Author Topic: Recommendations on a quiet 60% board  (Read 1239 times)

Offline hoonose

Recommendations on a quiet 60% board
« on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 00:45:43 »
I got my first mech board a few months ago (Das with Cherry blues) and I love it. However, it's far too loud to use at the office, and a bit awkward to travel with (my friends told me to just use my laptop keyboard when travelling - I figure you guys would sympathize more :P).

Anyway, my desired attributes are:
  • Quieter switches. I've tried Cherry Blues and Browns (tried out a Das with browns). I think Blues would be too loud, but Browns seem OK.
  • 60% design. I'm looking for something that's small and easy to travel with
  • I'd like arrow keys rather than right ctrl,alt,shift, since I never use those keys
  • this is a bit of a strange one - I'd like the \ key to be in the "regular" position (above enter, below backspace). Alternatively, a \ which is easier to reach than the current location. This one probably isn't a dealbreaker, since remapping is easy. I use LaTeX for typesetting, which relies heavily on \.  I found an old keyboard at the office with space invader switches which is OK (albeit pretty dirty, haven't got a chance to clean it yet), but the \  is next to the += key, which is a bit weird to get used to.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Offline omgFiRE

Re: Recommendations on a quiet 60% board
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 01:19:43 »
my friends told me to just use my laptop keyboard when travelling
There is some people who like some good scissor keyboards (like some thinkpad do have). You could also try Cherry ML for cheap
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cherry-Slimline-Keyboard-83-Keys-USBPS2-Grey-G844100-/380553840843

Quieter switches. I've tried Cherry Blues and Browns (tried out a Das with browns).
In case of Cherry look at non-clicky switches: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Cherry_MX
You could also use dampener (o-ring) to muffle bottom out.

I think Blues would be too loud, but Browns seem OK.
If you like Blues, I think it would be reasonable to ask your colleagues first, than limit yourself with probably non-existent limitation. Blues and Browns not only sound different, they also feel different.

I'd like arrow keys rather than right ctrl,alt,shift, since I never use those keys

I think any 60% will fit. Some keyboards have option to switch right shift to arrow, like poker or pure http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?keyword=pure&in_stock=on

Some keyboards have dedicated arrows: TEX Beetle, Filco MINILA, Pure Pro (Poker 2), Leopold FC660M, Matias Mini Quiet Pro.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2013, 01:46:30 by omgFiRE »
White Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Tenkeyless FKBN87M/EFW2 (Cherry MX Brown), CM Storm QuickFire Rapid SGK-4000-GKCL1-US (Cherry MX Blue)

Offline TAdams

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 01:32:00 »
I agree with omgfire. For cherry mx switches, you could use o-rings to minimize noise if you tend to bottom out.
i want to unsee that - eyebleach plz!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 April 2013, 02:11:53 »
Looks like the TEX keyboard might work for you (note that it has non-standard staggering and right shift.

I recommend to check Cherry MX Clear (or ergo clears), they're quieter and much more tactile than browns IMHO.