Author Topic: Nopoo Choc mini or Keycool 84?  (Read 2535 times)

Offline Chase5delta

• Keyboardoholic
Nopoo Choc mini or Keycool 84?
« on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 11:43:27 »
Which one would you guys recommend? Looking to get a keyboard to play world of Warcraft with and these would both be great since the F keys are right above the numbers.
Filco MJ2 TKL (Mx Blues) Keycool 84 (Mx Reds)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
Re: Nopoo Choc mini or Keycool 84?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 12:42:20 »
Which one would you guys recommend? Looking to get a keyboard to play world of Warcraft with and these would both be great since the F keys are right above the numbers.

I have the Noppoo Choc Mini, and I like it quite a bit.  However, I bought it without much (any) experience with mechanical keyboards, and found that I don't really like MX Brown switches.  I find that I like my CM Storm Trigger (full-size 108-key (5 macro keys)) with MX Greens a lot better for gaming.  At work I'm currently using a keyboard with MX White switches, I like the heavy tactile bump.  On the lookout at the moment for a MX Black keyboard, to try out the linear line.

One downside I've read about the Noppoo is the non-standard space bar and modifiers (not sure I got that right...) which makes it difficult to find replacement key caps.  Have you already ruled out the CM Stealth that's due to hit Amazon this month?  Or one of the Ducky boards?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 13:32:06 »
Choc is not hard to find other keycap if you like Cherry except for the spacebar but it comes with nice PBT or POM as stock anyway. If you want something that is more accomodating to other types of aftermarket keycap then the Keycool84 is a lot more forgiving. Also if backlight is of any interest the Keycool has an edge there. Choc backlit version seemed pretty meh. Seems much less selection for led color and if I remember the choc backlight caps were reported to be quite bad.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 April 2013, 13:34:09 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 13:46:40 »
I have early versions of both. They're pretty much identical but if you plan on using anything other than a Windows machine, get the Keycool.
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 14:39:50 »
I have early versions of both. They're pretty much identical but if you plan on using anything other than a Windows machine, get the Keycool.

Choc mini works perfectly w/ GNU/Linux, but I guess you meant OS X.

Offline ksm123

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 15:11:06 »
Yes it works with GNU/Linux, but I could not make it work with Oracle Solaris 11.1 on x86 platform.

Offline polpo

• http://polpo.org/
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 16:22:59 »
Choc mini works perfectly w/ GNU/Linux, but I guess you meant OS X.

Maybe they've fixed it in new versions of the Choc Mini, but things like the Caps Lock/Scroll Lock lights didn't work properly in Linux, and I sometimes got double keystrokes. The last time I used it on an older CentOS machine was really bad with the double keystrokes.
Matias Mini Quiet Pro / DSI SMK-88 (Cherry Black) / IBM Model M (10 Jul 86) / ThinkPad Travel Keyboard with Ultranav

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 21:23:02 »
I had issues with double keystrokes at some point, but it was actually my typing technique what caused them. Anyway, you can adjust repeat rate using fn+F10/F11 IIRC.

LEDs work fine for me... unfortunately, they're too bright on the choc mini. I've had to "fix" them with black marker. The only problem I noticed was non-working numpad layer when connected through USB, but it's OK now.

Offline dmreeves

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 02:33:28 »
What purpose do the F keys serve in WoW? Can't you just get another board and rebind the keys you use a lot?

Offline Surnia

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 08:53:47 »
Are the Legends on the Keycool PBT variants Lasered or printed? I can't seem to find a definitive answer (appears they were printed on the ABS versions), because the Keycool legends are MUCH darker than the Noppoo ones.

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 18:54:36 »
MechanicalKeyboards.com just got their KeyCool stock in today wtih a whole bunch of 84 key keyboards. Ordered one for my wife :)

[)amien

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 19:08:23 »
MechanicalKeyboards.com just got their KeyCool stock in today wtih a whole bunch of 84 key keyboards. Ordered one for my wife :)

[)amien

Which switches did you get?  Can you bring it to the Retro DSA party?

- Ron I samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Surnia

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 19:34:35 »
well according to mechanicalkeyboards.com the PBTs are lasered... I hope they are. ordering my set from Qtan!

Noppoo Choc Mini with MX Black | Filco 104 MJ2 Ninja with MX Black

Offline Chase5delta

• Keyboardoholic
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 19:40:08 »
Ended up getting the White Keycool 84 with reds and PBT caps. 94 bucks for a board with pbt caps and good quality, nice.
Filco MJ2 TKL (Mx Blues) Keycool 84 (Mx Reds)

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 12 April 2013, 20:54:23 »
Which switches did you get?  Can you bring it to the Retro DSA party?
It's white PBT with black switches and I certainly can.

Also have: Topre 88UB 45g, IBM Model M UK, DAS 2 MX Blue, DAS 3 MX Blue, Goldtouch numeric MX Brown and a few UK 8-bit computers that have mechanical keyboards. Let me know what you want to try :)

[)amien