Author Topic: Keycap Questions  (Read 3775 times)

Offline kelbear

• (。◕‿‿◕。) PIEPIEPIE~~
    • WorthyList
Keycap Questions
« on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 10:15:18 »
Just a heads up, I'm relatively new to keyboards and customization so please pardon me if I'm asking questions that have obvious answers.

I just received my Filco Majestouch 2 and I wanted to find some nice keycaps to use. I've been reading and the most common topic I've come across has always been PBT vs ABS. To my understanding, PBS resists shine "better" than ABS, but they're also much more expensive and harder to find. I've been looking all over and PBS is so rare to find in the colour I'm looking for.. should I just go ahead with ABS?

I've been looking through the GH forum and I came across the Valentine set (I fell in love  :eek:). I asked a couple people already and it seems that these keys (new set) will be hard (if not impossible) to find as they were sold over a year ago. I've tried to replicate the Valentine set off WASD but I cannot choose the font colour to use on the keys as I want white on pink and pink on white like the Valentine set. Are there any other places that offer similar services?

I love the look of white keys, but I'm a little hesitant in terms of colour change (getting dirty, turning yellow, etc); is this really something I should be worrying about or should I just go ahead with it?

Offline PointyFox

Re: Keycap Questions
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 11:22:06 »
You mean PBT. I personally have never noticed any difference; and actually prefer shiny keycaps (helps me to slide my fingers to different keys better). I just go with what looks the best to me. I don't think you have to worry about white keycaps getting dirty.  They'll never match the keyboard anyway. White is never really white.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 11:29:01 »
I honestly like ABS as much as PBT. But...I also say this while I'm typing on my Valentine's set. :P 

Seriously though, I think the ABS vs PBT debate is all personal preference. Some people only do PBT caps, others don't mind either or. Some people say ABS ONLY  if its Cherry Doubleshots and that SP caps are way too thin. =shrugs=

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 12:06:58 »
The only thing I really hate are coated keycaps.  Never again.

edit: and engraved, dat dirt-trough
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline kelbear

• (。◕‿‿◕。) PIEPIEPIE~~
    • WorthyList
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 18:56:01 »
Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone have a supplier they would recommend?

I'm dying to get my hands on a new set of the GB Valentine's set, but it looks like they won't be selling those for a while..

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 18 April 2013, 18:59:00 »
Klaxon or the Red Alert Remake set just shipped. If you wait a little while, you might be able to buy some in the classifieds soon.

Otherwise you can try Signature Plastics or WASD Keyboards.

Offline kelbear

• (。◕‿‿◕。) PIEPIEPIE~~
    • WorthyList
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 09:06:59 »
Thanks CPTBadAss :D

I've been browsing Signature Plastics and looking for the right keycap family. Do you happen to know which family the default Filco MJ2 belongs to?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 06:20:44 »
The Filco caps are Filco OEM. I think most SP stuff that GH gets made (i.e. Klaxon and other GBs) is DCS? That means their closer to Cherry profile and are lower than the Filco caps (which I like). But I'm not sure. To be sure? Post in in Simple Questions, Simple Answers thread and I'm sure someone smarter than me will answer your question correctly.

Offline ManagerKun

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 24 April 2013, 08:43:33 »
Thanks for the replies!

Does anyone have a supplier they would recommend?

I'm dying to get my hands on a new set of the GB Valentine's set, but it looks like they won't be selling those for a while..

Also, most of the recent GB are going to be featured on techkeys.us so if you wait a bit you might get lucky and get a set.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:30:58 »
Get what your heart desires :D.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:32:53 »

The heart always desires the Valentine's set :D

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:51:16 »

The heart always desires the Valentine's set :D

I know! She keeps talking about it day in day out...maybe one day...she'll get a hold of one :D.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 14:57:29 »
LOL I'm sorry. I was half joking haha. I seriously love my set though. :D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 15:08:37 »
CPT is right about the SP caps being DCS family. Your best bet, if you really want a Valentine's set is to get 60 posts under your belt and start a WTB thread in the classifieds. I would bet someone would sell you a set in not too much time.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 15:17:03 »
Yes! Thanks for the confirmation Moose. Knowledge is good

Offline aesthetics1

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 18:14:35 »
The question is not necessarily always PBT vs ABS (flamers gonna flame?), but the printing method on either type of keycap is also important. ABS may wear more quickly, but if you want exotic or custom sets like the valentine's set, you are probably stuck with ABS from SP for a while (most common group buys). If you want more durable caps where shine is concerned, you will probably have to settle for more standard colored (beige, black, white, etc) sets.

ABS with pad-printed legends is going to wear out relatively quickly, whereas ABS with doubleshot is going to stick around, even if it gets a bit shiny.

I think you would be happy with ABS from SP in one of the group buys. Keep an eye out, unless you're OK waiting a lifetime for the GMK stuff to come through. I picked up a set of the white on purple just to try 'em out.

Good luck on your search.
Home: Filco Majestouch TKL MX Red | Work: Ducky Shining (Blue LED) MX Black | Collection: CM Quickfire Rapid MX Red

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:20:21 »
CPT is right about the SP caps being DCS family. Your best bet, if you really want a Valentine's set is to get 60 posts under your belt and start a WTB thread in the classifieds. I would bet someone would sell you a set in not too much time.

I will try that! Thanks for the input :D.

Even if I try to get a hold of a potential seller, it might be more expensive considering they're not in production anymore :(.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:31:48 »

I suggest you to try by yourself the different options for key caps, because as many have told you is a matter of personal preferences.

To add some information over what have been said, check the wiki's on materials and printing for caps:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Keycap_construction
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Keycap_printing

In summary the main variations for caps are:

Materials: PBT, ABS, POM, a few are made of non ferrous die casted metals, but they are expensive and do not have legends, they cannot be considered main stream caps.

Printing: Pad printed, lasered, dye sublimation and double shots, which is not a printing process, but a molding technique that allows to have plastics of two or even three different colors in the cap surface, most of the DS are made of ABS, but there are a few made of PBT, I just found mods made of PBT double shots, I have not seen a full set made of PBT with double shot legends yet, maybe the gurus at GH may enlighted us.

Profiles: sculpted, spherical, cylindrical and flat.

Wall thickness: Thin - like WASD caps, medium thickness and thick.

Availabilty:

For double shots the sources are donor boards by cherry and Signature Plastics, recently GMK began doing businesses with GH with the mods group buy, not for full sets yet, sherriton and his multiple sites may be an option, however I have no experience with him, there are rummors of outstanding orders, payment problems and deficient communication.

In my short personal experience the actual sources for double shots have been the marketplace at GH and eBay with donor boards, I went into the group bay with GMK as well. I prefer the profile, material, thickness and texture of original cherries, so if I buy another set it would be either from a donor board or from GMK through group buys.

PBT with dye sub are available as well in GH market place in different colors and fonts. I have one PBT dye sub set and while I liked it, I prefer the cherry double shots by all means.

My grain of salt.
« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:33:46 by ideus »

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:49:42 »
I have tried quite a few different types of keycaps. Personally I do not have as strong a preference as some people have. I type comfortable on both PBT and ABS. I hate how "shiny" ABS keys look when the keys are black, but they never get uncomfortable to me. I do use some PBT on my main keyboard and find the surface texture and feel of the material to be very nice. I think it is mostly a preference thing, even if a lot of people make it sound like PBT will provide an objectively better typing experience.

Some options for PBT sets are Qtan and Feng, which you can find on ebay (check their vendor forums), and IMSTO (who offers a thicker PBT with a different profile).  ABS can be bought at WASD among other places. Double shot ABS sets are available through signature plastics, I think keypop have some sets available as well. You can also just check the various group buys or classifieds to see if you can find something interesting. Generally, when it comes to color for example, you are a little more restricted when you go for PBT or double shot, while you can find almost anything in regular ABS.

« Last Edit: Fri, 26 April 2013, 19:52:06 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline kelbear

• (。◕‿‿◕。) PIEPIEPIE~~
    • WorthyList
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 23:14:28 »
Wow, thanks for the answers! :D

Extremely helpful, I will definitely use this newfound knowledge on my quest for keycaps :)

Will probably keep a lookout for upcoming group buys and try them out.