Author Topic: Recommendations for my needs.  (Read 1559 times)

Offline af

Recommendations for my needs.
« on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 19:07:59 »
Hi all,

Have decided to bite the bullet and buy myself a mechanical keyboard, but I am a bit overwhelmed with all of the different options.

I am not a gamer, so that's not a requirement. However I do type lots, both code (programming) and text. As such, I'm thinking Cherry Blue switches but I'm open to other options. I am a fairly forceful typist, and find most dome keyboards too soft and subsequently jar my fingers.

At home, noise isn't a huge issue but at the office it might be (one guy had a Das Keyboard and was asked to not use it by some colleagues as it's far too loud, not sure what switches he uses though), especially since I tend to give my keys a pounding.

Here are my other requirements:
  • No backlights
  • Must be able to work well with Mac and Linux (if I like it, I intend to buy two as I like to have the same peripherals on all of my machines)
  • Tenkeyless preferred
  • Would prefer built-in USB ports so I can plug my trackball in and possibly also foot switches. This is not essential.
  • Maybe blank key caps would be okay, so I can remap it to my heart's content.
  • Must be able to be shipped to Australia

Money isn't really an issue, but would prefer something under $200.

Help greatly appreciated.

- af

Offline Abacus1234

Re: Recommendations for my needs.
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 14 April 2013, 19:22:25 »
I think any mechanical keyboard you get will be louder than almost any rubber dome keyboard. I think it really depends on what you think you'll like. I personally like a tactile switch, but that might not be important for you. It sounds like your colleague was probably using Cherry MX Blues, which are the loudest of the cherry switches.

I would recommend a keyboard with MX Black switches. They have a higher actuation force and will be quite a bit quieter than blues or browns for typing on. DAS Keyboards are very solid. Other brands to look at would be CM Storm, Filco, Ducky, or even Rosewill. There are tons of options out there, and I'm pretty certain that you would prefer blacks over the other common switches. An example would be:

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majestouch-2-Keyboard-FKBN104ML-EB2/dp/B0053U3Z8G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365985294&sr=8-1&keywords=filco

That is a high end one, and since you said you were willing to spend up to $200, it should be in your range.

Offline omgFiRE

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 02:20:41 »
However I do type lots, both code (programming) and text. As such, I'm thinking Cherry Blue switches but I'm open to other options. I am a fairly forceful typist, and find most dome keyboards too soft and subsequently jar my fingers.

At home, noise isn't a huge issue but at the office it might be (one guy had a Das Keyboard and was asked to not use it by some colleagues as it's far too loud, not sure what switches he uses though), especially since I tend to give my keys a pounding.

Sounds like Cherry MX White. They should be more quiet (but still clicky) and more stiff than MX Blue.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=210
White Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless FKBN87M/EFW2 (Cherry MX Brown), CM Storm QuickFire Rapid SGK-4000-GKCL1-US (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline Abacus1234

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 10:32:11 »
However I do type lots, both code (programming) and text. As such, I'm thinking Cherry Blue switches but I'm open to other options. I am a fairly forceful typist, and find most dome keyboards too soft and subsequently jar my fingers.

Sounds like Cherry MX White. They should be more quiet (but still clicky) and more stiff than MX Blue.

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=210

Did I misunderstand, or did he want something quieter for office use? He said his cooworker got scolded for having a very loud keyboard.

Offline omgFiRE

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 11:16:47 »
Did I misunderstand, or did he want something quieter for office use? He said his cooworker got scolded for having a very loud keyboard.

That is why I mentioned Cherry MX White, which is quieter than Cherry MX Blue:
White Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless FKBN87M/EFW2 (Cherry MX Brown), CM Storm QuickFire Rapid SGK-4000-GKCL1-US (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline af

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 00:44:41 »
Hi All,

Just wanted to say thanks for your help. I ended up trying someone's keyboard with Greens and actually found them too heavy, believe it or not. I've since bought a Das Ultimate with Blues and I'm very happy. Though I'm still looking for a new board for work as the blues are definitely way too loud. But I'm certainly in love with the one I have at home and just can't see myself ever liking rubber domes again.

Thanks,
-af

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 00:50:14 »
If you like the weight and tactile feedback of blues, but want a more quiet keyboard for work, perhaps ergo-clear would fit that role. Although, ergo clear is not a switch you can buy, you must mod clear switches with a lighter springs because the stock ones are heavy (similar weight as the greens you tried).

Offline Thechemist

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 00:58:37 »
If you like the weight and tactile feedback of blues, but want a more quiet keyboard for work, perhaps ergo-clear would fit that role. Although, ergo clear is not a switch you can buy, you must mod clear switches with a lighter springs because the stock ones are heavy (similar weight as the greens you tried).

This or the new Leopold FC660C with Topre switches should be quiet and tactile since that is what you are looking for.

Offline af

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 01:07:34 »

I've actually found that the weight is no longer a factor provided there's tactile feedback. Have found that the adjustment was very easy and now I can type easily without bottoming out. I think the reason I used to hammer on the keys was simply because there was no feedback. But the nice bump the Blues give has remedied that and I could not be more happy with it.

I thought that the Greens would still mean that I would jar my fingers because of the extra force needed to activate the key switches (even without bottoming out), so I decided to steer clear. But don't get me wrong, the tactile feedback was just as awesome as the blues.