It's strange that nobody makes a device like this, it seems like it would be relatively simple to make.

Offline Jamesbeat

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:59:35 »
Get a cheap keyboard, rip the controller out of it (the led's are attached to the controller board) and mount it in a project box.

On second thoughts, I don't know if they would light up when the lock buttons were pressed on a second keyboard. Try plugging two keyboards into you computer and test it before following the above advice!
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:01:07 by Jamesbeat »

Offline Luke

• My Technology Blog
Weird Caps Lock question
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:05:06 »
Get a cheap keyboard, rip the controller out of it (the led's are attached to the controller board) and mount it in a project box.

On second thoughts, I don't know if they would light up when the lock buttons were pressed on a second keyboard. Try plugging two keyboards into you computer and test it before following the above advice!

I have plugged two keyboards in before and I can confirm it works :)

Offline nsrexler

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:18:02 »

That's not a bad idea. Any suggestions on dirt-cheap keyboards that are easy to take apart, and boxes that can house this thing nicely?

Offline Jamesbeat

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 13:29:50 »
I'd say just go to Walmart or a thrift store and buy the cheapest one you see.
As for project boxes, I don't know. Maybe Radio Shack or ebay?
I'd fill the bottom of the project box with pennies and hot glue to give it some weight, and put some rubber feet on the bottom too.

Offline Jamesbeat

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:09:23 »
Incidentally, I should probably have added that a more modern keyboard is likely to have a smaller controller board inside.
I had a Logitech rubber dome that had a controller board no bigger than 1" x 2", so it would make a nice compact unit if used for your application.
Older keyboards often have quite large controller boards, so try to get a newer one if you can.

Offline Mikelittoris

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:36:07 »
That would be neat. The closest thing I can think of are Logitech receivers that had LED indicators on them.
Dunno if they would work without the Logitech keyboard. It'd be interesting to see someone execute it cleanly.

Show Image

I've got one of those connected to my computer right now, It does show the status of Caps and Numlock, but it lacks the Scrollock. I tested this with my IBM SSK with PS/2 connector, the logitech keyboard was not connected/without batteries so it does indeed work without the logitech board.
IBM Model M SSK -91 (Bolt moded), Geekhack ESC, RGB modifiers and lt blue WASD cluster.
IBM Model M -95
IBM Model N2 -94
IBM Model F -85 (122-key Terminal) Using a Teensy with Soarer\'s adapter code.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 16:45:30 »
you could probably source one from an e-cycler or a thrift store for a dollar or so.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace