Author Topic: Cherry MX clears arrived... wait for Phantom PCB+plate or mod DAS?  (Read 959 times)

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
So 100 of these little guys arrived, they're so tactile and yet not clicky. Exactly what I was hoping browns would be.

Do I wait for my Phantom PCB and plate to arrive or do I open up my DAS 2 and stem+spring swap a whole load of them.

How difficult is it to swap stems/springs and are the keys worse off for it? Worried about little bits of plastic breaking...

[)amien

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Cherry MX clears arrived... wait for Phantom PCB+plate or mod DAS?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:32:23 »
I would wait for your phantom, it's only ~2 more weeks. If you install on your DAS, first of all you'd need to desolder all the switches on there, then solder on the clears. For phantom, you just need to solder. Second, DAS is a full size board so you'll have 4 switches that are not the same.

If you swap to a light spring and turn them into ergo clears, the tactile will be even more noticeable. Here is the process, skip to 33 minutes for swapping spring/stem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ_2GxeR4Es#t=33m05s

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Cherry MX clears arrived... wait for Phantom PCB+plate or mod DAS?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:49:19 »
Don't need to desolder for Das II. It's a rebranded G80-3000. :)

Everything else WFD said is spot on.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 April 2013, 20:58:03 »
Yeah phantom sounds a better choice, because Das is 104 key.  Though if you end up going that route I'd probably use a different switch for caps lock, num lock, scroll lock and maybe esc.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline DamienG

• DamienG
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 01:41:34 »
Yeah my DAS 2 has PCB mounted blues - my DAS 3 has the plate mount.

Wasn't thinking of a permanent thing just thinking about trialing the clears on a board until all these parts come together. Well, hopefully my Phantom with retro sphericals will be at least partially assembled by the end of the month...

[)amien

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 07:55:20 »
If you're only wanting to try them out and you have a PCB mounted board they can be easily swapped in and out of like the Das II, then the real question is why wouldn't you put them in the Das and try them out?

Offline Larken

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 08:07:58 »
If you are willing to take the trouble, why not? I did the same thing when my clears came in. But keep in mind that it is a pretty troublesome process and when your phantom comes in, you would have to open up your DAS again to restore it to its original state.

that's three keyboards worth of modding compared to just doing it one time if you'd wait for your phantom to come.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |