Author Topic: Mech boards in public  (Read 1448 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Mech boards in public
« on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 03:26:55 »
So I wanted to start a thread showcasing mechanical keyboards found in public places and not your own.  This idea came to me at the checkout counter at a local Menards store and noticed that her keyboard was a Cherry.  Well I politely asked the cashier if I could take a picture of the keyboard.  When she asked why I told her that I was a member on a forum that is all about mechanism all keyboards and Cherry is a very sought after name.  She called over a customer service rep and after telling her the same thing she told me "no because corporate gets kind of funny". 

It was a full sized board and the layout resembled the 7bit layout with the extra keys above the cursor keys and 3 extra above the numpad.  It also had a bunch of relegendables in it.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Jamesbeat

Re: Mech boards in public
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 06:18:14 »
Could have been the same one as the one I just bought; a Cherry G80-8113.
I bought it for work because it was cheap, but it's meant for POS use and has extra relegendable keys and a credit card reader.
Actually, I desoldered the extra keys last night and stuck a plastic blanking plate over the holes. They looked kinda weird.

Offline Dgsbllx

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 06:23:43 »
I don't know who is the craziest. You for asking to take a photograph, the cashier for asking the customer service rep about such a request, or the customer service rep declining on the grounds that corporate will get funny about it.  :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 07:31:36 »
No exactly in public but I've been watching Eureka! (circa 2006) on Netflix and their keyboards have all white blank keys and kind of resemble some of the korean boads.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 07:45:28 »
I see mechanical keyboards all the time in airports. Mostly Deskos with 1x RGBs. Maybe I should snap a picture one day if I can.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:12:19 »
I see mechanical keyboards all the time in airports. Mostly Deskos with 1x RGBs. Maybe I should snap a picture one day if I can.
Taking photos of hardware in the airport....hmmm...I think no one would care...go for it :)
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:14:48 »
I think the airport here is using Access-IS keyboards, with Cherry MX switches and a TrackPoint next to the arrow keys.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline jabar

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:15:47 »
Are the airport Deskos just really old ones or are they new? My airport is newish but the Deskos look dirty and ancient.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:18:38 »
Taking photos of hardware in the airport....hmmm...I think no one would care...go for it :)
I have to be careful what I'm doing there. A couple flights ago, after going through their machine, they asked if I had something in my back pocket, which I obviously didn't. So they had to feel me up. After they determined I satisfactorily wasn't concealing things on my buttocks, they decided I needed to be swiped down for explosives making. SOooo, I went and did that. They asked me if I made any bombs lately, and I said not that I knew of.

For all I know, they may think I'm trying to make keyboard bombs or something.

Are the airport Deskos just really old ones or are they new? My airport is newish but the Deskos look dirty and ancient.
I haven't paid much attention. Just a glance here or there. I first looked to see if they had Desko RGBs, but when I noticed they were mostly 1x, I didn't pay much attention after that. I'll have a look again next time I fly.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:21:01 by esoomenona »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:24:16 »
Need to forge techservices ID badge for the airport, and steal all the Desko RGBs LOL.
Around here they use G80-11900 at the post office and I spotted G80-8200 at local Advance auto parts.

Offline jabar

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:38:25 »
Although I've seen many cheapo RD keyboards at retail outlets, NY&Co. had some DS Cherry MX board... didn't get a good look over the counter. Likely a G80-8200HAD though.
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:38:54 »
Men's Warehouse uses the MY version of the 11900, so... G81-11900?

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:44:53 »
at the Denver airport the mech boards are grimy as hell. they do have color RGB modifiers though. a few weeks ago when I was traveling i commented on the keyboard the gate agent was using to check people into the flights. i told her that she had a nice keyboard to which her response was "really? i hate this stupid thing. i want a new keyboard!". i told her that next time i was in the airport i would bring her a brand new HP keyboard and trade her.

if i had to guess the lady was using some kind fo G80 variant but i am not sure.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 11 April 2013, 09:51:41 »
I do know the most United States Post offices use Cherry Keyboards and the ones at my mothers post office (shes the post master) they have Cherry MX Blacks but they have a membrane over them, my guess is to protect from spills) I will try and get a picture some time.
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ