Author Topic: Small Keyboard for work  (Read 2039 times)

Offline Surnia

Small Keyboard for work
« on: Mon, 08 April 2013, 22:45:04 »
I've been in the process of trying to find a keyboard for work, as we use el-cheapo rubber domes (oddly enough, they at least use lasered legends... the keys are shining from massive abuse, but the legends are still sharp and visible) and the consistency of them at my terminal is starting to get on my nerves. It causes a LOT of typographical errors when switching between work and my Filco at home, due to the keypress consistency being horrible. I'm in need of a smaller layout keyboard, mainly so that its less noticeable.

A lot of my work involves the use of the Fn layer, the arrow keys, and the keypad which unfortunately contradict the usage of a small keyboard. However, some of the 75% designs give the best of both worlds; the Keycool 84 and Noppoo Choc Mini have the numpad hidden under Numlock. Unfortunately the accessibility of these models are a bit... sparse at the moment, especially the non-backlit PBT/POM models. Are there any other keyboards that have similar layouts/capacities?

As far as I'm aware, my options that maintain the keypad layout, arrows, and function layer are:
- full 104/105 layouts
- Keycool 84/Noppoo Choc Mini
- Neo Zelia

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline omgFiRE

Re: Small Keyboard for work
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 03:37:36 »
However, some of the 75% designs give the best of both worlds; the Keycool 84 and Noppoo Choc Mini have the numpad hidden under Numlock.

Have you tried hidden numpad and do you like it? I liked idea, but due to skewed rows it is worse for me than even numline.

Truly Ergonomic
Matias Mini Quiet Pro
DK1087XM
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 05:09:04 by omgFiRE »
White Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless FKBN87M/EFW2 (Cherry MX Brown), CM Storm QuickFire Rapid SGK-4000-GKCL1-US (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline Surnia

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:00:56 »
I have tried it on my own board, randomly punching in numbers with the joys of autohotkey and it seems to be working out fine for me. Just need a bit of a wrist rest to put my hands high enough to jump over the spacebar and it feels identical to me (I use the numpad at a slight angle apparently, so it works out the same).

Thanks for the other models!
Truly Ergo's a bit big with the wrist rest (not bad without), the Matias looks good (although that large bar at the top...), but the ducky looks like it fits in with the design as well. I don't see the regular 1087 anymore though, and its a shame it didn't carry over to the 9087...

Can't use clicky switches unfortunately, open office environment and I need to keep it subdued. Thankfully my favoured switch is the MX black.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 09:02:29 »
I use blues fine in an open office environment. Is your office library quiet? Mine sure isn't

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 10:29:37 »
There are also some keyboards that have a dedicated keypad and arrow keys but are smaller than a full-size, like a Jaki JD002, Tt Meka, or Cherry G80-1865-- these will still be a lot bigger than a 75%, but the tradeoff is that you get a real number pad.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline behappy

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 10:30:56 »
HHKB for life! Once you learn the layout, you'll never go back!  ;D
Noppoo Choc Mini (Cherry MX Reds)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 10:51:17 »
i second a Cherry g80 for your needs. also if noise is an issue install o-rings. almost all mech keyboard noise is from bottoming out.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline gigibecali

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:15:47 »
i second a Cherry g80 for your needs. also if noise is an issue install o-rings. almost all mech keyboard noise is from bottoming out.

Once you install o-rings, most of the noise is from the switch release (mobile part hits the housing top). And it's pretty significant.
You cannot escape that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:21:59 by gigibecali »
IBM M - UK  |  QFR reds  |  QFR blacks  |  HPE 87 browns  |  HPE 87 blues

Offline Surnia

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:17:16 »
I use blues fine in an open office environment. Is your office library quiet? Mine sure isn't
not the quietest, but my co-worker to my immediate left is a bit sensitive to noise. Also if its non-standard sounds people tend to be curious and peek at what's going on (when the shredder's shredding cards, people think i'm typing like a madman and look).

There are also some keyboards that have a dedicated keypad and arrow keys but are smaller than a full-size, like a Jaki JD002, Tt Meka, or Cherry G80-1865-- these will still be a lot bigger than a 75%, but the tradeoff is that you get a real number pad.

Agreed on that, the Tt Meka 2.0 is on the list as well but I have found no information whatsoever about it. The Tt website doesn't inspire much about quality either, the... engrish descriptions on products don't help. They might be great in other areas of computer parts, but I worry of something like what we see on Corsairs and Razers (low quality/higher failure rates). Nice thing is that its probably one of the cheapest options out there, and uses MX Blacks.

G80 has an interesting layout, will have to look into that one...

Don't like the dampers, make the keys feel weird to me. Had them for a while on a Das with browns, and took them off. I don't bottom out very often with the blacks, so my general usage is already quiet on those!

Offline Jamesbeat

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 11:36:33 »
Would a separate numpad work for you?
It wouldn't be any good if you use the numpad a lot, but if it's something you use heavily for short periods, it may be a good idea; just push it out of the way when you're not using it.
My job is like that. I don't use the numpad until the end of a project, so 95% of the time it's just in the way.
When I'm actually using it however, I use it heavily. I did contemplate buying a tenkeyless and a separate numpad for just this reason, as a lot of the time I'm using the keyboard and mouse simultaneously.
I decided not to bother in the end, but it may work for you.

Offline schizrade

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 12:43:21 »
I am using this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Compaq-MX-11800-PS-2-Trackball-Keyboard-Mini-185152-406-/121092285268?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item1c31a9a354

MX browns and full keyboard functionality in a small footprint. This is the best keyboard I have ever owned.

Offline Surnia

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 15:26:33 »
Would a separate numpad work for you?
It wouldn't be any good if you use the numpad a lot, but if it's something you use heavily for short periods, it may be a good idea; just push it out of the way when you're not using it.
My job is like that. I don't use the numpad until the end of a project, so 95% of the time it's just in the way.
When I'm actually using it however, I use it heavily. I did contemplate buying a tenkeyless and a separate numpad for just this reason, as a lot of the time I'm using the keyboard and mouse simultaneously.
I decided not to bother in the end, but it may work for you.

Yes that is definitely an option/avenue I'm looking at. The Leopold FC210TP looks absolutely gorgeous (not out yet..), and the availability of the Keycool 22 are definitely easier to access. Unfortunately my workflow has strings of numbers in-between a lot of text. Would also allow me to get it now, running with something like a QFR and ordering in a keypad..

The appeal for me of having the numpad built into the standard layout is that I don't have to move my hand to access it. less things to carry too..

Offline babyhands

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 09 April 2013, 23:25:39 »
How against a TKL board with an extra num pad are you? because that seems the way to go. Although I am sure this will cost quite a bit extra, and I know you want a small keyboard so maybe that defeats the purpose? You could just get used to the top row numbers although that probably is kinda a pain!